Melia Hotel Berlin

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Melia Hotel Berlin

Adequate but Pricey

by TripAdvisor Member TravellingTwoOregon

Hotel Melia Berlin was an acceptable place to stay. My husband and I spent two nights there in May 2007. The hotel was easy to find from the train station (Friedrichstrasse). It is quite large, and has the feeling of a big chain hotel. The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean, large and nicely fitted. There was a small amount of street noise, but we were staying there the night of a big soccer match and the streets overall were very loud. The noise level was not enough to wake me from sleep.

We had two hangups. One was that we had to telephone the hotel to get a reservation because the website wasn't working. The second was that we understood one breakfsat to have been included in the rate of 180 Euros a night. When we checked out, we learned that a 20 Euro breakfast fee had been attached to each night and were told that we had to pay the fee for one breakfast every night whether we ate there or not. Because of that experience, I would not stay there again.

Location, Location, Location

by TripAdvisor Member Kel77

We stayed at the Melia Berlin for four nights in at the start of June
and had a lovely time. The room was a great size.....cleaned daily
....and had a balcony/window looking over the river spree. The location of the hotel is Perfect we only had to take a train once and
that was to the zoo....and is only a 2minute walk to the train station (Friedrichstrasse). We explored the rest of berlin on foot...
brandenburg gate and Unter Den Linden are about a 10 minute walk, Checkpoint Charlie about 20 minutes, Reichstag about 15...the sony centre and potsdamer platz is about a 30 minute walk....even the TV Tower is within walking distance......and there are plenty cafes to stop for a pilsner along the way :- ) Would definately recommend heading up to Orienstrasse for bars/food......it says in the guides its a bit "dodgy" but we found it to be okay......there was a few prostitutes but they don't hassle people for business. There is a fabulous diner called sixties there would recommend for food.....you feel like you are in grease and a bar called bellini that does the best cherry daiquiries....ever. Would also say if going to Berlin Zoo
make sure you get there before either 11.00 or 1.00 and make sure you
are at Knuts enclosure half an hour before as they only bring him out
twice a day for about half an hour....we were lucky enough to see him
.......but there were huge queques of people who never got through.

Anyway back to the Melia, would definately recommend Tapas bar...
food delicious and really reasonable.....don't sit outside though cos
the service takes ages. There is a guy on the concierge that is really helpful too. Also, lobby lounge was pretty lively as far as a lot of hotel lobby go....as in there were a few people there everynight and Strawberry Daiquiris were delightful if a bit pricey.
I will definately go back to Berlin and will definately stay at the Melia again.

Very comfortable hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Jaxterix

For anyone wanting to stay in this wonderful city, you couldn't do much wrong staying at the Melia.

A really good 4 star hotel in a very central location, a short walk from almost all major attractions.

Book an Executive room and you'll be offered the chance to visit the Executive lounge for 30Euros per room per night on top. This gives you breakfast, and unlimited alcoholic beverages for a period of time.

The staff were very friendly overall, but don't rely upon the Concierge for information though. He misinformed us about a tour which almost ruined our trip.

The only other aspect to bear in mind for a few months anyway is the construction work that is going on outside the Hotel. It will spoil your view and ambiance if you opt for the lovely river view, but the good double glazing means that the noise does not disturb you.

Definately stay there again.

Fantastic Property

by TripAdvisor Member houl

Just back from a Long weekend in Berlin! first time there and it is such a fantasttic cosmopolitan place.

We booked one of the level rooms which are the executive rooms for 170 per night. This was worth every cent as this property could not be faulted in any way. The Exec or " level " rooms are on the 7 th floor with fantastic balconies overlooking the river spree and the reichstag in the background.
Large rooms with all the usual including robes slippers and 32" flat TV!
Contemporary boutique in style ( except for the chendeliers in the lobby , dont know why?) every thing feels and looks new as it is only open since October 06. These roooms also give you access to the Exec boardroom,l which is where breakfast is served just to the Exec rooms and what a breakfast with over 12 diffrent cold meats , 7 freshly baked breads and hot buffet with eggs ( not over cooked just bang on) bacon and sausage, 10 juices freshly squezzed. And only about 4-5 people there at any time.

All day then there is a free self service full bar and relaxing lounge with canapes in the evening, a great spot to hot before you head out on the town!

From check in to check out , the staff were miticolous in every ting they did, all smiles , checking up to ensure every thing was ok and enquiring if they could do any thing else for you. Friendly but professional and not intrusive.

I have posted a number of reviews on properties from supposed 3 star to 5 star with trip advisor from good to poor. But by far I will say Hotel Melia have it Bang on!

We are already booking a group of 8 to go in July! and Melia has our business.!
IF you like 4- star boutique conpemorary Hotels .You'd be mad to go any where else for these prices.

Highly recommended.

by TripAdvisor Member citeseer

As other reviewers have said, Hotel Melia is in an excellent location. We walked to all the places of interest in the former East from here and Friedrichstrasse S and U-bahn stations are minutes away. We arrived by train, the new Hauptbahnhof station is one stop away in one direction and Hackeschermarkt (where the highly recommended Original Walking Tours begin) is one stop in the other direction. The Berlin train system is very easy to use, epecially with a Welcome Card which gives unlimited travel.

Our room was on the sixth floor overlooking the River (and the building site) but very quiet. It was surprisingly large and very clean and comfortable, still "as new". The colour scheme: bright green, purple and gold, may not be to everyone's taste.

The Melia has the advantages and disadvantages of a large chain of hotels. Standards are reliable and good but there is a certain inflexibility too. When I asked about the possibility of a later check-out I was told by the man in reception that check-out was 12.00 and ALL the rooms were booked. This may well have been true but I was not reassured by his preemptory reply.

We felt we would not be able to do justice to the breakfast at 20 Euros per person so went down the road to Starbucks instead. There are lots of eating places near the hotel. Breakfast apart, we thought this hotel was very good value and would recommend it highly.

It still smells new

by TripAdvisor Member ynguy

When I arrived at this hotel I really liked the modern design of the lobby with the exception of the tacky chandeliers.
I cannot comment on the efficiency of the check in as the hotel ( Swissôtel ) I stayed before this one had already checked me in over the phone. The only thing I had to do was collecting my keys.
I proceeded to the Level ( their Exec Floor on the 7th and 8th floor ) where I was met by a helpful and very friendly receptionist who guided me through all the amenities on this floor and in the room.
I was impressed by the spacious room with a great view on the river Spree and the dome of the Reichstag. A fruitbasket and water were already laid out which was a nice touch. During my stay I noticed the water was replenished everyday.
i was less enchanted with the stand in the bath shower. In this day and age you expect newly built hotels to go for either a seperate bath and shower or only a walk in shower.
Turndown was provided every evening which is always nice.
Once I hit the sack though I noticed that the duvet was much too thick ( so I turned up the air conditioning ). I think they should have gone for a thinner duvet and the money they had saved on that invested in better quality bedding. Have too say that the bedding certainly had not enough treads per square inch. It felt somewhat rough.
The lounge provided a pretty decent breakfast and you can also order your eggs any way you like. In the afternoon cakes were laid out and in the evening from sixish until 22:30 hot and cold tapas and all kind of alcoholic beverages.
For my 150 Euro's a night ( double occupancy room ) this certainly was a pretty good deal.
The staff was overall excellent!.
Unfortunately the 2 internet stations in the far corner of the lobby had teething problems so the promised internet was not avaiable during my 5 nigth stay.
As I usually like to take a taxi ( they are cheap and operated by excellent drivers who do not bother you with chit chat only when you want it) I found out that it is not possible to have a taxi rank due to the location to the hotel. One has to ask reception for one and wait a few minutes.

Definitely worth a stay

by TripAdvisor Member Lainee_L

I've used Trip Advisor many times to book hotels and I have to honestly say that after reading all the very good reviews for this hotel, it didn't disappoint.

The hotel is huge, the room had good decor/furnishings and it was both clean and more than comfortable. The staff were helpful and booked us a taxi back to the airport. Most importantly it was a very good price for the type and quality of hotel.

The hotel is ideally located on Friedrichstrasse, which is one of the main roads in the Mitte part of the city. All the main sights are within walking distance from the hotel - Museum island, the Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag, the TV tower and it's not too far to the east-meeting point of the Original Walking Tour, which I would definitely recommend. If you've got a spare few hours, the German History Museum on Unter the Linten is good value for money and has quite a few good exhibitions. A visit to the TV tower and the Reichstag are also musts but you might have to queue a while for both.

Modern comfy hotel, great location and great service

by TripAdvisor Member john017

the location was great, just opposit the major train hub with lots of shops, on the semi-eastern part of the berlin.
the hotel was superb. the rooms comfy and clean, the WC room was great, the service beyond excellent and the food amazing.
this is a great choise.

Simply Fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member AlexRobin

The pictures you see posted by travelers are exactly what the rooms look like. New, modern and very clean. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel only praises. Great location (near the train), close to places of interest and 15 mins from TEGEL. Our room was overlooking the river elbe and it was just beautiful. They have a tapas restaurant in the hotel, grocery is in the train station and points of interests are just walking distance away.

The service is ok, nothing worth praising for but nothing worth criticizing. We got a rate of 103 Euro per night which is an extremely great deal. It has all the room amenities of a 5 star hotel. I was very satisfied with this hotel and will definitely use it again if we are ever back in Berlin.

Teneriffe Spain

by yarondo

TENERIFE

IT’S ADVISABLE NOT TO LEAVE ANYTHING IN THE CAR – THE THIEVES AND THE GIPSIES ARE ALL AROUND WAITNG FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO FIND AN EASY BURGLARY AND GET AWAY WITH YOUR VALUABLES. DON’T LEAVE NOTHING VISIBLE IN THE CAR NOT EVEN A MAP !!!.

We advise you to rent a car – it’s cheaper then the excursions and you are free to take your time and not bound to their schedule… also traveling by bus for 2 people is more expensive then to rent a car.

A beautiful island – its magnificent cliffs running from high above straightly down to the blue sea with it natural ponds made by lava and basalt rocks. The beaches are black pebbled. The weather if fine all around the year.

We stayed in Tenerife for a week – the island is small and you can drive from coast to coast in 3 hour.

We spent our vacation at the beautiful city of Puerto de la Cruz – on the north side of the island, it has a yacht port and beaches. Our hotel, the “Magec” is situated in a very convenient spot, with parking lots nearby. The city with its tiny streets and big “plazas” full of restaurants wine cellars and tourist shops and of course a lot of tourist from all around the world seeking for the sun and good weather. There are also discotheques suitable for all ages and of course the most magnificent one is in the Playa Martianez – during the day a complex of natural basing and modern installations and attractions and at night a fabulous night club were you can dine and dance and after then watch an international show.

On the shore side we found the Tourist Information Center where we found maps and tips how to travel around and also a suggestion how to do the island in 3 days.

On our first day we travel to north east side of the island spotted with caved beaches and cliffs. We took the road to Tacaronte and continued until we reached the high point of Punta del Hidlago and from there we continued around until we reached Santa Cruz – the capital of island. Its convenient to park at the underground parking near the port.

We take a day to travel to the Teide – the volcano which created the island. The way there is very interesting (take with you jackets because it is very windy).

From the Teide we drove to the west coast to the north and visited the beautiful and picturesque villages of : Santiago del Teide, Los Gigantes, Garachico with its unique port that once was the most important at the whole island, Icod de los Vinos known by the “Dragon Tree” an about 2000 years old tree still florid - a sanctuary for the Guanches and also for its wine production. Tacoronte, La Laguna, La Candelaria, Gumar, Los realejos and others.

On another day we traveled to to Orotava were we found a craft museum at Casa Torrehermosa and Casa de Los Balcones.

At the south part of island the beaches are as in every other place – the sun always high above the sky – visit Playa de Las Americas and Los Cristianos.

More info:

Hotels Sol Melia:

http://www.solmelia.es/cgi-bin/frame/frame http://www.red2000.com/spain/canarias/tenerife/1teneri.html

All about Spain:

The Levetzowstrasse MemorialThe Levetzowstrasse Memorial

Missouri-Dolly and me have (your) back here tooMissouri-Dolly and me have (your) back here too

View over the cityView over the city

Remains of Palast der Republik 04/08Remains of Palast der Republik 04/08

Hotels Near Hauptbahnhof

by Archway

I wonder if anyone can help me with hotels in Berlin. I'm looking for an affordable hotel near the main station. I have done numerous searches, but I can't seem to find any hotels in the immediate vicinity. Ideally the hotel should be 10 - 15 minutes (walking distance) away from the station. I was thinking of a hotel in Invaliden Str or Alt-Moabit or Washington Platz.

Also, are the areas near the station (like Washington Platz) safe and OK to be in at night?

(The only reason I’m looking for a hotel near the main station is because I have to get a train at 06:30 and I don’t know what time the U and S bahn start running in the morning. Even if they start early, I don’t want to be too far from the station, maybe 10 minutes away by U or S bahn). #

Many thanks

by r13

Hi,

In www.booking.com you can select hotels near "main objects" - also Main Station. Seems that in the range to 2 km mainly 3-4 stars hotels are located, but there are also hostels and chap hotels listed.

by sabsi

Hi, the reason why you can't find hotels right next to the Hauptbahnhof is because there is NOTHING right next to Hauptbahnhof. It was built in the middle of nowhere and is not yet connected to the subway network.

If you choose a hotel near the main S-Bahn-route (e.g. Friedrichstraße, Alexanderplatz, Zoo) you will be fine though. S-Bahns won't take more than a few minutes and they run early in the morning. I checked to be on the safe side, at 5.30 they run frequently already.

Hope this helps!
Sabine

by Archway

Many thanks for the replies and information. I found it very useful. At least I know now why I can't find hotels nearby. I shall now search for hotels near a S or U-Bahn stop, but not too far from Hauptbahnhof.

by Turtleshell

Closest would be "Hotel Mercure an der Charité", with Charité being the venerable hospital not far from Central Station.

I believe there's a bus stop right in front of the hotel, and I guess you would need to take the bus for 2 stops to get back to Central Station.

I'm sorry I can not comment on the hotel itself.

by stativi

The closest is Hotel Joachimshof http://www.la-vie-hotels.de/ , 10 minutes walk from Hauptbahnhof, but just three minutes closer than the mentioned mercure. Anyway: S-Bahn are running regularly from 5 o'clock on, so it won't be a problem (maybe even better) taking for example a room in Sol Melia (directly at Friedrichstraße, one stop from Hauptbahnhof): http://www.solmelia.com/solNew/hoteles/jsp/C_Hotel_Description.jsp?codigoHotel=6514

The area around Hauptbahnhof is totally safe.

Valencia or Bilbao

by LucyMarland

Hi, I'm planning a trip for me and my boyfriend at the end of February but cannot decide between Valencia and Bilbao. It will just be for a couple of nights but I would like a nice destination which has plenty to do and see, and is also nice for a couple.
Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lucy

Re: Valencia or Bilbao

by tuktuktuk

Hi Lucy,
Maybe I'm biased because I live not far from Valencia. It's a beautiful city with loads to see and do - also a very romantic city. Sol Melia hotels also offer really good rates for the weekend if you log on on a Wednesday. As for Bilbao in my humble opinion after you've seen the Guggenheim, that's it! There is some very pretty coastline around Bilbao - particularly Lekeitio.
Enjoy Valencia
Best wishes
John

One for the Spanis football Fans

by Ciaran27

Could you tell me when the dates for the upcomming LaLega fixtures are released as I have to plan a stag to incorporate a match in madrid.

Thanks in advance!

Re: One for the Spanis football Fans

by Lorro

is the official site of la Liga.. thats what you meant right?
anyway, don´t know when the dates will be released but they will probbly be here first.
have fun!
j

Re: Re: One for the Spanis football Fans

by Ciaran27

Thanks for that!

Could you also recommend a few 3 or 4 star hotels fairly centrally located?

Ciaran

Re: Re: One for the Spanis football Fans

by Lorro

I live here so haven't really stayed at hotels in madrid. But for a three star you could try Regina, its in Sol (recommended by VT member stachichach) or for 4 star try Senator (gran via) Melia, (pl españa) and the one in Colon.. can't remember...Hard to say, there are tons of hotels to choose from.
im sure other people have good recomendations on their sites. Good luck!
Janelle