Ursulaplatz 9-11, City, Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, 50668, Germany

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• garridogal's Profile Photo

A good place to stay

Overall, staying here was a good experience. The hotel itself was very nice with funky modern decor, clean rooms and comfortable beds. When we first checked in, I was dissappointed to discover that our room was on the corner of the ground floor as there's a parking lot right outside the window and the hotel is located right next to an overpass to a highway. To the hotel's credit, we didn't hear a thing once the windows were shut and were never awoken by any noise outside. However, I didn't see an air conditioner in the room. If you're looking into staying here during the summer, I would inquire about this if you're a light sleeper.

The price was great at 99 Euros a night which included a full European style breakfast buffet with a lot to choose from.

My only issue is that although it's centrally located - right by the train station and the Dom - being over the highway overpass makes it seem a little remote. If I had been staying there alone I wonder if I would've felt a little nervous walking there at night.

Unique Quality: I must mention the interesting piece of furniture in our room. It was like an imitation painting on a pole that rotated to become a mirror with the table portion then facing front. We named ours "Maxi".

I also loved the funky blue mood lighting in the bathroom.

Directions: About 4 or 5 blocks from the station and the Dom

• Senoritasmile's Profile Photo

Great location

This hotel is just a 10 min walk from the cathedral, the old part of town and the surrounding streets, full of shops. Staff were efficient and friendly, decor was funky, breakfast spread was good. We were staying in a triple room which had plenty of room and 3 proper beds for just 99 euros a night. The bathroom, although spotlessly clean and modern, was very small.

A safe and comfortable choice

• Maidstoneman's Profile Photo

Boutique hotel

Situated less than 10 minutes walk from the station this small boutique hotel stands on a very busy inner ring road. The rooms are minimalist. Ours was rather bare to say the least! But it was clean and comfortable. The public areas are a knockout - bright colours and very modern furniture. Breakfast was great, though some of the seating is better to look at than sit on! There is a small bar, nicely decorated, but it somehow lacked atmosphere and we preferred to drink eslewhere.

I would certainly stay there again, if only for the location.

Unique Quality: Boutique simplicity and style. Location.

Directions: To the NW of the cathedral, on the side of the railway.

• TempNomad's Profile Photo

A pleasant surprise

I booked this hotel the night before we arrived in Koln, so I really had no idea what I was getting us into. I was very pleasantly surprised. We had parking for 8 euro a night, a fabulous breakfast spread, comfortable rooms, and a convenient location.

The lobby is pretty funky too. There is a small bar off the lobby, but we didn't stop in. It is near the Hauptbahnhof, and within a ten minute walk to the Dom.

Unique Quality: There was this huge portrait in the room, and we turned it to find a mirror. I peeked into some other rooms and they all had the same one. Funny.

Directions: If you follow the signs to Hauptbahnhof you'll almost get there. It's off to the right when arriving in the city, if you reach city center, you've gone too far.

• JoeNYC's Profile Photo

Cool and trendy

This hotel is very cool and trendy with different paintings in each room. My room was pretty small but it was still a good stay since the hotel is very well located. It's across the street from the main train station and a couple blocks from the cathedral. The hotel bar is fun and breakfast is included. Prices aren't bad either.

Directions: very close to the cathedral

More about Hotel Cristall

Anyone heard of Hotel Cristall Cologne

by sormuiyan1217

Hi,

I will be travelling to Cologne for a night as a middle stop between Amsterdam and Berlin.

I am thinking of booking the Hotel Cristall Cologne, does someone know a bit about the hotel?

1) Is the location close to the main tourist sites?
2) Is the hotel clean?
3) is the hotel worth the 3 star rating?

Can someone also tell me whether Cologne is a good mid point to stop at ? or should I spend a little more time and go to frankfurt instead? Or Neither?

Thanks.
Flora

Re: Anyone heard of Hotel Cristall Cologne

by RhineRoll

Hi Flora,

Cologne is a very good mid-point to stop at. For someone travelling (by train, I suppose) from Amsterdam to Berlin, Cologne makes more sense than Frankfurt.

VTer KaiM has an extensive VT collection of tips on Cologne.

The Hotel Cristall is very central, that much I can say from looking at its website. It looks nice; being not clean certainly would come as a surprise.

Winfried