Roter Kater Hotel-Restaurant

Roter Kater Hotel-Restaurant
Priceline.com hotel.info eDreams

Satisfaction Poor

More about Kassel

Essigberg once moreEssigberg once more

Hercules bridgeHercules bridge

Museum FridericianumMuseum Fridericianum

Orangerie at Aue ParkOrangerie at Aue Park

Travel Tips for Kassel

Art lovers Paradise

by sabsi

Go and see the Documenta
It's the biggest modern art exhibition in Germany. It takes place every five years (the last one will just finished this September - and I missed it again). I was there in 1992 and I really enjoyed it --- even though some pieces of art were really mad!

Ab nach Kassel! (Let's go to Kassel!)

by King_Golo

"The city of parks"

Kassel - ah, that's a place of fond memories to me. It's the city I was born and where I spent my childhood and adolescence. I wouldn't go so far to say that I know every part of Kassel, but I surely know it better than any other place in the world. Probably, it's always like that with your hometown.
I never considered Kassel to be an extraordinarily beautiful city, but since I've left it almost a decade ago, it becomes better and better...

62 % of Kassel's area are parks, forests or other green areas - which makes it one of the greenest cities in Germany. Kassel is known for its huge Park Wilhelmshöhe with the number one sight Herkules, as well as for the Karlsaue and the Fuldaaue - two parks in the city centre. The city is surrounded by the hilly forests Habichtswald and Reinhardswald, further east also the Kaufunger Wald. In some areas, the air is so good that they actually are called spa.
Kassel is also known for its numerous museums. For instance, there is a museum of tapestries and one of sepulchral culture. Another one features everything that is about fairytales and the Brothers Grimm - who are from Kassel. Every five years, the documenta, a world famous art exhibition, takes place in Kassel (next in 2012). The city then welcomes artists from all over the world.
Other things Kassel is famous for: the first pedestrian zone of Germany, the local sausage "Ahle Wurscht", the probably biggest pickaxe of the world, and soooo much more!
Go there, and find out yourselves!

Although the documenta, the world's biggest exhibition of modern art, has taken place in 2007, I haven't removed my tips. You won't find the works of art that I describe anymore, but I believe my tips can give you an insight into what documenta is like - and when the 2012 exhibition you can come (back) and talk about what you have seen on my pages and compare it with what will be displayed then.

Official Kassel homepage: here