Excelsior Hotel Ernst

MM212's Profile Photo

Excelsior Hotel Ernst: Opposite the Cathedral

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 18, 2011

A member of the Leading Hotels of the World, Excelsior Hotel Ernst offers a modern version of old world luxury. Its location, facing the Cologne Cathedral in the heart of the city, could not be better. It is housed in one of the rare 19th century buildings lucky enough to have survived WWII. I stayed here one brief night on business in November 2011. I was given one of the newly renovated rooms facing the courtyard (not the Cathedral), beautifully decorated with one of the best showers I have ever seen! I definitely would return here.

SurfaceTravel's Profile Photo

excellent hotel, great location

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 16, 2006

We found this hotel via the Leading Hotels of the World web site, and it certainly belongs there. It is an excellent hotel in the best location in town, right across from the Dom and very near the train station. Rooms were large and spotless; service was excellent.

We did have a misunderstanding about the price. I had found this place on the web earlier in the trip, but didn't get around to booking it until reaching the Cologne airport train station (where we had dropped off our rental car). I called them up on the mobile, got some room options and some prices. The price sounded really good, so we booked a Superior Double, and I did ask twice, "This price is for both nights, right? We're there for 2 nights." Answer, "Yes". Upon check-out, we were astounded that the price was, in fact, for each night, not both nights. Well, I argued because I had indeed double and triple checked this when I booked it over the phone. So we ended up negotiating and we ended up paying about 30% more over my understood price, much less than their 2 nights' price.

I would still stay there again. It is excellent, but perhaps not quite the value for money it might have been.

Directions: Right downtown across the street from the Dom and one block west on Trankgasse from the Hauptbahnhof (main train station).

jwha's Profile Photo

Not impressed

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 13, 2006

If we were to go back to Cologne, we would definetely stay at another hotel. This place wasn't horrible, but for the price, it could be so much better.

We chose this hotel based on recommendations on a variety of different sites, leaving us a bit discouraged. When we got there the room wasn't ready, so we walked around and did some sightseeing and had some lunch. They told us to come back at 2:30, when we showed up at 2:45, the room still was not ready. About 3:15-3:30, we checked again, this time they told us, they had upgraded us since our room wasn't ready yet. They were going out of their way to make up for it...so we thought. The reason it was called an upgrade, we had a room with an air conditioner. When we got to our room, there were 2 single beds that were pushed together. No big deal, other european hotels have single beds. The shower didn't have a shower curtain, everytime we showered, the bathroom floor was flooded. They had a dress code to walk through the main lobby of the hotel in order to maintain a high class look to it I guess. You cannot wear shorts, sleeveless shirts, flip flops..etc. The staff was nice, however they were not very helpful when it came to tourist questions. They gave us bum directions to the Nurbergring race track, telling us to take the train to Bonn and a taxi from there, costing us a large Taxi fare. For anyone going to the track, take the train to Koblenz then the shuttle bus to the track. This will save you atleast 100.00 Euros

Directions: Directly across from the Cathedral and the train station.

zuriga's Profile Photo

LUXURY

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 27, 2005

We had a great stay at the Excelsior Ernst... thanks to it being a business trip. This is one of the nicest hotels I've ever been in - beautiful rooms and a great, friendly staff. There are two first class restaurants, one Asian, the other Continental. The location is ideal - right across from the Dom and at an underground tram station... the railroad station is a short hop around the corner.

Unique Quality: Good exercise room, free mini-bar of drinks and excellent service.

Directions: Next to the Tourist Office and McDonald's... right at the Dom.

Krystynn's Profile Photo

The impressive (and luxurious)...

by written on August 24, 2002

The impressive (and luxurious) *****star Excelsior Hotel - located just across the street from the magnificent gothic Cathedral. If you (like us) can't afford to stay here, you can still pop by this lovely hotel for a cup of coffee - like what we girls did. :-)

I heard that the Hanse Stube Restaurant serves excellent food too. So perhaps you may like to check it out when you're here.

Unique Quality: Its EXCELLENT central location i.e. right in the city center and a stone's throw away from the train station.

Directions: Address: Domplatz, D-50667 Cologne

Nearby Excelsior Hotel Ernst

Excelsior Hotel Ernst

• Excelsior Hotel Cologne

Address: Trankgasse 1 - 5, Domplatz, Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, 50667, Germany

7 Photos of Excelsior Hotel Ernst

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Cologne Travel Forum

Need advice about Cologne, Germany? Visit the Travel Forum for Cologne and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cologne hotel reviews

Museums
Churches
What a fantastic difference
Things to Do
Cologne, City Center: WUNDERBAR!
My third visit to Cologne