Hotel am Rhein

More about Cologne

Cologne CathedralCologne Cathedral

2. Original Cologne Mustard2. Original Cologne Mustard

Wallraff-Richartz MuseumWallraff-Richartz Museum

young richiecdis ready for the Kyoung richiecdis ready for the K

where to stay near cologne and where to take the kids

by pinkchez

Ok well yes i may crazy but we've decided to take a european road trip (may 2009)with the kids (aged 8,5 and nearly 2) and one of our stops for a couple of days will be around cologne.
we are using euro camp in france and luxembourg and holland, but not sure where to stay in cologne, as euro camp provide the tents, we need somewhere similar, or a very reasonably price b&b/hotel thats child friendly,
plus any ideas on where we should visit????

by manuna

Kids will love chocolate museum in Cologne.

by Elena77

There is a camp site close to Cologne called "Waldbad Camping". It is located at a forest and close to a wildlife park. You can also book rooms there and it is even possible to rent a caravan for your stay. Unfortunately their home page is in German only:

But you could contact them directly and ask for detailed price information:

Peter-Baum-Weg 20
D - 51069 Köln
Tel. +49 (0) 221 600 15 88
Fax +49 (0) 221 60 88 31
It's also possible to send an email via "Kontakt" button at their above mentioned home page.

Regards,
Elena

by RhineRoll

The kids will surely love the Phantasialand theme park in Brühl, that's about 20 km SW of Cologne:

Travel Tips for Cologne

The tourist office

by kayzee

I think the best thing I've done during my short visit to Koln is going to the tourist information desk.

Everyone in the tourist information dek could speak english very well and one of the girls did help me a lot by explaning whats there to see in Koln and gave me map with instructions on how to visit all the importnt locations.

I did not follow the instructions exactly but that gave an idea where I should go next.

The tourist information desk in just in front of DOM (the cathedral) if you come to the front door of the cathedral and look across the road you can see the tourist information office a small place. but was very helpful Trying to deside what is the next Church that I have to visit. My god there is so much to choose from...

Floating Gym

by steventilly

One of the big Rhine Cruisers near the chocolate museum had its gym facing landside. When we were going up to the museum we saw a woman in there on a cycling machine, and she looked virtually dead. She was giving slow, laconic pedals, and had this really weary expression - not just on her face, but her whole body screamed "get me out of here".
When we returned over 1 hour later, she was still there, looking exactly the same. We started to suspect it was some punishment, or that she was actually a galley slave and had to do this to provide the power for the ship or something.
I know we shouldn't laugh, but oh how we did! Cycling Machine

Cologne Main Railway Station

by mickebear

One of the most important railway hubs in Europe, Cologne railway station has direct connections to everywhere in Central Europe. There is a train stopping at the station every single minute during every single hour of the day and night.

Restaurant

by Leipzig about Gasthaus am Dom

I didn't ate here. I just sit inside to warm my frozen body on a cool Koelsch Beer :-D Although I was in Cologne in August it was pretty chilly and I didn't have warm clothes with me. As far as I remember the restaurant had a very rich menue card with German cuisine.

Cologne Cathedral

by aukahkay

Coming into Cologne by train, boat or bus, the most distinctive landmark which can be seen from afar is the Cologne Cathedral. Construction of the Gothic church began in 1248 and took, with interruptions, more than 600 years to complete and was finally finished in 1880. The two towers are 157m tall, the cathedral is 144m long and 86m wide. The cathedral is dedicated to Saints Peter and Mary. Cologne Cathedral remains the tallest Gothic structure in the world and is the seat of the Archbishop of Cologne.

Comments