Kempinski Hotel Bristol Berlin

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 51% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

The Old Classic

Located perfectly on the Ku'damm, the Bristol meets every requirement for a 5 star hotel with every imaginable service offered. Over 300 rooms, with 50 suites, along with bars, spas, gyms, an arcade of very upscale stores, and Berlin's first indoor hotel pool (1952). Berlin's undisputed premier hotel before the fall of the Berlin Wall, the Bristol maintains an old world ambience. The plush low ceiling lobby with red leather seating, green marble floors and columns, stylish tables, and the famous Bristol Bar ( the bartender won best in Europe this year from Gault Millau) lead to an efficient desk with full-time concierge. The hallways are plush, the elevators modern, and the rooms small but soundproof with comfortable beds and adequate storage. The marble bathrooms are small as well and were undoubtedly state of the art 20 years ago. Some would call the hotel old-fashioned and reasonably stylish, but hardly distinguished. Of course, we also picked off a significantly discounted internet rate and certainly didn't warrant the best room in the house. Proserpina was less pleased, 5 stars or not - "dated". With the new hotels built in the Mitte district, this facility is no longer in the extreme upper echelon, so that significantly discounted rates off rack on the internet are easily available - search the internet and enjoy 5 stars for considerably less than many other similar class hotels.

The Kempinski family history goes back to 1862 with the establishment of a restaurant and wine store, expanding in the early 20th Century to hotel ownership. The properties were expropriated in 1939 and the family forced to emigrate. One of the very few family members who survived the war, Frederic Unger, opened this hotel in 1952 and the family has steadily increased their holdings of elite hotels over the intervening 55 years.

• Very Nice

Great location in the Western part of Berlin near all of the shopping. Unfortunately I spent the majority of the time in the East part of Berlin where all of the history is. Next time I will stay at the Kempinski in that area

• The Feel of Old Berlin: I love it!

The Kempinski is an old tradtional hotel that is situated on the primary shopping and activity street of what used to be West Berlin. This is an excellent place for buisness and touring. The business services are excellent, the food is pretty good as Berlin food goes. (I've never had a great meal in Berlin and I have been there at least 25 times). If you like some tradition like I do, this is a good stop. I wil not rave about it, but I go back time and time again.

Unique Quality: Great location.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Great for business

Excuse, I didn't stay there, try to guess why? But my friend spent there two nights and... days in 2003 and he was very, very satisfied. No wonder, he didn't pay his hotel bill :-), he was on business there.
    The building of the hotel didn't look very interesting for me to be honest. The locals called the hotel shortly "Kempi".

Unique Quality: Surely the price: over 300 € for "the cheapest" double room (with breakfast :-) and not per week but per night!

My friend told me that Kempinski was luxury hotel at great location in the heart of Berlin with great, great food and facilities for business meetings and... Albert Einstein lived there once.

Directions: At the corner of Kurfürstendamm and Fasanenstraße. More: click here

• In the old tradition

In for two days on business. Great staff. Got things done right away when requested. Small rooms, but usual for Europe. Clean to a fault. Great location.

Unique Quality: Old fashioned service and style. Clerks don't have pierced lips, noses, eyebrows, or cheeks.

Directions: Center of the main drag.

More about Kempinski Hotel Bristol Berlin

Past its peak

by TripAdvisor Member cnelischer

I used to walk past this hotel many times as a teenager, wondering what it would be like, staying the night in a hotel where one night would have blown my weekly budget. Then, in the cold war years, I thought of it as one of the absolute top hotels in town.
I was disappointed when I finally stayed there as a guest. The first impression was quite what I expected, though I did not appreciate being told off by a doorman about smoking outside the hotel, and throwing a cigarette end on the pavement. Reception was as polite and professional as expected, though I found the room tired and in need of refurbishment.
As I took up an offer, paying about what you would expect for a mainstream 4*, I found the value for money OK. Would go again just for the location, but thinking of the hotel as on a par with the usual chains.

great stay

by TripAdvisor Member lincasanova

we spent three lovely nights here last weekend.
the staff was helpful and friendly . i LOVE their beds and pillows. Not accustomed to this level luxury. got super interent rate and couldn't resist.

I do agree with a previous poster that the hallways were a bit dated, but our room was very comfortable and must have been updated. The small size of hotel was enjoyable, and the location cannot be beat. Many reknown restaurants in neighborhood, along with internet cafés, shopping, transport and metro at the door. Three Musketeers Musical two blocks away. Would return if I get good rate again.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member CathyKathleenGA

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in April and we were very disappointed in our room. I do not understand how this place rates five stars. While the location was great for shopping and the public areas were nice, the room was cramped, pitiful, and worn. We also stayed at the Westin Grand (East Berlin) and at the Swissotel in this same area and we were much more pleased with both of these properties.

A hotel that has seen better days

by TripAdvisor Member leipzig

I can only echo some of the comments from fellow travellers. I too had high expectations, but those expectations had been met by the Westin Grand Berlin and in the Steigenberger, so why not here?

I too suspect that unlike the other two hotels I mentioned, that the Kempinski gives those who order rooms via Expedia their ugly ducklings. Our room was not only dated, but also dirty, I felt like I was in a bad version of the pensions I was relegated to during my student years.

The lobby is impressive, but that only made the dingy room seem even worse. I felt like I was in the slum area of the hotel and a high quality hotel should not have any such rooms.

The spa area is nice, but nothing special. The Westin Grand and Steigenberger are far better in this regard (and all other regards too). I agree that the street cafe is great spot to sit and watch the world go by, but I would suggest that you stay at another hotel and then walk over to the Kempinski cafe, which is a far more comfortable place than the room I had.

I cannot recommend this hotel, and I would not stay here again. Berlin is a city full of outstanding hotels, and my experience here has led me to conclude (with all due respect to the Kempinski name), that this hotel has seen better days.

Excellent hotel in West City center Berlin

by TripAdvisor Member Tara-amsterdam

I have stayed here a couple of times. Excellent location on Kurfurstendamm, nice pool/sauna, nice Grill restaurant. Very personal service. Excellent hotel for exploring Berlin.

Hotels in Berlin

by ady_spencer

Can anyone personally recommend somewhere central Berlin as a good place to stay?

I am there next week, Thurs-Sun so require 3 nights accommodation. Looking to pay circa £100 per night, from initial searches it seems like a very expensive place to hotel!

Personal experiences appreciated....

Cheers

by Mikebb

Bookmark

by smirnofforiginal

Hm, well, it is not exactly "central" but it is well located for transport, is clean, includes breakfast & I do recommend it

by Durfun

Q hotel has some good deals, not far from KaDeWe, 85 ukp
Kempinski Hotel Bristol Berlin near Charlottenburg for 92 ukp (pool!)
Park Inn Berlin-Alexanderplatz 60 ukp

I've stayed at the 1st 2.. nice hotels.

Check www.hotels.com for availability.

Wiel gluck (Good luck) :-)

by azz8206

I found the area around the Zoo station and Kurfurstendamm great for restaurants and shopping and the hotels are reasonably priced. My favourite site for booking hotels is booking.com and they've got a great selection. Happy Travels.

by christine.j

In March we stayed in the Motel One at Alexanderplatz and paid much less than £100 per night, 84 Euro. Breakfast was not included, this would have been another 7,50 Euro.
The location is excellent, very central with the Alexanderplatz station very close.Good windows, it was very quiet in the room despite the trains going by.
However, this is not a particularly charming hotel, but just a good place to stay.

For a hotel with muchmore character I can recommend the Kima, but this is off Ku'damm, not as central, but also way under £ 100.

by Orangencocktail