Aachen Hotels

Our Members Say

• CatherineReichardt profile photo CatherineReichardt
  • Reviews: 2527

Hotel am Banhof: Cheap, cheerful and convenient

The business trip on which I visited Aachen was arranged at short notice and coincided with a house move and a bout of bronchitis. As a result, organising accommodation was at the bottom of my list (if not below) and as I knew that I would have my laptop in tow, I envisaged myself comfortably ensconsed on a DBahn train, booking my accommodation on line.

Hmmmm ... so much for my faith in technology! My 3G card resolutely refused to function from the time I set foot in Germany to the time I left (although it worked like a charm in Holland and the UK), so I found myself arriving in Aachen, exasperated, exhausted and feeling rather sorry for myself.

Enter the Hotel am Banhof. Less than 100m stagger from the railway station, this unpretentious little budget hotel was the answer to my prayers!

The hotel's location is its defining feature, and makes it ideal for travellers arriving by train. It is also an easy stroll to the heart of the Old Town, but then in small, compact Aachen, nothing is ever too far from anything else. However, if you have heavy baggage or limited mobility, a word of warning: there is no lift and I was left lugging my very heavy suitcase up three flights of very steep stairs.

The room was tiny with a small en suite bathroom and was painted a very unappealing shade of bright yellow (think of fields of oilseed rape in full bloom and you'll get the idea). However, it was clean and warm and that was all I wanted.

The room rate included a standard 'buffet style' breakfast, which was nothing outstanding, but generous and filling. The restaurant is located in the hotel foyer directly overlooking the entrance to the railway station, and offers good 'people watching' opportunities: much to my bewilderment on the day after I arrived, which turned out to be Karnival! I hadn't realised that my trip would coincide with the festivities, and it took me a few minutes to twig what was going on as otherwise sensible looking adults wandered past in increasingly bizarre garb!

One charming feature of the restaurant is that it is decorated with a mural which depicts the view out of the window as it would have been a century ago (which I meant to photograph, but never quite got around to).

In summary, a good, cheap, well located budget option that would particularly suit people arriving by train.

• Written April 11, 2011

• Nemorino profile photo Nemorino
  • Reviews: 2814

Hotel Stadtnah: Near the station

I chose this hotel because it is near the main railroad station and isn't too expensive, but still has en suite rooms, i.e. you have your own shower and toilet.

Admittedly it's a bit dark and run-down, but that didn't bother me since it was clean and the breakfast buffet was all right.

I booked through www.hrs.de and paid 48 Euros per night for a single room, including breakfast.

During the day there is nobody at reception, but a sign on the door tells you to go around the corner to another hotel and pick up your key, which was no problem.

Also right around the corner there is an inexpensive internet café.

• Written May 15, 2009

Hotel Stadtnah

• hydronetta profile photo hydronetta
  • Reviews: 903

B&B hotel Wuerselen Aachen: If you're driving

Located at the suburb town of Wuerselen not a long drive from Aachen and the Belgian or Dutch borders, this motel belongs to the hotel chain which is rather popular in France. The price for a double room is around 57 euros per double per night including breakfast. But be careful! The hotel advertises itself for its automatic check in, so if you have already made a booking you’re given a booking number which is necessary to unlock the door and to find out your room number and your access code. The rooms don’t open with any sort of keys but by a pin code provided by the time you electronically check in ! All in all a no thrills hotel but affordable and suitable if you want to break your trip overnight.

• Written October 11, 2006
Tip Photo

• charlesracine profile photo charlesracine
  • Reviews: 182

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Stadt Koblenz, now called Hotel Stadtnah: Across from HBF / Bahnhof / main Train Station

Convenient, clean, nice hotel for connections from Aachen HBF / Bahnhof / main Train Station. About 30 rooms. Now called Hotel Stadtnah. See the other posting for Hotel Stadtnah.

Location is very good, directly across from the Train station.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Trains
  • Written September 8, 2006

• djhartmannn profile photo djhartmannn
  • Reviews: 7

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

B&B Hotel in Aachen-Wurselen: Clean, inexpensive place to sleep near Aachen

Nothing fancy...If all you want is a place to sleep and the best price this may be the place for you.

Great family rooms...two twin beds and a double. Just 59 euro for 4 per night.

Ultra convienient location. Just moments from the 44 interchange.

Huge Tooms store just down the block...great if you need supplies. (Opens at 8AM)

Not much for food in the area; McDonalds, KFC, Subways (are we in the USA?) and Tooms.

Most of the other hotels we saw listed were well within the city. Staying out in the "burbs" made our stay more convenient getting in and out of town and probably a lot more pleasant.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 26, 2005
Tip Photo

• aukjejetty profile photo aukjejetty
  • Reviews: 443
Euregionales Jugendgästehaus Aachen: Aachen's only Hostel

This hostel is clean, basic, and serves a good breakfast in the morning. If you stay here you are required to have (or buy at the desk) a youth-hostel membershipcard. It costs €20,90 per night. Bedsheets are included and also a breakfast in the moring.

It is possible to walk here from the main train station "Aachen Hbf", but if you carry heavy luggage I would recommened a bus. Of Aachen main station left up to the former tax office ( second big intersection), from there with the bus line 2 (direction "Preuswald ") to stop "Ronheide " - or with the bus line 12 (direction " Diepenbenden ") to stop "Colynshof ".

You will have to be inside the building before 1am, and breakfast is served between 7 and 9am.

• Related to: Budget Travel