Ibis Rostock

Ibis Rostock am Stadthafen
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Just a block from the theater

The best thing about this hotel is its location just a block from the theater, which is good when you are walking home after an opera premiere on a drizzly January night.

The worst thing about this hotel is the quality of the food in the so-called restaurant, which is why I gave the hotel only two "satisfaction" points instead of three. Actually I was already a bit skeptical when I noticed that all the tables were empty on a Friday evening, but to save time before going out I decided to have a quick supper at the hotel anyway, and I ordered Tagliatelle Bolognese, which seemed like a safe enough choice, but when it came it wasn't Tagliatelle at all, just some sort of indefinable rubbery noodles in an indefinable sauce. I ate part of it and then asked the waitress if the noodles had by any chance come out of tin can, and she said: "Not exactly, but we do convenience. We have to. All the ibis hotels do."

(She used the English word convenience, which is often used in German nowadays to mean convenience food which has been pre-cooked and just has to be warmed up.)

Another ridiculous thing was a poster in the lobby with the heading, in English: "Yes, we can." (Now where have I heard that slogan before?) Beneath that was a picture of scrambled eggs, and then a sentence in German saying that they now offered scrambled eggs as part of their breakfast buffet.

I tried the scrambled eggs the next morning, and I think they were also convenience food, though not as bad as the noodles.

Otherwise, though, the hotel was perfectly normal. The room even had a hair-dryer, which you wouldn't necessarily expect in this lowish price category.

And they had a computer in the lobby with a free internet connection. And the staff was very pleasant and friendly, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much, should I?

I didn't choose this hotel myself, by the way, and didn't have to pay for it because I was there on business.

Directions: GPS 54° 5' 35.18" North; 12° 7' 4.76" East

• tpk2's Profile Photo

Affordable hotel in the center

Don't let the two-star status to disturb. It's actually really comfortable and new hotel and it's nicely located. The pice is around 50 - 60 euros for one person (+15 euros extra for two persons) depending on the time of the year.

Directions: Check the map!

Comments