Brühl Hotels

Our Members Say

• Steve-H profile photo Steve-H
  • Reviews: 506

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Restaurant OLE: Germanys answer to Fawlty Towers?

Wierd. The owner was ill & I was left to deal with the chef/village idiot who spoke german which was no use to me so we tried spanish and he was fluent but had such a thick accent that I found it very hard to understand him. We mubled through introductions, he showed me the room, we mumbled through breakfast the next morning and the morning after that. At 70 euros a night (£56) I was expecting more from it but I didn't have time to use the bar or the restaurant or try the tapas so I can't tell you if it's any good, it certainly looked good.
On the last morning we mumbled through the trying to pay the bill scene,I discovered that it was cash only (not the only time this has happened, I suspect it was because it was low-season and a little undeclared income was due) So I was given directions to the nearest ATM, I didn't have time for that, I was going to a wedding. So with my luggage in one hand and my credit card in the other I left.
Over the next two days messages arrived to let me know I had left an unpaid bill, I knew that but I was going to make the buggers sweat.
My room was nice though, smallest one I had on this trip, very clean as usual, bathroom a bit on the small side but functional.
What the photo does not show is the bloody great petrol station to the left of the Hotel.

Ay, Here's the rub... The hotel Ole is on a main road and next door to a petrol station so when I opened the windows one hot night I couldn't get any sleep because of the traffic. There's a beer garden but it's between the hotel and the road, not very intimate or condusive to conversation.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Food and Dining, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written September 4, 2008
Tip Photo

Hotel Ole (knicked from their website)

• Steve-H profile photo Steve-H
  • Reviews: 506

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Rheinischer Hof: A step back in time.

I tried the Ramada just up the road but as usual the big chains were charging big prices so I went down the road to the Rheinischer Hof and was glad that I did, a double room was 65 euros, about £52.
The Rheinischer Hof isn't the most modern hotel in Germany, in fact, if you were shooting a post cold war movie then you could do a lot worse than come here. It is clean and the service is great but the fittings are wonderfully dated, you could pay a lot of money to stay in themed hotels elsewhere but this one reeks of 1970's kitsch.
When it comes to reeking, don't forget that Germany still hasn't implimented a smoking ban, you will need to request a non-smoking room.
The dining room is big and although the view of modern houses & the car park isn't very cheerful, the owner is, he'll take good care of you and see that you get a good breakfast.
My room was big enough, TV all in German again, locking cabinets, fitted wardrobes, small balcony, seperate bathroom, room service will make the beds every day. The carpet was a bit threadbare in places but on the whole for walk up booking I was rather pleased, I had tried to get into the Jaegerhof just up the road where some of the wedding party had just vacated their rooms to return home. It was more expensive and I was told there were no rooms, though obviously there were so the Rheinischer Hof it was...

It has it's own pub next door, and it has bowling too, and a beer garden - this is useful because Germany still allows smoking in bars and some restaurants.
opening hours: 10-13 o'clock, 17-24 o'clock, cuisine 18-22 o'clock, Tuesday day off,
2 bowling lane.

• ettenaj profile photo ettenaj
  • Reviews: 672

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Phantasia: Stay in Dreamland

Let your winter dream day end with dreams in the Chianese four star experience hotel Phantasia. When its really cold out side you can enjoy exotic cocktails at one of the bars. Enjoy the treats of the buffet restaurabt Bamboo and the a la carte Lu Chi. Reservations taken by telephone

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Theme Park Trips
  • Written January 10, 2007

China Town

• ettenaj profile photo ettenaj
  • Reviews: 672

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beggerist: Phantasia Sister Hotel

This is the sister hotel to the one actually inside Phantasialand. It is about 500m walk to the theme park. Clean and warm a little basic but ideal for an overnight stay if you are visiting the park. Breakfast was ample with cereals, breads, yoghurts and jams, also juice and hot beverages. They will arrange dinner at the other hotel as they do not provide meals apart from breakfasts. There is a vending machine in the small dining room that provides snacks and soft drinks. There is also a restaurant across the road, we didnt use it but it did look very nice.

• Opinion of Price: about average