Hotel U.

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Düsseldorf

Airline LTUAirline LTU

OrangerieOrangerie

Be wise to waste moneyBe wise to waste money

TheatreTheatre

Trains from Dusseldorf to Duisburg and fares

by sirgawain

Hi there!

My name's Cris and I'm Spanish, although I grew up between Madrid and London and I love to travel as much as my pocket & credit card allow me too...

I'll be travelling to Duisbuig next Friday Septembre 29th, via Dusseldorf, and I would like to know how often the trains are and if it's worth while getting a weekend card to travel in and out of Dusseldorf, and Duisburg, and within the cities. Is it the same zone, or not?

Another thing I'd like to know is waht kind of weather to expect during that weekend?

My intention is to go as many interesting places as possible, historical,etc., problem is I won't have much time since I'll be arriving on Friday, midday, and Saturday will be spent at the 6th International Discus Championship hel in Duisburg, I will only have Friday afternoon and Sunday morning to go sightseeing and visiting places of interest, from a tourist point of view.

Could anybody suggest nice places to go, please?

Thanks in advance and waiting to hear from you soon.

RE: Trains from Dusseldorf to Duisburg and fares

by abalada

DB timetable
From: DUS
To: Duisburg

Both cities are inside the same local public transport network, the VRR. But not in the same zones.
You'll need mostlikely a ticket price level B (into a neighbouring zone).
Single ticket price level B is EUR 4,00. Day ticket EUR 9,30.
A day ticket for one city (e.g. Duisburg) i.e. price level A is EUR 4,90.
There are no weekend tickets in the VRR.

Duisburg Tourism
-> DU Information
Duisburg is mainly known for it's big harbour
-> Excursions
and the Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord

Düsseldorf Tourism
Has the most famous and one of the most expensive shopping streets in Germany: the Kö

RE: Trains from Dusseldorf to Duisburg and fares

by Weissdorn

I lived in Duisburg for 2 years, and it's a nice city to live in, now that the coal mines have shut down, but there aren't many touristy kind of things there. Duesseldorf has more to see, and has a much more interesting night life. There are 2 museums in Duisburg worth seeing - the inland shipping museum (Binnenschiffmuseum) and the modern art muesum in the Kant Park. It's always a good idea to get a special train card to explore the area, but Duesseldorf and Duisburg are not in the same zone, because they are in different counties. It may rain off and on next weekend, and be windy.

A really interesting day trip, would be to travel to Xanten for the day, and see the medival/Roman town on the Rhine river - it's about an hours' drive, but really worth seeing. Another place worth seeing, is the Zechenzollverein in Essen, where you can see the history of coal mining in the first and foremost industrial area in Europe.

Oh, and I recommend eating in a restaurant across the street from Kaufhof called Schacht 4/8.

Travel Tips for Düsseldorf

A reunion at the airport

by sabsi

My boyfriend and I had one of our long awaited reunions on Düsseldorf airport after having been apart for almost 2 months. I went there to pick him up. It was shortly after the September 11 events and at that time everyone was really aware at airports because of bombs etc. I was at the airport early because it has been raining heavily all day and I didn't want to get soaked in Dusseldorf city centre - I just wanted to be somewhere dry! I stood at the arrival and watched other people having reunions (I like that. Well, I love reunions!) when I realized a suitcase next to a conveyor belt inside the gates. It stood there for more than an hour, noone noticed - not even the border police that walked by at least a hundred times). I didn't say anything because I didn't want all arrivals to be cancelled. I had waited for Colm for 8 weeks, and I wouldn't have liked to wait for more minutes than necessary....

Diamonds are a girl's best freind.....

by sourbugger about Swarovski

.....but glass is cheaper.

My better half loves the products of this company. Some of the products of the Austrian glass compan are kitsch rubbish, but much of it is finely detailed and makes for a good gift.

The shop was quite busy when we visited a couple of weeks before Christmas.

The shop is on the larger size, and also featured an area upstairs where hassled husbands (or partners or whoever) could relax on some sofa and enjoy a free coffee or two. There was also a free gift-wrapping service...just great for us men who dread that task each year.

Best hamburger in town in posh atmosphere

by shibay1 about Space Burger

Hamburgers are not my favourite dish but this place is a very special one so I just have to mention it here. There aren't many good quality restaurants in the old town of Düsseldorf but this one is an exception.

The quality of meat seems very good. As far as I can tell, it's 100% pure beef. The menu itself is very unique with interesting photos and the description of various burgers.

You need to get a side dish of fries and sauces (mayo or ketchup), although the size of the burger should be sufficient for most.

This is not a typical burger-joint but posh. More young ladies in nice dresses are regular customers than hungry teenagers (they go to Burger King/McDonald's not very far).

The service is also a top class (I've been there 3 times). Dietrich burger with country fries.

St. Maximilian Church

by antistar

Just past the market in Carlsplatz is the pretty St. Maximilian church, set in a little square of its own. This Catholic parish church, known locally as "Die Max", is the colourful Baroque remains of a religious site that was first founded on the vestiges of a Franciscan Monastery in 1651. Inside the church remains the same as it has done for centuries, and includes 17th choir stalls and even a 15th century lectern.

Neuer Zollhof

by martin_nl

From the Rheinturm we made our way to the Neuer Zollhof. This is where you will find the three buildings designed by architect Gehry. The buildings all look different and weird too, or interesting as some would say. These strange buildings provided a perfect background for a group picture.

Comments