Hotel Am Roemerhof

Roemerstrasse 20, Bonn, North Rhine-Westphalia, 53111, Germany

More about Bonn

Bonn MinsterBonn Minster

Bonn UniversityBonn University

photo by edjumariphoto by edjumari

view from the hilltop of the Hohe Achtview from the hilltop of the Hohe Acht

Travel Tips for Bonn

Schwarzrheindorf's Old Jewish Cemetery

by RhineRoll

When doing some hiking in the Rhine Marsh, I came across a memorial stone just next to the bike path on the dyke. Stopping and reading the inscription, my attention was directed to an orchard-like area of trees and a lot of tombstones beneath them. It was obvious from the inscriptions that this was an old Jewish cemetery -- one of the largest in the Rhineland and one with a varied and very interesting history. Thanks to a local school project, it is very well researched. The info is largely available in English too, I've included the link further down. The cemetery was subject to several floodings during the centuries. It was heavily damaged in WWII by Allied bombings, because the German ground defense had built a mock airport near the cemetery. More recent attacks occured in the form of smearings by Neonazi thugs. If people could let these souls of the past finally leave to rest in peace, this would be a wonderful location indeed. I am very ashamed that it is still not happening that way.

The inscription reads:
"Sachor lo tischkach
Remember – do not forget
your murdered fellow Jewish citizens
so that this time will never return again.
Erected on 9 November 1968 by the city of Beuel."

There is very little to add to that.

Beethoven's mother' grave

by margaretvn

A visit to Bonn would not be complete for us without a visit to the old graveyard (Alten Friedhof). Beethovens mother is buried there and we go along to visit the grave during a trip to Bonn. Maria Magdalena van Beethoven, née Keverich - Beethoven’s mother was laid to rest at the old cemetery (“Alter Friedhof”) in Bonn in 1787. During her last illness, the young Beethoven who had been in Vienna for only a few days interrupted his stay in the city and returned to Bonn to be at his mother’s death-bed. A plain flagstone at the grave, (which was rediscovered in 1932), reminds us of what the Master thought of his mother with his words - “She was such a good and amiable mother to me, she was my best friend”.
She is buried along the outer wall but there is a map showing the most important graves.

Exhibits at the Arithmeum

by Nemorino

The really unique thing about the Arithmeum is its collection of over 1200 historical mechanical calculating machines from three centuries, from their beginnings in the 17th century to their abrupt end when electronic computers started taking over in the 1970s.

Second photo: More mechanical calculating machines in the sunshine.

Third photo: Here is an exhibit to warm the heart of anyone who was halfway serious about high school math in the pre-electronic era: a slide rule complete with instructions on how to use it, and a good explanation of the principle behind it -- calculating with the aid of logarithms. I still have two or three slide rules around the house somewhere, but haven't used them for years since a 5-Euro pocket calculator can now achieve the same results. In high school the real math freaks used to wear 36-inch slide rules in a scabbard on their belts, like a sword. I wasn't in that league, but always had my normal 12-inch slide rule with me.

Fourth photo: In the basement of the Arithmeum there is a whole wall full of mechanical calculating machines from the 20th century.

Fifth photo: An elegant mechanical calculating and card-punching machine. From the 1890s until the advent of floppies and hard disks, cards with holes punched in them were the medium of choice for storing large amounts of data. (As late as the 1970s, punch cards were often used to store data for use on main frame computers.)

Bonn

by patricia28

"The city of Beethoven !"

Bonn is a wonderful place, it has a little bit of everything. The days of the World youth day every city in Germany was crowded but Bonn had style :)
We arrived to Bonn after a trip that my friends and I would like to forget hahaha first we were supposed to be carry by bus to Dusseldorf but then somebody told us that there were people of the church waiting for us but in Bonn :/ ok we decided to go to Bonn but the driver was so mad because he didn't have to travel to Bonn at the beginning. We tryed to be nice with him but he was mad... we stayed quiet trying to enjoy the trip because there were people from the university of Santiago singing and telling stories we didn't want to hear hahaha sorry... finally we first went to Dusseldorf to let the other people there and then we came back to Bonn, nobody wanted to ask the driver why he didn't go first to Bonn...
Anyway we arrived to Bonn very late at night and we got lost in the city, the driver didn't have idea where he had to carry us... he was desperate and annoyed, we were worried... The driver asked somebody in the street to guide him to the place he should have been like 2 hour before...

We finally arrived :) very late but there were still people and families waiting for us , that was cool! I stayed with my friend Rosario at Marga's house a nice citizen of Bonn. She received us at her apartment and she gave us all the comfort we needed.

The day after , We met with the other chileans in the church and we decided to go out to know Bonn, I was the guide with Roknil ( a friend) we had a map so we started to walk down. We wanted to know some squares and the house of Beethoven's friend hahaha of course we got a little bit lost hahaha but a nice german family saw our faces and they invited me to enter to their house, I did it and they were so kind with me, they gave me a glass of juice and they showed me the rightwaytogo to the place we wanted to.
We did it and we visited some museums, and some places around. It was a nice beginning.

This picture was taken that day of the first adventure, this place is the one where people go to learn music, it is a very nice place.

The other day we had some activities in downtown and in others locations of the city. That day we went by subway to a Park were all the activities were happening. We saw the inaguration of the World youth day, we enjoyed a band festival and we also had the opportunity to visit the city. Bonn is beautiful, it has many old places to visit and of course all related to Beethoven. I felt really well walking around and watching the different stores, buildings and restaurants, the city was full of people from all over the world, maybe it did it more exciting.
That day we stayed until late at night in the party, meeting people and hearing music in the festival. The problem was to come back to our locations in the city, because the metro was crowded. There were hundred of persons trying to get into the subway, that's was horrible, but once we were inside of it we met people from Sweden and India they were all dancing "La gasolina" hahaha Daddy Jankee is also famous there!

This is one of the most famous monuments in Bonn :)
Other day in Bonn and we did some activities like vist Dusseldorf and Coln. This was a nice place that I am sure we will all remember specially one night a friend got lost with german boys, but he came back sane with some stories about animals...
I left Bonn before all the group and I did it alone because I wanted to visit Holland, so I went to buy a train ticket and I left one afternoon when my friend roknil went to say good bye to me with our flag in the station.

Sunset on a winter hiking day

by tremendopunto

The light during a sunset changes so quick - the best moment is a question of just a few minutes. So it is really difficult to be at the right spot at the right time to catch the perfect light. All the pictures below are taken within 30 minutes, though the order is not according to the time. The first four pics were taken in the end but within 10 minutes!
These pictures are true colours - they are NOT digitally mastered.

When the sky turns deep orange during wintertime/Christmas sunsets, old folks say that the angels started to do the cooking (Christmas bakery)

The clouds look dramatic but the sunset is still some time away. This is the hilltop view from the Hohe Acht - the highest hill of the Eifel.

Comments