Hotel Pension Columbus

Bode MuseumBode Museum

First time from India to Berlin via Frankfurt

by metalhawk

Hi All,

I'm traveling to Berlin on a business trip for 2 weeks, from India to Berlin via Frankfurt.

Can you please kindly let me know the the immigration process.
I know only English, will it be difficult for me not knowing German ? Can you please let me know any tips to know the common general words to know...

I'm planning to stay at hotel near to my workplace. Kindly add suggestions.

I'm looking at these forum, are most of them are related to tourism, so could not find any relevant information. Any kind of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Ravi

by Turtleshell

> Can you please kindly let me know the the immigration process.

You want to check with the local German embassy if you need a working permit.

> I know only English, will it be difficult for me not knowing German ?

Unlikely, though many Berliners learned Russian at school - not English.
It's always a good idea to buy a phrase book.

> I'm planning to stay at hotel near to my workplace.

And this would be where? :-)

> I'm looking at these forum, are most of them are related to tourism,
> so could not find any relevant information.

What exactly do you miss?

by leics

You really will need a phrasebook for signs and menus, so buy one which suits you.

Most people will understand at least a bit of English, but try to learn basic phrases for please, thank you, sorry, how much, where is etc. This page will help:

by abalada

As a citizen of India you need a visa for a business trip to Germany.

> an you please kindly let me know the the immigration process.
As long you have your visa for Germany there is not much process to talk about.
We also call the "immigration controls" just "entry controls" or "ID controls" (translated).
You show your passport with the visa and that's it. No language problem here. Guess the officers there would be rather confused if you start throwing some German words on them. In this case better stick to English.
Generally:
- some German phrases like for no, yes, thank you etc. will be appreciated (and you can't do much wrong)
- at places which are used to tourists/business travelers you can easily survive with English (airports, bigger railway stations, hotels, tourist offices, ...).
- keep in mind that your counterpart is not a native English speaker. And has learned in first place "English" English. Not exactly the derivatives of English you can find on the streets of India or Texas.

by metalhawk

Dear All,
I'm really THANKFUL for all those prompt replies.

I have a TYPE C Visa.

I booked my hotel, (as this was 6km from my work place) at
ART OTEL BERLIN CITY CENTER W
LIETZENBURGER STRASSE 85
BERLIN, 10719

I would buy a phrase book as suggested..

THANKS SO MUCH,
Ravi.

Travel Tips for Berlin

Outplatzing the best - Potsdammer Platz

by Ekaterinburg

I'm not going to repeat a whole lot of guide book facts and figures about Potsdammer Platz but I do want to say that I think it's absolutely fabulous. Though I passed by several times during the day, it was only on my last night that I got to walk through it and spend some time there. After the concert at the Philharmonie we walked up and I now think, that on foot, at night is posibly one of the best ways to encounter it. Obviously none of the shops were open at 11OOp.m but it was still fairly hopping with people, noise and music. Approaching from the Kulturforum, we got the full 3-d effect of the looming towers of glass and steel, all lit up like Christmas trees. Inside, looking up at the Sony Centre canopy I actually felt awestruck - the sort of feeling I mostly associate with childhood and seeing movies about faraway exotic places. That was a nice feeling and one not experienced too often. It's hard to single out any one aspect, just the entire combination of water, ice ( Winter world ) blue light, glass and steel. It felt more like Manhattan than Berlin and for me it was really magical.

Later, in the Potsdammer Platz station I took this photo of the area in pre-war times. What's there now is one of Berlin's more daring and innovative transformations and one that definitely works. Unfortunately, none of the photos I took are worth uploading, as once again, my camera was simply not up to the job. It was in Berlin I decided I had to have a camera that would work in all lighting conditions and I'm happy to say that I am now the proud owner of a Canon SLR digital. Next time I'll definitely have decent photos to illustrate this brilliant showcase of modern architecture

Service Charges

by keeweechic

Service charges are generally added to restaurant and hotel bills in Berlin, making tipping unnecessary. Some of the smaller cafes and bars are excluded from this custom and it is standard practice to round up the bill to the nearest Deutschmark.

Sales or Use Tax: In Germany, a 16% value-added tax (Mehrwertsteuer - MwSt) is already reflected in the prices of most goods and services; the MwSt rate on books is 7%. Tourists living outside the European Union are eligible for a refund for most of the tax paid on gifts or souvenirs. Make sure you get a Tax-Free form from the store at the time of your purchase. This form should be filled out with your receipt attached. At your final departure from the European Union you must show the completed forms and the items you purchased to customs authorities who will stamp the documents. (Do not put the corresponding items in your checked luggage.) You can then claim your refund immediately through the private company Europe Tax Free Shopping, which has offices at all airports, major road borders and ferry stations. If you forget to collect your refund immediately, you can also mail your forms, with proper customs stamps, to Europe Tax-Free Shopping Processing Centre, Trubelgasse 19, 1030 Vienna, Austria.

Postfuhramt

by yooperprof

It's just a post-office!

But when it was built in the late 19th century, this terra-cotta palace was also used as stables for post-horses. Nice to see that they treated their animals so well!

At the intersection of Orienburgerstr. and Tucholskystr., just to the north of the Spree.

original berlin fashion designerista

by miromi about Betty Bund

one of my ex roommates worked for this crazy company. they design lots of space-age, kitschy, uniquely berlin fashions, although I've never had enough cash to buy anything there myself. they are always having crazy fashion shows at the clubs around town

Potsdamerplatz. A huge...

by ucbwalker

Potsdamerplatz. A huge capitalist pleasure palace has been erected over the old square, complete with restaurants, bars, an Imax theater, a film museum, and more. The roof of the central courtyard is modeled after Mount Fuji, and its color drifts from blue to red to purple periodically. It puts San Francisco's Metreon to shame.

Comments