Top Hotel Buschhausen Aachen

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 32% less but rated 27% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Cologne

Roman Tower, CologneRoman Tower, Cologne

Costumed collector in the Cathedral.......Costumed collector in the Cathedral.......

Reconstructed roman templeReconstructed roman temple

airport train stationairport train station

A restaurant near the E-Werk in Mülheim?

by christine.j

Can anyone recommend a restaurant near the E-Werk? I did a google search and saw they do catering in the E-Werk, but this doesn't seem to be a restaurant.
I'm looking for a place to get a light meal, close enough so that we can walk to the E-Werk and not have to wait for a bus or S-Bahn.
Thank you.

by hexelein

I don't have a direct suggestion, but I've made the mistake of going to the E-Werk without having eaten first, thinking I'd find a nice café nearby. That proved to be quite wrong. Your safest bet is probably near the Bahnhof, or find a restaurant elsewhere in the city. We ended up going all the way back to the city.

by christine.j

Thank you for the warning. That's exactly what we had in mind, going to the E-Werk a bit early and having a light meal there. So we're going to stick to the city and eat first.

by RhineRoll

Head for nearby Keupstraße, there are several superb Turkish family eateries. Our favourite is the "Doy Doy" but there is a huge selection!

by christine.j

Thank you! I think Keupstrasse is where we have to get off the tram, so we'll be there anyway.

sure!

If you don't like the Turkish stuff, there is also a Kölsch-type beer garden in the same complex that houses the Best Western Park Consul hotel which BTW also has a surprisingly good small restaurant...

by RhineRoll

@Hexelein sorry to hear about your experience... do feel free to use our local knowledge the next time you end up in Cologne! My basketball gymn is only a km away from the E-Werk so I know a lot of good eateries in Köln-Mülheim. It's completely unnecessary to go back to downtown Cologne, I can assure you!

by RhineRoll

This is the Kölsch Brauhaus I was talking about....

by christine.j

Super, Win, vielen Dank! It's great to have a choice. Even though I'm not a beer drinker, I really like Kölsch, so the Brauhaus looks like the place to go.

by RhineRoll

yes, and it's important to keep in mind that the Turkish restaurants generally don't serve alcoholic drinks. The Brauhaus surely does and also has some finger food. I'd still suggest to check out Keupstraße as there also are some Turkish bakeries and bakery/restaurant/cafes. It's famous in Cologne!

by hexelein

Ooops, sorry, Christine, I managed to click 'no' on helpfulness on that last post of yours there, so then I had to 'yes' you as well and ... sorry. Confusion and a rabid mouse!

> Even though I'm not a beer drinker, I really like Kölsch

Don't you mean 'because I'm not a beer drinker, I really like Kölsch'? ;)

by RhineRoll

LOL.... I see you have visited Düsseldorf in the meantime...

No, I don't have a car, so no need to drive to Düsseldorf [to park*] :p

I lived in Köln a while back, but I never did manage to adjust to the "beer".

* Not sure that particular joke translates well, tbh.

by RhineRoll

LOL... but how about the Altbier that's home to Düsseldorf -- did you like that one better than the somewhat watery Kölsch (BTW Gilden Kölsch is quite herb, it tastes almost like a Pilsner type beer)

by christine.j

Gilden Kölsch is like Pilsner?? Then I won't like it at all, too bad.
But we don't go to Köln for the beer, it's just one of the nice extras.

Travel Tips for Cologne

Crossing bridges

by Sjalen

Don't forget to cross at least one bridge in the city centre for great views of the city centre riverbanks from the opposite side. In fact, there are also some fun places to explore here, not just the huge trade fair. The train bridge has a pedestrian section to walk across which is a very rewarding walk.

Best Carnaval in Germany!

by Pavlik_NL

Köln is famous for it's Carnaval and especially the 'Rosenmontags'-parade (Roses- or Pink Monday) is very impressive. Huge cars with puppets and other colourful creations are pulled along a route through the centre. When you go and look, be sure to also join the party by dressing up crazy, colourful and joyfull.

U-Bahn ticket machines

by darkjedi

This is the machine you need to buy your ticket on the underground metro. Simply press the UK flag on the screen and instructions will be in English or several other European languages. Make sure you have plenty of change and enjoy your trip.

Usually, you find your destination either on a map or chart and note its zone and push the corresponding button on the machine usually a combination of zone number and either adult or child. Then pay the amount shown on the display and take your ticket and any change. You may be required to validate your ticket just before you use it-- look for the words "Entwerten" or "Entwerter" and an arrow on the ticket. If your ticket requires validation, find a small box with a slot on the front, usually marked Entwerter. These are located at the entrances to subway and rail stations and on-board buses and trams. Insert your ticket in the slot as indicated by the arrows. The date, time, and location will be stamped on the face of the ticket.

Discovering the Belgian Quarter

by Docu2001 about Ticino

My first dining experience in Cologne and I was well pleased. We had been out looking at apartments all day, the sun had set and His Holiness was about to get cranky from hunger, so was I for that matter. Two doors down from one of the apartments we looked at was a small, new looking restaurant. At first we thought we would just have a coffee, perhaps some milk for HH, but as we sat at the bar the smells from the kitchen and the warm atmosphere of the room drew us in.

Ticino is a softly lit, warm, Italian cafe with a friendly bar and a good kitchen. A nice neighborhood spot, yet quiet enough for an intmate dinner. We had a quick meal that night and I will be back to this page again with more reviews. HH had a simple pasta with tomato sauce, prepared just for him by the kitchen. We thought this a very child-friendly move on the part of management, and something that added to the special quality of the experience.

We both had a delicious mixed salad with medallions of pork, well prepared, tender and altogether satisfying. I tasted two local red wines, both of which were tasty and well priced.

We will definitely be back!

It's not like you could ignore it...

by garridogal

How could you NOT go to the Dom? It's spires are visible from so many points in the city. In fact, I recommend staying in a hotel near to it so you can use those spires as a guide to get you home when you've had too much Kolsch and are alittle confused...

But seriously, we walked by the Dom all the time while in Cologne and every time, I had to stare at it and naturally, take pictures. I put a travelogue together with those photos. Check it out - you know you want to...

Comments