Augsburger Strasse 44, Kurfurstendamm 227, Berlin, 10789, Germany

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 45% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• mydreamquest's Profile Photo

Great Hotel very accessible to all of Berlin

The Swiss Hotel in Berlin, located in the Ku'Damm shopping District is a great location. From Tegel International Airport, the X-9 Bus (which cost 2.10 Euro) will take you to the Zoologisches U'Bahn station in 17 minutes. From this U'Bahn station, the Swiss Hotel is a 5 minute walk.

From the Swiss Hotel, you are a 15 minute train ride from key places such as Alexanderplatz, Unter den Linden, Checkpoint Charlie, and the Reichtag. Near the hotel are many restaurants and plenty of Shopping. Also, the History of Berlin museum is a short 5 minute walk.

The hotel is moderately expensive at around $100-$150 Euro/night. But you are greeted with extremely hospitable people. From the bellhop, to the bartender, to the check in staff, everyone who I encountered were very helpful and friendly. There was no attitude.

The gym facility is not that spectacular, just a couple of treadmills, bike and a stair master with 2 free weights (butterfly and press machine). There is a nice sauna which I did not try and the gym is open 24 hours with supervision from 7am to 10pm. No swimming pool.

The breakfast costs $21 Euro/person but the quality of the food is pretty good. Yogurts are excellent; they will cook you an egg poached, etc; waffles; pancakes (even crepes).

The restaurant is good, but the menu is not varied enough.

The room is very comfortable and the cleaning staff are quite friendly too. The interior is modern, clean, and has all the essentials such as iron/iron board, television, mini bar (that costs), safe to hold your passport, and plenty of closet space. The rooms are quite big too.

Unique Quality: The center of the hotel is an empty space that looks down thru glass at the lobby area where many people have coffee in the morning.

The staff: extremely friendly people. They do not give you attitude at all. If it's raining and they see you walking out of the hotel without and umbrella, they will offer you an umbrella.

I will use this hotel again if I go to Berlin again.

Directions: From the Tegel International Airport, take the X-9 bus to Zoologisches U-Bahn. After get your luggage, follow the "bus" signs and just before you exit the airport, purchase the 1 way pass from the person behind the counter for 2.10 Euro.

• marigurn's Profile Photo

A Gadget-Oriented Person's Dream Come True

I stayed a night at this hotel in July 2004 and was impressed by the style and features:
    * WiFi = fairly high tech at the time
    * In-Room Espresso Maker = I liked it so much I caught an AM coffee buzz
    * High Tech Modern Room Design = you have to see it to believe it
    * Good Location = Close to the Train Station
    * Room Key operated elevators = Good security

• Modern Sophistication

The hotel appeared very modern, with interesting furniture and a winding staircase in the lobby. I was impressed when I first walked in.

When we checked in we were in for a few surprises. First, the lady at the desk told us that we had arrived too early and our room wasn’t ready (like we could really help that!). That was to be expected, but then she told us she had us down for a non-smoking room. We showed her the reservation confirmation, which clearly said smoking room. She ignored it. She finally agreed to let us have a room for one night with one bed and which was smoking (I pulled one of the mattresses out and slept on the floor that night. We switched to a double room the next day). She then told us that there was a 50 euro/night charge for breakfast and the amenities in our room. That started a brief argument. We thought that was an unbelievable amount of money, and told her so. She said American hotels do it all the time, which isn’t true. We told her we wouldn’t be having their breakfast or using any amenities. Finally, she agreed to freeze 300 euros on our card (we were there for 14 nights). We didn’t charge anything and we noticed the freeze went away about a week after we checked in.

The hotel was clean and well-kept. Some of the rooms are far away from the elevator so you are forced to walk a long, winding path to your room.

There are a couple of restaurants in the hotel. We ate at the main one for breakfast once (and paid in cash!) and were unimpressed. We’d had better breakfast at nearby cafes for half the price. I wouldn’t eat at the hotel unless you have to. There are plenty of nice restaurants a short walk away.

Overall, I thought it was a nice hotel, especially because of its location. We only paid $108/night, which was an excellent deal. I do think, though, that I’d try another hotel before I stayed here again.

Unique Quality: To enter the hotel you must enter a small lobby where the bellboys are located and take an elevator up to the main lobby where the actual hotel is located.

When we checked in the lady walked us up to our room and gave us a brief overview of what the hotel had to offer, which was very nice.

You must use your key to use the elevator that takes you up to your room. You put it in the slot and it automatically takes you to your floor. You must also use your key to turn on the lights and air conditioning or heat in your room. You stick it in the slot and leave it there until you want to leave.

The room has a cabinet and a fridge full of drinks and treats. If you can afford it, go ahead, otherwise you can buy the same stuff at a nearby store for half the price.

The rooms are very soundproof, which is a plus for the location. That is what is really going for this hotel, the location. It’s a block away from the main street that is the Ku-Damm, and the KuDamm UBahn station. It’s also walking distance from Zoo Station, KaDeWe and the Berlin Zoo. Walk around the surrounding area for awhile to get a feel for the area.

More about Swissotel Berlin

Superb Hotel

We are going to The Swissotel again in November this year, it will be the third year we have stayed there. The business lounge is wonderful value and perfect for a quiet evening in to just relax after a busy day. Would not stay anywhere else in Berlin. The staff are all great.

Brilliant service, clean and modern

We stayed at the Swissotel in June 04 for a week and felt so at home. You can't beat the location on the Kurfurstendamm to be instantly in the shops/restaurants area, and the easy car park also helped. The staff and service was impeccable - attentive but not intrusive; the rooms are clean, modern and stylish, and there are little touches like free juice in the gym fridges and chocolates on your pillow in the evening which really enhance your stay. The place is so efficient it just makes you relax. The 'adventure' showers in the spa are great. If you like bright, modern hotels and if like me, your idea of luxury is a clean, airy, stylish place rather than some of the peeling-wallpaper once-grand 'luxury' hotels this is the place to stay in Berlin.

DON'T BELIEVE THE NAY-SAYERS!

by TripAdvisor Member ElectroCarrie

A wonderful hotel in a wonderful city. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful - my only complaint was a 4-minute late wake up call and that is not much of a complaint! We stayed on one of the executive floors and, as with other reviewers who did the same, it offered fantastic value for money. We drank a lot, and I mean a lot of champagne! Drinks, refrehments, snacks (effectively breakfast,lunch and dinner if you decide not to leave the building!) were all freely available on an all-inclusive basis in the executive lounge - but breakfast in the main restaurant is included if your inclined. The benefits far outweigh the additional cost. The hotel is lovely, the location is superb and it really was a great place to indulge one's self. We were hardly in the hotel and it was still a wonderful experience - Ignore any rating below 5-stars ... I've been in a number of top class hotels so I had high expectations - this did not dissappoint! Our expectations were simply exceeded.

Great experience-even when there was a problem!

by TripAdvisor Member csulbxx

We were there at the beginning of October and had booked the hotel on Expedia. The hotel is clean, modern, and a fantastic location--just a few blocks to the station for trains and all the city buses. (Do buy the week pass-it's an outstanding bargain and the best way to see the city.)
We had a problem the second night with loud banging-they immediately came up to check and apologized (some type of equiptment below the room was responsible.) We were on a regular floor, and they moved us to the executive floor. They let us stay in that room for the next four nights, but the breakfast and snacks were only for the one day unless we paid the extra 40 euros. (since we didn't need the meals we didn't do it). When we came back after that night they left a bottle of wine and fruit, and a personal letter of apology about the problem! They also didn't give us a wake-up call one morning -we called and told them this, and when we returned their was another bottle of wine! They gave us great advise on restaurants. We did have a car and parking was expensive--since we liked using the public transportation the car just sat in the lot. I would recommend the hotel.

Superb!

Just back from staying 4 nights at this hotel. Worth paying that bit extra to use the executive lounge for the free drink and food. Service was excellent and efficient, rooms were very clean and had everything you would need in them. Nothing seemed to be a problem for the staff who were polite and friendly at all times. Great location beside the shops and close to the trains and underground system. One of the best hotels that we have stayed in yet!!

Great Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member sb_2004

Our family stayed here over the holidays for 4 nights - the staff were extremely friendly the rooms were very clean and comfortable. We would definately stay here again if ever in Berlin - the hotel is within walking distance to many of the attractions and very close to great shopping!

Great Experience

by TripAdvisor Member gaweca

This was my first experience with a Swissotel facility. Now I stay at every opportunity. While not inexpensive, we always get very good price value. Rooms are spacious and in excellent condition. Lavazza in-room coffee is the best. 2 room service breakfasts were hot and timely. Hotel was very full, but staff was helpfull and pleasant.

Good location; my first morning I walked outside to begin exploring the city, turned the corner and there was the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church!! Berlin is a very "walkable" city, hotel is centrally located only about 2 miles to Brandenburg Gate and old eastern sector.

My fellow convention attendees had similar positive experiences.

Berlin in August

by piranha66

Hi,

I will be traveling to Berlin this August and wanted to know the best way to get to my hotel (Swissotel Berlin) from the airport (TXL). Also any suggestions on sites we should visit, please let me know. We will be there for 3 full days before flying to Paris. Would like to stay in the Berlin area.

Also, we are not renting a car but instead will use the rail to get around. Is this a good idea? Being from the US, didn’t want to have to worry about driving in Europe.

Thanks!

by Maari

Swissotel, Augsburger Strasse? That's an easy one. Take bus X9 or bus 109 in front of the TXL airport. (ticket 2,10 Euro) Both will bring you to Zoologischer Garten (train station) in the city center. Then walk down Joachimstaler Strasse in direction of Kurfuerstendamm. Within 5 minutes you will reach your hotel.
Tip for the evenings: If the weather is good and warm go to the Old National Gallery (Museumsinsel) or the National Gallery (Kulturforum). They offer open air cinema (starting at 9:30 p.m.) and concerts and a very special atmosphere! Their programmes for this summer are not available yet, maybe you can post again in July or have a look at www.berlin.de/english/index.html.
You won't need a car to get around. A day in Potsdam is higly recommendable. There is easy access with trains (S-Bahn) directly from Zoologischer Garten. Have fun, Maari

by berlingirl

Hi,
tell me when you will arrive and when you will depart. Maybe i can pick you up at Tegel airport and bring you to your hotel. The only consideration would be talking in English because I want to improve my English.
My name is Stine and I am 18 years old.
Bye, Stine

by dimka7

I was staying in Swiss hotel at the New Year. It has excellent location and amenities. If you can afford Swisshotel, then you definitely can afford 15 or so euros taxi from Tiegel airport. They have flat fees to the different parts of the city from Tiegel. Remember,that West Berlin was a city-state surrounded from all sides by East Germany, so they had to have airport within the city. As a result Tiegel in 15 or less min from your hotel.

Comments