Concorde Hotel Schumann
Bonner Strasse 15, Dusseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, 40589, Germany
More about Düsseldorf
Sky Train - Interior
this is your brain on drugs?
More civilized, compare to Amsterdam
Side trip? Hotel? advice?
We (2 adults 15 year old girl and 7 year old boy) are arriving in DUS on June 9 and leaving on June 25. We are planning on driving north to visit family near Denmark. We would also like to visit the area and are soliciting advice.
1. Last time (only other time) we visited Dusseldorf we stayed in the Swissotel in Nuess. We visited the oldtown. My wife and daughter said that all of Dusseldorf is just a bar (perhaps that was because I was tired -- and enjoyed sitting and drinking the "Alt" -- so what should I show them this trip that will change their mind (figure we have one full day)
2. Since we will be driving north right from the plane -- where do you suggest we stop and why? (thinking about 2-3 hours north of Dusseldorf)
3. Any sidetrips that you reccommend from Dusseldorf? Koln? Wupperetal? Etc.
4. Any hotels you recommend? In town or outskirts? any unique accomodations around? castle hotels in the area?
5. Any other advise you care to give? I am open to all suggestions ....
Re: Side trip? Hotel? advice?
Well, I think you have plenty of options within Dusseldorf.
So you will arrive at the airport.
You could first drive to Kaiserswerth.
Stroll around and then go on a river cruise to the North Park Acqua Zoo.
Have a look at the Aquazoo-Löbbecke-Museum. It is worth a visit.
Don't forget to eat some "Spargel" in Kaiserswerth.
Travel Tips for Düsseldorf
Dusseldorf is full of amazing architecture - old styles in the Altstadt and the moderrn gleaming contempory designs too. This was one of my favourite impressions of the landscape by the media port with the Gehry buildings and the Rhine Tower.
Announcing a settlement to become a city is a great thing - but why build such an ugly monument? you see it's built by a genius, an artist, including a huge number of details, history, stories, symbols, you can learn a lot about our city by letting someone explain the monument to you.
in my opinion it's just dark and messy and an unnecessary piece of art...
Don't eat the starter salad!
Greek restaurant with tasteless food.
Went there with a group of 7 people - None of us were impressed.
Salads were lifeless, taramassalata was horrible, starter salads were covered in some strange 'gunk'. I don't have a favourite as it all looked so bad.
It was cheap (7,40 euro) but justifiably so!
A Mighty River...
The River Dussel is what gives Dusseldorf it's name. A vast tract of water, it almost cuts the city in half. Picturesque houses and tree lined boulevards flank the river, and elegant bridges cross it at regular intervals.
Although it isn't immediately apparent, the Rheinuferpromenade is an astonishing piece of engineering. To the pedestrian it is a pleasant stretch of river side walk from Oberkasseler bridge to the State Parliament buildings, but underneath this sedentary 1.5km walk is the snarling traffic of Dusseldorf's rush hour, a tunnel carrying well over 50,000 cars a day. This phenomenal engineering work cost the city nearly half a billion DM and took seven years, being finally completed in 1997.
Popular Hotels in Düsseldorf
Volmerswerther Strasse 35, Dusseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, 40221, Germany
View all Düsseldorf hotels
View all Düsseldorf hotels
Latest Düsseldorf hotel reviews
- Hotel Duesseldorf Mitte
- 135 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 26, 2014
- Four Points by Sheraton Central Dusseldorf
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 5, 2014
- Aparthotel Garni Im Toennchen
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2010
- Sorat Hotel
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 9, 2014
- Hotel Alt Duesseldorf
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 10, 2014
- Hotel Manhattan
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Orangerie am Speeschen Palais
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 19, 2014
- Hotel Lindenhof
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2014
- Best Western Hotel Savoy
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 21, 2014
- A&O City Hauptbahnhof Dusseldorf
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 27, 2014
- 80 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 29, 2014
- Hotel Bejuna
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2014