Park Hotel

Rated 41% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Bonn

Bonnsch, BonnBonnsch, Bonn

Rhine riverRhine river

Burg Stahleck reigns over Bacharach and the RhineBurg Stahleck reigns over Bacharach and the Rhine

BonnBonn

Travel Tips for Bonn

Begger

by hekate

This something I did not expect to see in Bonn. Homeless guys playing some music surrounded by his bags and accompanied by his dog. It is even more striking when on the background you see the trendy shopping windows...

This was a sight that would not be surprised to see in Sofia since we still have to catch up with our economical development. But after all it seems that some things are the same everywhere no matter how well developed is the country.

This picture might give some food for thought for the people from Eastern Europe who believe that everything is perfect in Western Europe and leave their job, families and friends hoping for a better future. Of course, the might find it but it is not necessarily a must as we can see.

OK, I know it sounds like preaching, so I will shut up :)

Rathaus

by Sjalen

Where there used to be a Gothic medieval building, there is now this lovely old Town Hall which was finished in 1738. The city has of course long outgrown this one, so the Council now has offices in an ugly high rise building at the beginning of Oxfordstrasse, but distinguished guests are still entertained here when visiting Bonn. The most famous event is otherwise when Theodor Heuss, the first Federal President, was elected in 1949, and showed himself to the citizens of Bonn on the lovely outer staircase. You can visit the town hall from May to October on Saturday mornings when there is nothing else going on.

Womens Museum

by Sjalen

I never had time to visit this, but being a Swedish woman, I took great pleasure in there being such a museum here and want to at least give it some attention. The museum has a sister museum in Berlin, and has exhibitions on all sorts of things in the world of women, from powerful godesses in history to human trafficking. There is also lots of art and workshops as well as a museum shop.

City of Beethoven

by Rislo

"One of my favorite composer: Beethoven"

Since I've seen the movie about Beethoven's life "Immortal Beloved" (1994), my view toward Beethoven's music has changed a little bit. His music really reflects each phase of his life.

"Beethoven House"

As I’ve been playing piano quite long time and I was studying music, Beethoven is one of my favorite composers. Again my snail-mail friend also sent me a pamphlet of the Beethoven House. Finally I could visit this great composer and touched a little bit of his life at the house he was born.

"Bonn University"

When I was studying German at a community college in Oregon, USA, I was doing a snail-mail with a student who was a student at Bonn University at that time. She wanted to learn Japanese, so I tried to teach her some Japanese via emails. Sometimes she sent me postcards, and I sent her a parcel with sweets and some other stuff. Well, somehow we stopped emailing each other because she was about to go study abroad in the following year, so I don’t know what she’s doing now. But once she sent me a postcard of Bonn University which was very beautiful and made me want to visit there one day. Here I am, 5 year later visiting Bonn University….what a mystic!

Luderl's Coffee Stains

by lauriejeanne

While cycling through Europe in the summer of 1983, I spent a few days in Bonn visiting my thesis supervisor (who was doing sabatical work at the Beethovenhaus there). At the time, Bonn was the capitol of Germany. I enjoyed my stay very much and my most fond memory was visiting the Beethovenhaus itself.

The house (where Beethoven was born) is beautifully kept. The rooms are tiny and one room was blocked off with a ribbon. Inside the room, a single vase stood on the floor holding red roses. Next to the room, a sign explained that this was the room where Beethoven was born. In fact, no-one has a clue in which room he was born. My thesis supervisor told me that they just picked any old room (made sure they picked a particularly small one) and decided that would be it. Apparently tourists from all over the world kneel down and kiss the floor.

Next to the museum part of the house are the archives. No-one is allowed in there, but because my professor was researching a book on Beethoven, he had unlimited access. In we went and we poured through Beethoven's sketch books. Now that was an experience that had me in awe.

While Mozart's works formulated themselves completely within his mind, Beethoven agonized over his compositions. His sketchbooks are difficult to follow at first and one must indeed know the music itself very well in order to be able to slip inside of the composer's mind and trace his thought process.

We were looking at works from his later period. His handwriting was messy and most of his ideas were scratched out with pen or smudged with spilled coffee stains. But the excitement of looking through the scratches and stains and discovering themes, partial themes, and motives that indeed do appear in later movements of the same work, thus unifying his movements in amazingly subtle ways was unbelievable.

Comments