Hotel Nies

WILHELMSBADWILHELMSBAD

Travel Tips for Hanau am Main

Hanau

by MD2nd

Hesse's Hanau is an industrial city close to Main river with a lovely old town, lovely spa near Wilhelmsbad, and beautiful castles of the Princess of Isenburg and Buedingen, which are in fact located in Buedingen. Certainly the Hessian Doll Museum with its dolls from ancient times, is recommendable too.

Gf and me did less of a visit of Hanau city but checking in for G.O.D.'s play at the Hanau Irish Pub. Looking up any of my VT pages one can tell I yet have not much of a clue when it comes to "Nightlife" actually I rather am not into "Nightlife" as I'm not much of a nightowl and never have been. BUT if something gets me on the way at late hours then that's an Irish Pub with live music! And G.O.D.'s gig was definitively worth the drive. Good stuff they do! This Hanau Irish Pub is pretty huge and was very crowded. Guess, mostly locals, very little British folks, and of course many fans of that band. Wish they had played Fiddlers Green's Star Of The County Down (one of Jan's favorite songs) but they didnt, and it's not Celtic anyway I guess?

One morning last July,
from a boreen green came a sweet Colleen
And she smiled as she passed me by.
She looked so sweet from her two bare feet
To the sheen of her nut-brown hair.
Such a coaxing elf, sure I shook myself
For so see I was really there.

that I met in the County Down.

As she onward sped, sure I scratched my head
And I looked with a feeling rare.
And I say, say’s I, to a passer - by,
"Who’s the maid with the nut - brown hair"?
He smiled at me and he say’s, say’s he,
"That’s the gem of Ireland’s crown.
Young Rosie Mc Cann, from the banks of the bann
She’s the star of the County Down."

At the Harvest Fair she’ll be surely there
And I’ll dress in my Sunday clothes,
with my shoes shone bright and my hat cocked right
for a smile from my nut - brown rose.
No pipe I’ll smoke, no horse I’ll yoke
Till my plough it is rust - coloured brown.
Till a smiling bride, by my own fireside
sits the Star of the County Down

-Fiddlers Green's Star Of The County Down

Now, to drive to this place - Irish Pub Hanau, Lamboystrasse 52, Hanau, 63452 - seems to request special skills, at least by trusting GPS which lead us about four rounds to the former US Army Airfield http://www.hanau.army.mil/ Last time at the gates, GPS kinda gave up, like saying "gals find it yourselves". Round five - without GPS - took us then to a German marksmen association. Anyway, once visitors find that pub it's no hard time to park car on sideroads.

Philippsruhe Palace and Park

by Russell_the_Wombat

The bus from Wilhelmsbad back into town continues to the suburb of Kesselstadt, which was useful for us indeed because it stops next to Philippsruhe palace. The second last Count of Hanau, a certain Philipp Reinhard II, thus the name of the palace, had himself a summer home built on the banks of the Main close to the village of Kesselstadt.

The park has been redesigned after being neglected for a long time. The pont in its middle has a high fountain wich sprayed water over half the park because of the strong wind. I am on the dry side here.

The orangerie is located in a lower part of the garden surrounded by high walls. The tulip trees down there are already dressed in beautiful autumn yellow. Most of the other trees were still reluctant to change colour in early October.

The pavillon on the edge of the terrace is overlooking the river and river bank.

When the blinds are open this must be a pleasant spot for afternoon coffee and cake. Coffee for Mommy and cake for me!

We enjoyed watching a newlywed couple who had their wedding photos taken in the park. They are far away in the background here, you will see the bride from closer by in another travelogue. It was a windy day and the wind made the bride look like a white scarecrow in her big tulle dress and veil, although she was actually a very pretty blonde young lady. She fought with her huge skirt she could hardly walk in and the veil flowing in the wind, and the makeup lady fought with her hair that got messy all the time.

The small terraces along the side wings of the palace have gardens in baroque style, planted with many roses which were still in bloom.

Please give me a minute to sniff the roses.

Comments