History Timeline Part VII
The Fulda Action Publisher was founded. On January 1, 1874, the "Fuldaer Zeitung", Fulda's Newspaper appeared for the first time, which has been the property of the Parzeller Publishing House to this date.
The Fulda Felt Factory was founded.
The Rhön Railroad, which connected Fulda with Gersfeld, was commissioned.
The city fathers purchased the Residential Palace from Landgrave Alexander of Hesse, which has been used as muncipal administration offices since 1900.
The rubber factory "Fulda" was founded.
A fire, caused by the fireworks celebration commemorating the 1150th martyr date of St. Boniface, badly burnt the right cathedral tower.
The scientist Prof. Dr. Ferdinand von Braun (1850 - 1918), who was born in Fulda received the Nobel Prize for physics.
438 sons of Fulda fell in the First World War.
Fulda became a non-incorporated city, and remained so until 1974.
The period of the Nazi Dictatorship began. But the Nazis only received 25% of the vote in Fulda.
1029 Jews were living in Fulda. Most of the immigrated, but 243 of them were deported and murdered.
1200 years after it's foundation, Fulda was heavily damaged by Allied Forces bomb attacks. 1586 people died. In addition to this, 1208 soldiers were killed in action, and 900 were missing in action. During Easter in 1945 American Troops occupied the city.
Because of the increasing wave of displaced persons (10000), the number of inhabitants swelled to 45000 in the following years.
The train station was rebuilt by 1954.
In opposition to the "Fulda Peoples' Newspaper (Fuldaer Volkszeitung), which had been published since1945,the regular "Fuldaer Zeitung" now makes a come-back.
The 76th German Catholic Convention took place in Fulda.
Fulda became partner cities with Como in Italy (1960) and Arles in France (1964).