Krone

johngayton's Profile Photo

A Hotel With No Pretensions

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 7, 2015

For a cheap hotel in Aachen you won't find much better than Hotel Krone. It is a no-frills, no thrills sort of place but all the basics worked for me and especially the welcoming, and always helpful, reception team.

My single room was just that with a perfectly comfortable bed and a decent-sized work area. Everything was spotlessly clean and everything worked, although bizarrely I had perfect WiFi in my room but downstairs, in the breakfast room and in the lounge area the connection was really naff.

Breakfast was well worth getting up for and the coffee wasn't actually as bad as some may make out.

The location is slightly out of town but there are bus stops in both directions just outside the front door and the immediate neighbourhood has all the sorts of things you could want if staying a few days - laundrette, convenience stores, fast food take-aways and a rather delicious barmaid at the City Pub on the corner.

Directions: About a kilometer outside the historical centre, to the west, just after the Stadtpark.

planxty's Profile Photo

Exactly what I was looking for.

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 5, 2015

Readers of my other pages will know that I require very little from a hotel room, merely a clean room, comfortable bed and hopefully (dependent upon the climate) enough hot water to shower in. Whilst researching the Euromeet 2015 meet I found that my good friend John Gayton was staying here. I knew that John had visited Aachen before and I trust his judgement implicitly (except on matters of when to leave the bar!) and so I booked the Krone. I thought it would be fun to hang out together. The fact that another dear friend Claus booked in at the last minute (as is his wont) was an added bonus.

I mention the two gentlemen above for a reason which is that we all share a fairly simple travel concept in that we just need the basics and I am not going to pretend that the Krone is anything other than that. It is, however, clean and tidy and well run with very pleasant staff.

As a little aside I had initially booked online to arrive on the Friday but then changed plans to arrive on the Thursday (through a booking agency) and so I contacted them to explain. I told them that it was no problem if I had to move roooms after the first additional night as they were two separate bookings and I recieved a very prompt reply per e-mail telling me that it was no problem and that I would not be moved as they had booked me into the same room for my entire stay. A small thing I know but it is indicative of the attitude here.

Another example was when I asked for directions to a particular address in the city (the bar I was meeting the VT guys in) and not only did the young lady furnish me with a city map which she marked with a route but even came out into the street to make sure I started off in the right direction! Excellent service all round.

I am sure the reader is probably now bored by my personal reminiscences of the place and so to the more prosaic details. The room was small but spotlessly clean (as I hope my images indicate), as was the bathroom and there was plenty of hot water at a good pressure for my shower. I did not atttempt to use wifi so I do not know what the signal is like in the rooms. There is someone on reception at all hours of the day and night unlike some European hotels in this price range. Breakfast is of the Continental variety and served in a pleasant, if minimally furnished, room to the rear of the hotel.

I should add that I had a room facing the road which is a fairly main thoroughfare but had absolutely no problem with road noise. Another potential "problem" was that the hotel was supposedly a bit out of the centre. This may be true for anyone unfortunate enough to have mobility issues but I found it about a ten to fifteen minute walk right into the centre and, having talked to others staying in similarly priced hotels elsewhere, they were as far away albeit in the other direction near the train station.

As I mentioned earlier, I trust my friend John's judgement and he did not let me down as always. No, this is not the Dorchester or the George V nor does it pretend to be but if you are on a mid range budget it is an excellent base to explore Aachen and the surrounding area.

cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Recommended if they could fix their wifi.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 29, 2015

I stayed at the Krone hotel for 4 days and it was all in all a positive experience.
I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist who was very helpful with everything and my room was very functional.
It was also quite small, but I don't mind that as long as it's functional.
I like when things work and not when they are jjst plain big.
I had breakfast there 4 times and it was all in all very fine food that I was totally happy with.
Only thing I didn't like was the coffee, which has to be the most watery coffee I have tasted in years.
My only other complaint about the place was the fact that their wifi sucked.
This matters quite a lot to me cause I work freelance and need to answer mails every day and in the case of Aachen I was meeting several people and had the adresses of the places i had to go in my inbox and in this case, you do not want to be stuck with wifi that only works sometime.
But apart from the coffee and the wifi it was a nice place staffed by friendly people.

Unique Quality: I sleep in hotel rooms over 300 days a year and this was once of the most comfortable beds i have slept in for a while.

Directions: Around 1,5 kilomters from the city center.

Nearby Krone

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Aachen Travel Forum

Need advice about Aachen, Germany? Visit the Travel Forum for Aachen and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Aachen hotel reviews

Granusturm
Aachen Dom
SAINT FOILLAN CHURCH
Favorites
A very pleasant introduction to Aachen
Things to Do
A pleasant way to arrive
Everybody needs one sometimes
Aachen Cathedral
In the cathedral
DOLLAR SCHIPHOL
Transportation
Huge and popular tapas place.....
Aachen Chronoskop