Mercure Hotel Aachen Am Graben

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Modern, Mid-Range Hotel in the City Center

The Mercure Hotel Aachen am Dom (fka Mercure Hotel Aachen Am Graben) is a modern hotel conveniently located within the city center. The hotel is clean and well-maintained. The hotel staff is very professional, and the staff members with whom I interacted spoke perfect English.

I made my reservations in advance through hotel.de. The positive was that I received an excellent rate (65 EU for the first night, and 75 EU for the second night). The negative is that it is necessary to pay with your credit card upon booking, and breakfast is not included in the price.

My room was fairly large, the bed was comfortable, and the shower was excellent. Also, there was generous closet and drawer space. My room was on the 3rd floor. To get to the ground level, I had a choice of either the elevator -- or a neat spiral staircase with a great view of the pedestrian zone below.

I was a little disappointed that the room did not have an in-room combination safe. However, there was a safe deposit box at the front desk.

The cost of breakfast was 15 EU. At first, I was reluctant to spend this much for breakfast. However, even with the high price, I highly recommend the breakfast. I ate it on both mornings of my stay -- and the quality and selection are outstanding!

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel for a tourist visiting Aachen.

Unique Quality: Convenient center city location

Free internet usage for guests

Safe deposit box at front desk

Directions: City center

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Loved it!

I really loved this hotel even though I only spent one night there. It's clean, centrally located, the staff is friendly, it's got bright "clean" decor and fun glass enclosed spiral staircase. After a long overnight flight and two train trips, it's refreshing to check into someplace where you can feel so comfortable. And to be just steps away from all the major attractions is key.

I must mention, however, that I found the price of breakfast (12/14 Euros - can't remember which) to be pretty steep. We had to catch an early morning train and ate at the station. Luckily, the hotel's right in the middle of the city. You don't have to eat there!

Unique Quality: I loved the speakers in the bathroom and the beautiful black and white photography in the hallways.

Directions: Right by the big shopping street!

Comments