Weinmichel Darmstadt Hotel

Schleiermacherstrasse 10-12, Darmstadt, Hesse, 64283, Germany

More about Darmstadt

Bauernhandkäse mit MusikBauernhandkäse mit Musik

Wedding tower at MathildenhöheWedding tower at Mathildenhöhe

The large Glückert House at MathildenhöheThe large Glückert House at Mathildenhöhe

Waldspirale by HundertwasserWaldspirale by Hundertwasser

Travel Tips for Darmstadt

Visit the Russian Chapel (an...

by roessling

Visit the Russian Chapel (an original chapel, too!); the Marriage Tower
near the chapel and see the Wedding Chambers for a small fee; walk
in the Rosenhoehe Park. The nice atmosphere- the town is not geared towards tourism (and
thus also does not have many tourist traps), but is quitre open to
others.

Climate in Darmstadt

by Leipzig

Rainy season: There is no special rainy season

Avg. Temp. in Spring: max.: 10 – 19°C ( 50 - 66°F ); min: 2 - 9°C ( 36 - 49°F )
Avg. Temp. in Summer: max.: 21 – 24°C ( 70 - 75°F ); min: 11 - 13°C ( 51 - 55°F )
Avg. Temp. in Autumn: max.: 7 – 20°C ( 45 - 68°F); min: 2 - 10°C ( 36 – 50°F )
Avg. Temp. in Winter: max.: 3 – 6°C ( 38 - 43°F); min: 0 - 1°C ( 32 - 34°F )

Good lunch restaurant near train station

by Trekki about Fürstenbahnhof

I would not recommend this restaurant for an evening’s dinner, unless you are a millionnaire. There are better options with better value in Darmstadt. But it serves nice lunch (they call it “Business Lunch” – capital letters) and is close to the train station so it it definitely an alternative to the several fast food places in or near German train stations.
Some of my colleagues (the “trendy” ones) go there quite often and were mostly satisfied, so when a customer of mine recently came for business by train, I have decided to try it out. It wasn’t easy in the beginning, as my customer lives gluten-free. When I called the restaurant to check their possibilities in glute-free dishes, I got the answer “oh yes, when the weather is nice, you can sit outside”. And I swear I didn’t speak any other language than German….. But we decided to give it a try and indeed the waiter knew what she was talking about when she asked for gluten-free meals. So we were happy to chose salad (for her) and pasta with chantarelles (for me) from the business lunch menu. They also had Bionade and they were able to make other than Apfelschorle (apple spritzer), so my customer had pineapple spritzer. The meals tasted good, but.. it was not Italy, where once I was in food heaven. So I was satisfied but not overly. Given the prices of the dishes, I expected more. Now I am not a very critical person when it comes to restaurants (either I like the food or not), but in the case of Fürstenbahnhof, I found myself being extra critical because of their somehow arrogance self-conception.
The prices for their dinner options are definitely out of reach and interest for me, because I just don’t pay more than 15 Euro for a starter and between 20 and 30 Euro for the main course. Not in Germany! In Umbria yes, and now that I think about it I even paid less for the dishes at the marvellous, magnificent, excellent, wonderful Redibis in Bevagna. And Redibis was (is) a place with an excellent cook!
(haha, I am imagining what would happen if the owners of Fürstenbahnhof check the internet from time to time and find this… Would they even waste a thought and change their attitude or prices? No, I don’t think so).

We paid 29,60 € in total (8,90 € for the salad with chantarelles, 7,90 € for pasta with chantarelles including a small salad, 3,90 € for the pineapple spritz, 3,20 € for Bionade, 2,20 € for espresso and 3,50 € for Latte Macchiato).

I did chose "US$ 41 and up" and "most expensive" in the selection boxes, just to make sure that no reader mistakes our lunch prices as this restaurant's standard.

See Adam and Eve by the doorway

by scottishvisitor

The museum Kunstlerkolonie, has a very impossing "Omega Portal" very intricately designed in stunning gold colour. On each side of this strikingly rich doorway stand statues of Adam and Eve sculpted by Ludwig Habish. The building was designed on plans by Joseph M. Olbrish. We were too late to visit inside but I did enjoy admiring the great art work of Ernst Ludwig Haus, truely amazing to see such passion in art.
Museum open Tuesday - Sunday 10.00am - 5.00pm

The large Glückert House at Mathildenhöhe

by robertbaum

The Austrian architect Joseph Maria Olbrich (1867-1908) designed this Art Nouveau house for Julius Glückert. It was the largest in the 1901 exhibition at the artists colony at Mathildenhöhe.

Julius Glückert was a producer of furniture and an important promoter of the artists’ colony. He had envisaged selling the house as soon as it was finished, but decided shortly before its completion to use the building for a permanent exhibition of pieces produced in his factory.

The house was partially destroyed in World War II, later rebuilt and then restored in the 1980s. Today it is used by the German Academy for Language and Poetry.

Comments