Wannsee Yacht

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Berlin

Locals And Tourists Enjoying The SpaceLocals And Tourists Enjoying The Space

The Memorial to Homosexuals persecuted under NazisThe Memorial to Homosexuals persecuted under Nazis

Entrance doorEntrance door

outside pooloutside pool

Sachsenhausen Concetration Camp

by maria25

We are planning to visit Berlin next December.

We have only one and a half days available. We would like to visit Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp.

Does anyone know how much time does it take to tour the camp please?

Thanks

by alancollins

Hi
I have been to the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp a number of times. It depends how much time you want to spend on each of the exhibits and how quickly your feet start to ache. If you want to read all of the information available, for each of the exhibits, you could easily take up your 1 1/2 days doing this. During my last visit, with my wife, we only spent about 3 hours at the camp but during that time we visited most of what is available and watched a film. It was also a cold rainy day, so bare this in mind as the camp is exposed to the elements. Do not visit on a monday as the museum and services are closed. If you travel by train, from say Friedrichstr to Oranienburg it is a 45 minute journey plus a 20 minute walk to the camp.

by Greggor58

Ive explored Sachsenhausen only once...and accompanied a "really informal "guided tour"...picked it up in Berlin...a small group..inexpensive...a very knowledgeable guide that added a very personal touch to the information she was passing along to us....the Tour operator..Berlin Walks"..if you need more info check Berlin pages..

We spent about three hours at the camp...and I think covered the history thoroughly..it certainly was not a rushed process by any means..My experience was sobering and similar to what Allan describes weather wise.....I too was there on a cold and drizzly day...I don't think I would have wanted to spend more time there than I did..

Alan has nailed it though..you can do it yourself and you can take as much time as you like or need...

by Greggor58

FYI....if you're interested...

by maria25

Thanks alot for your help :)

Travel Tips for Berlin

there's no must, it depends on...

by kokiku

there's no must, it depends on your own likes and dislikes, where you want to go.
however here's only a few suggestions:

* if you like listening to funny short stories and nonsense poetry and understand German, don't miss the Lesungen such as 'Surfpoeten' every Thursday at Mud Club (Mitte) or 'Reformbuehne Heim und Welt' every Sunday at Cafe Burger (Turmstrasse/Mitte)

* Check out Kreuzberg! Here (and in neighbouring part of town Neukoelln) you get the best Lebanese and Turkish Food in town along with a couple of good clubs, cafes and bars

* if possible, get yourself a bicycle and explore Berlin on your own When I came to Berlin for the first time as a 17yearold addicted to London, I swore to never come and live here.
However, after 2 1/2 years in 'Germany's one and only metropolis' I came to like living here, although the roughness of how people behave towards eachother over here really pisses me off at times...

Berlin Tip

by greentara

I love the movie 'Cabaret' so of course a 'must see' for me is Christopher Isherwoods apartment where he stayed in Berlin whilst writing the book. Not sure that's a big deal for everyone else but just in case.........
You can find it on the Nollendorfstr. 17 Ubahn stop Nollendorfplatz.

Grunewald Station Platform 17 memorial

by Karlie85

Of all of the memorials and museums I visited in Berlin, this one was the most chilling, touching and powerful. It also seemed, unfortunately, to be far less visited.
During World War II, tens of thousands of Jewish people were shipped off to concentration camps (Auschwitz, Riga, Lodz and Theresienstadt) from Berlin. Platform 17 was where they stood, waiting for the last train many of them would ever take. Platform 17 is now the site of a simple and extremely effective memorial dedicated to the people that were send away from this site. Along the edges of the old platform are steel grates in chronological order with the date, the number of people deported on that date, and the name of the camp written on them. The tracks are grown over with trees, which adds to the effect.
It's hard for me to describe how I felt at this memorial, but it was the most touching memorial I saw and it definitely caused me to stop and reflect.

Take the S-Bahn to Grunewald station. When you get off the train, go down the stairs and look around for the sign that says Gleis 17. Go up those stairs and you'll be there.

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

by matcrazy1

The Philharmonic Hall in Berlin's Kulturforum is one of the most famous concert halls in the world and the house of famous Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. The building with its distinctive architecture was opened in 1963 with a concert by Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra under famous Herbert von Karajan.

There were the two halls: the Gro?er Saal (Great Hall) and the Kammermusiksaal (Chamber Music Hall), both known for their excellent acoustic.

Guided tours of both the Main Auditorium and the Chamber Music Hall were offered daily at 1 pm free of charge (in German). Meeting point: Artist's entrance (Doorman of the Philharmonic Hall) Access across the parking lot. Hmm... I was too late. Maybe next time.

There are numerous concerts played there. Just in case... tickets costed approx. 50 - 110 ? (depends on a seat) for the top class concert of Beethoven music in the Great Hall when I was there and all tickets were sold out.
Follow the link below, check the concert calendar, ticket availability, price and buy your tickets online or call the number below (ticket hotline).

Deutsche Oper: Opera

by FridgeMagnet

A bigger venue than the Komische Oper where I had been the previous evening. This time I was seeing Carmen. Excellent performances and singers. I was sitting beside a young couple who thought they were at the movies though. They kept whispering and kissing. The usherette noticed and asked me about them at the interval. She didn't do anything about it! Again I was dressed in shirt and pants and I felt quite comfortable.

Comments