Lette'm Sleep

Lette'm Sleep
Hostelworld.com Priceline.com Booking.com

More about Berlin

The Jewish CemeteryThe Jewish Cemetery

Statue of Marx and Engels, and me!Statue of Marx and Engels, and me!

Tiergarten, BerlinTiergarten, Berlin

Interior concourseInterior concourse

Berlin for the evening

by YolandaC

We are in Berlin for the night (Oct 23) what should we do?? Where should we go?? Help, we are sitting in our hotel room, wondering...

Uh what?
You don't even say what you would like to do. Anyway, it's past 11 pm. If you are still sitting in your hotel room ...

by YolandaC

We heard nothing happens in night life until after midnight...would love to go dancing, where?

by YVRDave

Ka Da We, LOL.
I like a Schnapps and cheese plate at The Adlon or the Kimpinski lobby bars.

Hey Norbert, isn't there an area with a bunch of bars in underground tunnels?

by Turtleshell

Which music style, Yolanda? And where exactly are you?

> Hey Norbert, isn't there an area with a
> bunch of bars in underground tunnels?

Sure. Between Savignyplatz and Alexanderplatz. For restaurant and bars try the area between Friedrichstrasse and Island of Museums.

by YVRDave

Whew, I wasn't that drunk to forget which city I was in.

by Turtleshell

Haha, then come back soon again.

Yolanda:

Indie/Alternative: Duncker, Magnet (Thursday: Indie/Electro), Sage

Jazz/Blues: Quasimodo (not really a place to be if you want to dance, though)
See tip

Electro: Berghain, Maria am Ostbahnhof

Perhaps read my tip on Kulturbrauerei.

Travel Tips for Berlin

As far as sights to see, I...

by scooter3

As far as sights to see, I guess I would suggest the tourist places because they are so full of history and well worth seeing... I saw two different sights of the Berlin Wall, but that was definitely amazing... I can't remember the names of all of the sights, but if you do the walking tour I suggested, you get a chance to stop by all of the places and go back to the places you're really interested in...

A walking tour of Berlin

by alza

At the Circus Hotel, I picked up a flyer advertising 'the best' walking tour of Berlin, an all-day affair. A few tours are offered but this one had been started many years ago by an American expat who had fallen head over heels in love with the city, studied everything about it, etc. I decided to give organised travel a first try & registered.

The guide came by at 10 a.m. sharp the next morning & we went to pick up other walkers at another hotel. Finally, there were a dozen of us, a good mix of Europeans from all nations, a couple of Americans (and me.) Our guide was another American who'd fallen in love with Berlin & been hired by the tour founder. He was young, energetic, enthusiastic & had an anecdote for every building & street corner. And he was huge! He looked like Moses leading his people across the desert.

I was disappointed when he told us that the whole tour would be in former East Berlin, "because that's where all the interesting stuff is." Maybe, but I thought 8 hours should leave time for the rest... Anyway, it was fun & interesting for a couple of hours, although the only focus was on the Berlin Airlift, stories about American forces in Berlin, & the Nazi period. We spent an hour at a wall called Palace of Tears, listening to him recount every anecdote he knew of families separated there. I would have liked to hear about the Berlin of the twenties I guess.

I lost the group at the Brandenburg Gate but went on walking until 9 p.m. Saw a lot but lost a lot of time trying to find the Spree River & walk along it. I'd get to the River on a path but be led away by another path, always to find myself at a place called Grosser Stern or Siegissäule, a victory column which I didn't have the strength to climb.

by richiecdisc

While wandering around Berlin, I noticed a shiny gold dome. It really stood out and I followed it as well as I could and came across the New Synagogue. The original structure in the Moorish style was destroyed in 1938 and there is still heavy security around it due to continued threats. This area is full of corresponding ethnic restaurants and an interesting place to walk around. It's on Oranienburger Strasse and conveniently acrosss from Aufsturz, a great cafe.

If you have money...

by tashka about KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens)

Kaufhaus des Westens (KaDeWe) was built in 1906 and is one of the top five department stores in the world!

Prices are high, so for me it was kind of a nuseum, where I couldn't afford much, but it never hurts to look!

On the sixth floor there is a huge "grocery store" where you can buy virtually any delicacy.

There are a lot of small cafes on the 6th floor too.

KaDeWe is open:

Mon-Fri - from 9:30 to 20:00
Sat - from 9:00 to 16:00

Closed on Sunday.

Cafe am neuen See

by PookieRabbit about Beer Garden

Cafe am neuen See is another beer garden and possibly my favourite. Its located on the southern edge of theTiergarten. As well as beer there are a couple of fast food options there including larges pizzas which where really good.

Comments