Westin Grand Hotel Berlin

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• bodo8's Profile Photo

best choice in berlin

Great hotel, near the main interesting places in Berlin! I booked through hotelclub.com, with a 60% discount (if not more) from the basic price, and I even got a room on the last floor. Good view; perfect, clean and big room, large bathroom.
    Alexanderplatz is recheable within a few walking minutes.
    I really recommend this hotel, I would (and will, as Berlin is a wonderful city) come back!

• Bavavia's Profile Photo

Comfortable stay.... very reasonable rate

Very comfortable, very quiet ( very thick windows), extremely comfy bed, spacious, very nice bathroom with heated tile floors and granite vanity... bathrobe and slippers... I would recommend this hotel but urge anyone staying to carefully study your bill. They tried to overcharge me at least 3 times on various things. First the nightly rate was wrong, then i had drinks in lobby with a friend of mine so they transferred my check to the second check but submitted both checks and gave me a hard time at the desk even though it was their fault. Then tried to charge me twice for wine out of the mini bar and finally tried to overcharge me 15 euro on my last night, they kept putting in the wrong evening rate and the rate difference between the wrong and right rate was 15 euro.. so i was at the desk more than i would have liked...

Unique Quality: Heated marble floor... very comfortable bed

Directions: uhbahn freidhofstrasse... then walk , cross under de linden and next block at the end of block of some stores is the hotel

• richyoon's Profile Photo

Fantastic Place

The hotel is very nice, and the service is top notch. The Westin hotel chain is pretty expensive everywhere, but I felt I got a great price at 179 Euros/night. I know that's not cheap, but I will have to say it was worth the price. The location is really ideal in visiting Berlin. There is a subway stop next to the hotel. However, the Hotel itself is just a block from Unter den Linden, and just a nice stroll to Brandenberg Gate. This is in my opinion the nicest part of Berlin. If you have the means, and you are choosing between the best hotels, I would recommend the Westin Berlin.

Unique Quality: The Hotel has a nice historical feel. Its not completely modernized out and the architecture seems unique to Berlin. I know there is a swimming pool, but I never checked it out.

• MizScout's Profile Photo

Great Hotel, Great Location

Before we left on our trip, I spent a long time trying to decide where to stay in Berlin. Once we arrived at our hotel, I was extremely happy with my choice. We booked (and paid) for our hotel about 6 weeks before we departed (we booked on Expedia.ca). We paid $160 CND per night for the room, incl a buffet breakfast each morning (breakfast had champagne available as well...got used to having a glass of bubbly each morning before we went off sightseeing!).

On the day arrived, we checked in with no problem and made our way to our room. I had requested a view of Unter Den Linden, so there was a bit of a walk to get to that side of the hotel - but the view was sooo worth it (you could see the Brandenburg Gate from our bay window), as was the plate of chocolates and strawberries that were waiting for us....

Would definitely stay here again.

Unique Quality: The lobby is beautiful, and comes complete with a piano player in the evenings. We enjoyed many a glass of wine, relaxing and the music after touring Berlin during the day. I'm not one to normally search out the 4-5 star hotels, but I was happy that we chose to stay here.

Directions: Great location to the Metro...about 25 steps to the Franzosische Strasse Station

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Luxury Accomodation off Unter den Linden

What impressed me most at the Westin Grand Berlin was the consistently professional, engaging and helpful service I received from every single member of the staff who I encountered during my stay. From the front desk check-in clerks to the concierge to the cleaning staff: every encounter was pleasant and made me feel welcome. (Sometime hotels seem to forget that they should aspire to make their guests feel at home.)

The Westin Grand is in the center of one of the most interesting and important neighborhoods of Berlin. It is just off Unter den Linden, its entrance facing another of Berlin's most famous boulevards, Friedrichstrasse. The Gendarmenmarkt, the Brandenburg Gate, and the Museum Island are all just a few minutes' walk away.

The hotel was designed and built in the last days of the DDR. I was told that the grand staircase in the lobby is a copy of one which featured in the original Adlon Hotel nearby. Admittedly, the interior design of the Westin is not everyone's idea of good taste. It could even be called vulgar. (IMHO, maybe a little too Alexis Carrington?)

Oh but I had fun. Every day I would take the elevator from the fourth floor - where my room was - down to the first, just so that I could make an impressive descent down into the lobby below.

Yes, this is quite an expensive hotel. But when I stayed there in November 2004 I had an incredible rate (which I found through priceline.) $61 a night - which is less than many a midwestern motel.

• CLillard's Profile Photo

Great Location and Customer Service

Yes, I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is located in the middle "mitte" of Berlin and right across from the underground U-Bahn station Franzözischestr. It is located on the major street Friedrichstrasse and only one block from the other famous street "Unter den Linden". It is a 5 minute walk from Brandenberg Gate.

Unique Quality: They have a fantastic pool and spa. If I had more time there, I definitely would have relaxed there. They even have a little bar at the pool.

This hotel is usually sold out during the summer, so make sure to reserve in advance.

Directions: Take the S-bahn to Friedrichstrasse station, change to the U6 line U-bahn. Get off at station Franzözischestrasse. Exit on the "Unter der Linden" side. When you come up the stairs from the subway station the Westin Grand will be staring right at you.

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Perhaps the best Hotel I've stated in!

First of all I don't normally stay in 5 star hotels which means that I stayed here for cheap. Very cheap infact. I booked the room using priceline and was successful at 40 pounds. I think the normal rate is around 100 pounds so we saved a great deal. Breakfast however is a hefty 23 euros per person so we just went round the corner to somewhere cheaper.

Unique Quality: You get everything you'd expect from a Westin including their excellent beds. There is a piano bar and a number of restaurants all unfortunatley out of our price range. The location however is excellent, within walking distance of all the major attractions.

Directions: Right on Under den Linden Strasse

More about Westin Grand Hotel Berlin

No Westin Heavenly Beds

by TripAdvisor Member Love2Travel14

We stayed in the Westin Grand Berlin in July 2007. In spite of the fact that the reservation we made through the Starwood Hotels website said our rooms would have Westin's renowned Heavenly Beds, we found that only a few suites actually have the beds. The beds we were subjected to were firm to the point of being like sleeping on a sidewalk. Had we not been told in advance how wonderful our stay would be because of the Heavenly Beds, we might not have been as unpleasantly surprised.

The beds and fitness center made it definitely not like a usual Westin stay. The pool was lovely but the work-out room was small, dimly-lit, and hot. There were only two treadmills (one of which was broken), a Lifecycle bike, and four computerized weight machines. There was also one ratty, old floor mat. Almost everything in Germany had English translations, but not the machines there.

With the highest breakfast prices we've ever seen, it would have been nice to have in-room beverage stations/coffee makers like one usually finds in Westins. There's a fantastic deli across the street where we purchased breakfast for four for half the price of a single continental breakfast at the hotel.

The hotel had two positives: the concierge service and the location. The room price was actually pretty reasonable.

Nice hotel, good location, strange smell ......

by TripAdvisor Member ausmithglenn

We stayed at the Westin Grand Berlin for 3 nights in December 2005. The lobby and atrium of the hotel was decked out with Christmas decorations was quite stunning and certainly added an air of opulence.

We stayed in a standard double room which on first inspection appeared to be grand and comfortable. However after staying one night we found that appearances can be deceiving. Firstly, the pillows, although soft, we TOO soft and gave no support. Secondly, we noticed what many other contributors to Trip Advisor have already mentioned - the bathroom did have a distinctly unpleasant odour. Fortunately a closed bathroom door meant the odour was contained.

The fitness centre was well equiped however the staff were abrupt verging on discourteous. This was in contrast to the very polite and helpful front desk/concierge staff. Another issue which we had not encountered in other hotels in Europe is that the staff in the fitness centre had very limited or non existent command of English. This was a hurdle I would not expect to encounter in a first class hotel.

The hotel location could not be faulted - right on the corner of the busy shopping precinct and within walking distance to many of Berlin's famous sights.

Overall the hotel was a stylish "OK". The hotel certainly does not come up to the usual high standards of a Westin Hotel and definately does not deserve the "Grand" in its title.

I would probably not choose to stay at this hotel again on future visits to Berlin - next time we'll try the Radisson SAS.

Nice city break

by TripAdvisor Member Wave88

Me and my wife went to the Grand Westin Hotel, Berlin for a 3 night city break. We found it to be lovely hotel and in a good location, with the Unter Den Linden just round the corner. The room though was a little dated for a four star hotel. The hotel bar was lovely and the reception area was very impressive. Also the pool area is well worth the visit. A Good hotel to visit Berlin.

Comments