Henry's Hotel

Schiefer Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Goslar

Neuwerk churchNeuwerk church

Bells on the ouside of the steepleBells on the ouside of the steeple

Botero sculpturesBotero sculptures

House of a farming citizen, around 1480House of a farming citizen, around 1480

Travel Tips for Goslar

If you wander far enough ...

by shrimp56

You will run across this canal, a bit reminiscent of Brugge. The "real" canals are however, the underground ones from the mines. There is a famous water wheel called Lohmuehle. Dating from the 12th century, it is one of the oldest Germany.

Glockenspiel - Carillon

by Kathrin_E

The carillon in market square is one of Goslar's most popular attractions. While the bells play their melody, a procession of miners from medieval to modern times, led by the knight who first discovered the treasure of Rammelsberg, moves along. Unfortunately I arrived a moment too late and could not catch a photo of them any more.

Where? On the gable of the slate-tiled house opposite of the old town hall. Come to market square in time and you'll see everyone staring up to the right house.
When? Daily 9.00, 12.00, 15.00, 18.00

Goslar: Old Town Jewel

by Kathrin_E

Goslar, situated at the foot of the Harz mountains, is one of the three UNESCO World Heritage towns to visit in this region. Silver and copper from the mines in the adjacent Rammelsberg made the town rich and caused the medieval Emperors' interest in this place. In the 11th century the imperial palace (Kaiserpfalz) was built.

Goslar gained the status of an imperial city which was dependent on the Emperor alone and no other prince. Five medieval churches, the town hall, several guild halls and magnificent houses give testimony of the citizens' pride and wealth.

The old town luckily escaped World War II bombings and has been preserved extremely well. If you want 'postcard Germany' with half-timbered houses and cobblestone lanes, you'll find it in Goslar. Leave the beaten path and explore the side streets.

As you see in my photos, I visited on a frosty but sunny winter's day.

BEAUTIFUL GOSLAR......

by eden_teuling

" FACHWERK, SO VERY NICE!!!!"

Because GOSLAR, an old historic, wonderful, city was the next place to pay a visit after my BERLIN stay and on my way home.......the place is not on the VT list, you can see here how it is: wonderful, especially the FACHWERK buildings, the very old walls and towers (remnants, but still in use as restaurants etc.).

GOSLAR lies in the foothills of the HARZ, a mountainous area where still are mines, no longer in working order, but you can visit them and go down, OFF THE BEATEN PATH, deep into the earth: must be very exciting!

It was a great pleasure to walk the town with the best guide I could have had: my own VT friend KNOTO, who invited me to stay the night at his place.

So I met his wife Sylvia and his 2 children Jeffrey and Shannon.

(Peter), who told stories, seemed to know every interesting historic detail and who showed me everything there was to see.
GOSLAR is in the neighbourhood of his home village.
He, his wife and the children, the 5 of us, spent a nice afternoon in GOSLAR.

I shall also add some pictures of RHEINE , the next town where I stayed overnight (and could spent the afternoon and early evening) on my way home to the SW of The Netherlands.

" ONCE MORE..AND ALWAYS IMPRESSIVE...."

Another one of these creaky-cracky Buildings!

" GARDENS = LIFE IN THE CITY CENTRE..."

In the middle of the town center, a wonderful garden and, hidden from sight by this wonderful, colourful place-of-peace, again such a wonderful house

" JUST GREAT, SO SPECIAL......"

So many of these wonderful FACHWERK houses: real oak beams, so old, so strong>! Never fearing hot sunshine, rain, snow or frost........

" THE MARKET PLACE WITH THE RED HOTEL"

Isn't this just a snug, cosy market place?
See the red Hotel KAISERWORTH and do you see the statues in between the windows on the 1st floor? A fabuously colourful sight!

I simply adore these very steep and high roofs covered with slate! Most of the houses here were slate-roofed and thus bluish/grey, while in other parts of Germany the roofs are red-tiled.

" HOW STEEP AND HIGH THE ROOFS..."

I always think that these houses make lots of creacking and cracking sounds you will have to get used to when living in such a jewel!

" DER GOSLARER ZWINGER....."

DER GOSLARER ZWINGER liegt inmitten der romantischen Wall- und Parkanlagen.

It is a restaurant now and...the museum ZWINGER beherbergt auf der mittleren Ebene 3 special holiday houses......info needed? EMAIL ME FOR ADRESSES, more info ETC.. which means that there are 3 very special, very nice, very expensive appartments for holiday makers.....

" DOM VORHALLE IN THE TOWNCENTRE TOO...."

Here the heart, and ONLY the heart of BARBAROSSA lies buried in the tomb!
This DOMVORHALLE is near the KAISERPFALTZ, but the photo I took of that impressive building is too dark to place it here, which is a pity! Erected on a high place, it seemed to keep watch over GOSLAR and all its treasures. !

" DAS RATHAUS..."

A lovely market place with restaurants to have a drink, hot or cold: hot on the day I was there because that day showed the first signs, serious signs of AUTUMN coming: showers, grey skies, some sunny spells and a quite cold breeze..........but...hadn't I already enjoyed 16 days of wonderful weather? I started during a heatwave and this ending......didn't bother me......it felt already like home, in The Netherlands, where I would be 2 days later.....

" SEEN FROM ANOTHER ANGLE"

The steps of the RATHAUS.

Nice place to get married, isn't it? walking up these stairs must be a splendid, great feeling.....

" BUNTES GOSLAR AM HARZ...."

This fabulous KAISERSTADT Goslar is a 1000 years old, yes, a 1000 years.......we shall never get that old and still be so very much alive and kicking, so full of beans....

I met this couple that you see in the postcard, walking through the streets near the Rosetor (gate)......in bronze, frozen for the centuries to come, to eyewitness all that is and will be happening, never ever showing their feelings, never changing their facial expressions, they just want to BE there in GOSLAR am Harz.

NAGELKOPF am Markt I didn't like very much: so cruel a face: a head full of nails from left to right and right to left. I don't know if there is a history behind this....but I would never have given permission to put it there, if only for Goslar's children's sake!

"LIEBE GRüSSE AUS SCHöNES GOSLAR..."

Please, let me send you LIEBE GRüSSE WITH SOME NICE PICTURES!!!

Don't get mad at me for doing so!

" MUSEUMPASS......ALWAYS CHEAPER..."

With this special PASS you can visit and enjoy FIVE museums;

Such passes are always very worthwhile........

" GOSLAR AM HARZ......"

TWO DEAR FRIENDS SENT ME THIS postcard long after I had returned home but I like it very much and so I am putting it here.......which they (MY GIRLS from France) will appreciate!

And guess: one of the two friends now lives in Salzgitter, near GOSLAR!!!

" A GOSLAR BEAUTY....."