Essener Strasse 140, Bottrop, Germany, 46242, DE
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Bottrop

Model German city Movie ParkModel German city Movie Park

Scene from the local stunt show at Movie ParkScene from the local stunt show at Movie Park

Kai and the talking GermknödelKai and the talking Germknödel

How to get thereHow to get there

Travel Tips for Bottrop

Indoor Snowboarding in Bottrop

by sabsi

"The "Alpincenter am Tetraeder""

When we heard that ex weltcup skier Marc Girardelii had opened an indoor skiing place in Bottrop we decided "That's where we will try to learn how to snowboard". The problem was, we didn't only decide - we actually did it: After a rainy February weekend in Cologne we arrived at the Tatraeder on another rainy Sunday morning.

The whole thing is build on an old coalmine. Around it there's nothing but industrial area. A really strange view to see people with skis and snowboards walking around on the crowded carpark!

Anyway my sister Bigs and me were getting nervous as we had never been skiing nor snowboarding before and we had booked a beginners course. With us were our friend Bea -the snowboard queen and my boyfriend Colm who can snowboard as well.

"Inside"

So we rushed in, overtook the long queue because we had booked that course and we didn't want to miss it because of standing in that line for too long. (Our Expo experience ;-) We know how to avoid queuing ;-)

Anyway, a conveyor belt brings ya to the top of the piste where the ski and equipment rental and the changing rooms etc are. We got our shoes and snowboards. Because the lift wasn't ready an hour ticket was valid as a day ticket when we were there so Bigs and me paid 49 DM incl. an hour lesson and equipment. The others paid around 30 DMs.

"The course"

OK so we actually started the course. We had to learn to jump and to fall and to get to know the snowboard. And after 10 minutes we were wrecked!!! HAHA After 30 minutes I was so pissed off, I would have loved to go home. Everything was really exhausting and frustrating and I was hoping that the course would be over soon because my feet hurt from standing around on that thing without moving. The one hour felt like 8 hours!!!

In the end we tried to actually move like we should move but of course we kept falling over. As soon as the course was over we took a break and we were very relieved :-)

"Fortschritt"

OK, after the break we decided that we can do better than that and went back onto the piste and tried. We tried and tried and tried and tried. Colm exlained everything to me again and suddenly I understood what I did wrong and what I had to do.

"Centimeters..."

Suddenly I knew what I had to do to break and how to steer the board. Yippeeee! Of course I was still falling over but I knew why and I only fell after actually moving for a few seconds!

"My trainer ;-)"

Colm was a perfect trainer and he didn't move a lot after he started telling me how it works. Sorry and thanks for that :-)

"Success!"

After a few hours we decided to stop. We had bruises everywhere and all muscles were starting to get sore already. All we wanted was a chair, a drink, a bed and an "Apfelstrudel"!!

Of course we had to do some pictures before we brought our boards back because we were really pround of ourselves. I wonder why ;-) ... Have a look at my arms - my jumper was all white coz it was full of ice and snow!!!

""Einkehrschwung""

So we went to the restaurant inside the alpincenter. It's quite a funny place actually because it looks like a place in the alps somewhere with a lot of wood and alpine things and when you look out of the window you see the coalmines and it's raining heavily.

The fried apple rings with custard were absolutely lovely and we were tired and happy and went home...

unfortunately it felt like actually coming home from a real skiing holiday because 1 hour before we were at home an icy storm started and it took us ages to get home...

My muscles were sore for more than a week but I will di it again!

Comments