Ringhotel Deutches Haus

Deutsches Haus
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Rated 12% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Faded luxury, very central

This grande dame of hotels may be a bit frayed at the edges, but it remains an elegant option with high ceilings, marble staircases, plush carpet and houseplants galore. We almost felt a bit out of place showing up in caps and jeans, but no-one seemed to mind. Our room was lovely with lots of polished wooden furniture and your typical 'double' arrangement of two singles pushed together.

Though it's a long walk from the station, once there you are perfectly placed to explore the core of the city. From the front steps you have a full-on view of the town hall, whilst the Dom is around the corner. From our window we spotted what proved to be an excellent brewpub (see my nightlife tip).

They lay on a huge breakfast spread in the dining room with croissant, bread, rolls, eggs, sausages, fruit, yoghurt, muesli, juice, tea and coffee all offered. In summer the hotel restaurant sets out tables on the Burgplatz.

We got an excellent deal of Expedia--65 euro per person per night including breakfast--so good I thought they would query the bill when we checked out!

Unique Quality: European 'art' films on the satellite TV.

Directions: Bang in the centre between the Dom and Rathaus, off Burgplatz

• Gorgeous

Gorgeous hotel.There was a nice cafe across the street with very nice people working there.The staff at this hotel was very nice.I think they either left chocolate or a bag of gummy bears on your pillow every night.

• Colzy's Profile Photo

Very interesting Hotel

Unique Quality: Built in 1896 as a guesthouse for the castle this Hotel is one of the loveliest in Braunschweig and steeped in history. Dont quote me on this but I am told that the balcony of the hotel was the site of many of Hitler's speeches to the people of Braunschweig when he was here in the years before the war. Apparently it was destroyed in the war and there was much controversy about whether or not it should be rebuilt.

Deutsches Haus was renovated in 1999 and boasts health and fitness facilities, function rooms, car care service, parking spaces and covered parking and has a wonderful Italian resaurant with great view attatched.

I have never actually stayed here myself (you dont often do that when you practically live next door) but I thought I would share some of its history :)

Directions: In the Burgplatz