Hotel-Restaurant Romerhof

Priceline.com Booking.com hotel.info

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Hanau am Main

At Hanau Irish Pub G.O.D. - Garden Of DelightAt Hanau Irish Pub G.O.D. - Garden Of Delight

Me with the Brothers GrimmMe with the Brothers Grimm

MarienkircheMarienkirche

Travel Tips for Hanau am Main

A Wombat in Hanau

by Russell_the_Wombat

We went to Hanau because Mommy had been hired to give a lecture about the history of some church in some suburb of the city she had done research about. I begged hard until she agreed to take me and show me a bit of the city.
Ok I admit that 'begging' involved chewing her finger and not letting go until she said yes...

The lecture took place in the evening but we took an earlier train to have more time for sightseeing. When we arrived at the station the sun was still shining brightly but dark clouds appeared on the horizon. When we checked in at the hotel the sky was already overcast. As soon as we were finally ready for a walk of the city the first raindrops fell. Bad luck. The shower hit us in market square but it did not last long, so it was no real problem, except the bad light for my photos!

On the second day we were luckier. Meteorologists are known as professional liars and the rain they had forecasted did not come. I did not mind...

We took the chance to explore some of Hanau's gems in the suburbs: the palaces of Wilhelmsbad and Philippsruhe with their parks, and the old village of Kesselstadt.

Those palaces are beautiful. The city centre however... I was warned that Hanau would make a promising candidate for the title of Ugliest City in Germany. As far as the centre is concerned, I totally agree.
The Brothers Grimm were born in Hanau but they have not left any fairy-tale charm here.

The Park of Wilhelmsbad Continued

by Russell_the_Wombat

"Didn't you know that King Kong was a wombat?"

Hehe...

To see better I climbed a lantern in front of the palace.

Somehow this confused the camera, because this photo is far too light.

The buildings along the back side of the palace served for economy purposes.

This one has the word "Wirtschaft" on it. In this case it does not mean, "park economy", though, but "park inn".

Shame it was still closed at that hour. I could have done with a snack.

Imagine a band playing in this little pavillon on a warm summer day, and people in pretty dress enjoying a day of leisure.

When we left the palace and returned into the park we soon reached a part that is covered with dense forest. This part is rather hilly. The deepest gorge, probably artificial, must be crossed on this chain bridge. I tried first how solid it is because I weigh less than Mommy. Oh my, the thing swayed!

We trusted it because this is Germany and if a path is in any way dangerous it will be roped off and blocked, so we decided it must be safe.
It was.

The forest is really really dark in there as long as the trees have their foliage.

We met the creek again. The white bridge leads across, deeper into the park and to the trail to the bus stop and train station.

On our way back to the bus we passed the castle ruin again. To have a closer look at it we entered the island. There is one bridge in the back that we had not seen in the morning.

The castle was barred and locked. The little tower on the end of the island was open but there was nothing in it except a park bench and some dirt.

Comments