Maritim Rhein Main Hotel

Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 20% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Darmstadt

Darmstadt, Fürstenbahnhof, salad by the sideDarmstadt, Fürstenbahnhof, salad by the side

Peter Behrens’ House at MathildenhöhePeter Behrens’ House at Mathildenhöhe

Waldspirale by HundertwasserWaldspirale by Hundertwasser

1. Coming into Darmstadt by bicycle1. Coming into Darmstadt by bicycle

transportation from Darmstadt to Frankfurt // flat prices

by madgame

Hello, I'm from Germany myself..and I might end up going to Darmstadt for college. I would like to be in or at least close to a big city (and I like Frankfurt) and was wondering if Darmstadt would be a good choice for me (Frankfurt isnt an option unfortunately).

I heard the transportation from Darmstadt to Frankfurt was very efficient, b/c Frankfurt is such a hub (b/c of the airport..) and that busses even left at night?

Is it possible to get from Darmstadt to Frankfurt to go out at night and take a bus/train back to Darmstadt? I read those buses started leaving at around 4:20 or so?

Maybe somebody could also tell me how much a flat..say 20-30 square meters is in Darmstadt / Frankfurt? I assume Frankfurt is superexpensive, but that Darmstadt might be affordable?

Also..how is Darmstadt in general/for going out at night?

thanks! (feel free to reply in German if you want to..just thought Id keep this English so everybody could read it)

Re: transportation from Darmstadt to Frankfurt // flat prices

by Weissdorn

Darmstadt is a good choice, but anywhere in the greater Rhein-Main-Area is realtively expensive. It might be more affordable to live in Wixhausen, Dreieich, Neu Isenburg, Dietzenbach, or even in Offenbach, as Darmstadt is nearly as expensive as Frankfurt itself. The RMV Transit Authority is fairly punctual, clean and efficient. Not as good as Munich, not as poor as Düsseldorf. Train service usually terminates around midnight. There are some Night Buses, but they only travel within Frankfurt itself. 20-30 qm (heated is approximately 900 Euro/month in this area. You could find something for around 400-600 Euros, but you would have to contact a Wohn- bzw. Baugenossenschaft. WG's are common, and you can often find a WG room for 200 Euros a month. Darmstadt has a pleasant night life (so my nephew tells me).

Re: transportation from Darmstadt to Frankfurt // flat prices

by dalekessler

I hope you could help me? My great, great, grandfather came from Darmstadt, and I was trying to find in what area [city or town] he might have came from. My real hope is to try and find some family members in Darmstadt. His name was Louis Kessler.

Born: April 21, 1819
Left Darmstadt around 1837 with his parents.
So I was hoping you might beable to tell me were to look for such information.

respectfully,

Dale Kessler

My E-mail is. dale.b.kessler@gmail.com.

Travel Tips for Darmstadt

360° Photos of Darmstadt trip

by photojournalist

I would take first-time visitors to the Mathildenhöhe: with a great view over the city, this place also imparts a sense of history. Climb on top of the Hochzeitsturm (wedding tower) !!!

Explore a 360° virtual tour of this and other places in Darmstadt I visited here:

Russian Chapel - architectural details

by Trekki

Alexander and Wladimir Frolov of St. Petersburg have worked the mosaics inside and outside of Russian Chapel on.

They have applied the so-called reverse or Venetian method of mosaic piece lying, where a mirror image of the original was copied onto thick paper. This was cut then and pieces of cobalt glass were glued on the surface with image face down. Then the mosaic was framed, fixated with cement and the finished blocks were added to the walls.

The pictures show some architectural details on the chapel's outside.
Unfortunately it is not allowed to take pictures inside.

Update August 2010:
website removed, since it was no longer valid (fourth time since I started writing my page back in 2005). And since I am sick and tired about Darmstadt's city officials' incompetence in context with websites 1) in English and 2) to keep at least a German version for more than a couple of month, I don't bother anymore to add a website.....

Auerbacher Schloss I visited...

by tessy

Auerbacher Schloss
I visited the ruin of the castle in winter time, so we had no good view. But my firend wanted to see it. You can drive there or make a walk through the forest.
Have you seen the tree? It grows on the castle.

Ludwigsäule

by antistar

Sitting in the centre of the enormous Luisenplatz, the gigantic 33m tall Ludwigsäule dominates the entire square and all the surrounding streets, where it can be seen from a great distance away. The column was built in honour of the first Grand Duke Ludewig of Hesse and the Rhein, a title given to him by Napoleon in 1806. The massive column can even be climbed, and 172 steps to the bronze statue of the Grand Duke at its peak can be accessed on the first Saturday of every month. I guess they keep its access limited to protect it from clambouring feet.

Marktplatz - market square

by Trekki

The Marktplatz (market square, place) is another centre square, situated opposite of the main entrance of Residenzschloß / Residence Castle. On Saturdays, market is held with local products, mostly vegetables and flowers. However, compared with other cities like Mannheim, the market here in Darmstadt is quite lousy. Maybe the city officials don’t encourage our farmers to come and sell or, as usual, the rental is too high. Or, the amount of farmers in the region decreased. Where I live, people could buy fresh milk from farmers until some time ago. But now no more, no more dairy farmers in my region.
The market place exists since mid 14th century, after Darmstadt got the “city rights” in 1330, which gave permission to held weekly and yearly markets.

At it’s end, there is the Rathaus / town hall (see photo), which is late renaissance (built 1588-90), but was rebuilt in it’s original style after WW II bombing. It houses some municipal departments, and the civil registration office as well.
But most famous is the restaurant “Ratskeller”, which serves Bavarian snacks and has it’s own brewery (Export and Pils and Maibock in the season). It is open daily from 10 a.m. to midnight.

Update August 2010: