Value Score No Data
Good For Families
Good value 4* hotel, 10 minutes from Cologne
I stayed at the 4* Hotel Kaiser am Wienerplatz for 7 nights in July 2006.
The hotel was offering a special promotional summer rate of 45 Euros per night for a private single with breakfast included at the time of my visit.
This small hotel is located in the suburb of Mulheim, a 10 minute journey from central Cologne by public transport (see my transport tip for more details).
Mulheim itself has plenty of shops, restaurants, fast food joints, supermarkets and Internet cafes. The hotel is located just 20m from the large Wienerplatz square which has a beer garden at its centre and contains the Stadtbahn station for travelling into Cologne.
My room contained a single bed, satellite TV (BBC World, CNN, MTV and 30+ German channels), a walk in shower cubicle, a separate toilet and washbasin room, a desk and chair, a comfortable cushioned chair, a telephone, an iron and ironing board, a large wardrobe, a shelf above the bed, artwork on the walls and a series of vases with flowers in.
The room consisted of a carpeted hallway leading into a separate bedroom with a wooden floor and a large rug on the floor.
The room didn't have air conditioning and did tend to be very hot at nights. There were no coffee and tea making facilities provided, nor a mini bar, but I believe that some rooms do contain a mini bar.
Maid service was carried out daily and fresh towels were provided each day.
Unique Quality: .
The hotel operates a 24 hour reception, with friendly staff and a few promotional leaflets, free maps and city guides.
There is a hotel bar that opens daily at 6pm.
A small car park is located at the rear of the hotel for the use of guests.
The buffet breakfast (included in the price of the room) is excellent. It is served between 6am and 10am in the ground floor dining room and offers a huge choice of food and drink. For example, you can choose from:
- cereals: about a dozen choices of cornflakes, muesli, coco pops, cereals with fruit, nuts, chocolate pieces;
- a hot plate containing smoked bacon, sausages, pepperoni, scrambled eggs;
- a huge selection of different bread rolls, sliced bread, croissants;
- yoghurts: a large selection of yoghurt pots and jugs of Greek yoghurt;
- fruit: a large bowl of fruit salad (strawberries, kiwi, grapes, apricot, orange, apple) and a selection of fresh fruit and dried fruit pieces;
- cuts of cold meat, a variety of cheeses, boiled eggs, fish, prawns, salad items;
- a selection of biscuits, cakes and sweets;
- orange, pineapple and grapefruit juices and a choice of tea or coffee.
I booked via www.bookings.org but the hotel would prefer you to book directly. I would suggest that you check the special offers on bookings.org and then contact the hotel directly to make sure that they will offer you the special rates. Presumably they will do, but if not, book via bookings.org instead.
An excellent value hotel with a superb breakfast included in the price. Not centrally located, but Cologne is just a short 10 minute tram or train ride away. Highly recommended!!
Directions: Located in the suburb of Mulheim, a 10 minute journey from central Cologne by public transport.
Popular Hotels in Cologne
Trankgasse 1 - 5, Domplatz, Cologne
Kennedy-Ufer 2A, Cologne
Domstrasse 26, (formerly Hotel Domgarten), Cologne
Johannisstrasse 76-80, Cologne
Explore the World
- Sunsquare Montecasino Hotel
- Chateau Cartier Resort
- Broadway Hotel
- Busuanga Island Paradise
- Orlando's Sunshine Resort
- Days Inn Dickinson, ND
- Seaside Laguna Inn & Suites
- Laguna Shores Condos
- Avalon Hotel
- Hotel Baia degli Dei
- Cambridge Youth Hostel