Lutticher Strasse 130, Dusseldorf, North Rhine-Westphalia, 40547, Germany

The Rhine River at DüsseldorfThe Rhine River at Düsseldorf

Wood School for kidsWood School for kids

Exotic ceramicsExotic ceramics

Media Harbour, DusseldorfMedia Harbour, Dusseldorf

Alternative things to do in dusseldorf plz?

by AnatolyZ

Hey dear friends!!!
im in dusseldorf with my girlfriend,do u know maybe something interesting in dusseldorf but the typical places and historic stuff?:-)any ideas to do for 2 days since we know the historical places rather well...?
thanks a lot!!!!
Anatoly

by Lila0603

Alt Stadt and its pub ... fun in the evening

by GrumpyDiver

A few thoughts:

1. The Altstadt sells itself as having the "worlds longest bar", i.e. lots of drinking establishments;

2. The Königsallee (or Kö) is one of Europe's premiere shopping streets (for high priced goods). I remember walking down the Kö when a pair of Ferrari's pulled up. A man and woman popped out of each and went hand in hand into one of the stores.

3. The theatre and opera house (Deutsche Oper am Rhein) are both very good. I never did make it to the theatre, but took in a number of operas.

4. There is a large exhibition complex in town and if there is something going on at the time, it might be interesting.

5. There must be soccer (football) and ice hockey in town, as I remember running into hoards of fans on the weekends.

I seem to remember some interesting galleries and museums as well.

by Waoife

If you haven't been there already, then I'd recommend a day trip to Cologne - it's only about an hour by train and work seeing :)

Travel Tips for Düsseldorf

City Guidebooks

by tayloretc

There’s a series of small paperbacks on different aspects of Düsseldorf – walking tours of the city, breweries, museums, and a few other things. They were available in the bookstores in the train station and airport, although I only saw them in German. Die Düsseldorfer City had some good basic information about the old town and a couple of other places within walking distance. Not comprehensive, but a good overview.

Duesseldorf Sports Teams

by Krumel

The three most well-known sports teams in Duesseldorf are the DEG (Icehockey), Fortuna Duesseldorf (Soccer) and Rhinefire (American Football). Fortuna's and Rhinefire's matches take place in the Rheinstadion near the trade fair buildings (Messe) while the DEG plays in the Eisstadion in Brehmstrasse.

Bike sharing in Düsseldorf

by Nemorino

Photos:
1. DB CallBikes in Düsseldorf
2. NextBike with eyecatcher slogan
3. NextBike with parking slogan

Like most other large Germany cities, Düsseldorf has numerous NextBikes and DB CallBikes available on the streets for spontaneous rentals.

The DB CallBikes are provided by the German Railway System Deutsche Bahn (DB). I first used them in Karlsruhe when I was there for the big VirtualTourist meeting EuroMeet 2008, so I have explained how the CallBikes work on one of my Karlsruhe tips.

The NextBikes are similar to the CallBikes, but a bit cheaper. I have described the NextBikes in one of my Dresden tips and more recently in one of my Leipzig tips.

I very much enjoy using the bicycles from both NextBike and DB Call-a-Bike, but the one disadvantage of both systems is that to check out a bike you have to have a cell phone -- unlike the Velib' system in Paris, for example, where a modern credit card with a chip is all you need.

The NextBike in the third photo has the slogan: "With me you can park everywhere."

worth a little walk

by richiecdisc about Brauerei Schumacher

Schumacher’s main location is a bit apart from the Old Town and is in fact closer to the train station. It is a beautiful dark wood traditional pub that I finally made it to on my most recent visit to Dusseldorf. There is a smaller pub on Bolkerstrasse for those not willing to make the pilgrimage but for those with the time it is well worth the small effort. Schumacher makes one of the city’s drier alts which makes for a “can’t get enough” experience that was made worse by my short allotted time in the pub. You see, we were on a short layover from Dresden back to Florida. Most people would while away the hours in the airport lamenting the schedule and bored stiff. But with no decent alt in sight I decided to make a mad dash for the city center and this great brewpub. We only had about an hour to kill once there but it was enough time for three beers and a small snack. They were out of both metthappen (raw pork on a roll) and tartarhappen (raw beef on a roll) so I opted for a Frikadelle (the forerunner to a hamburger) served oddly without a roll but quite tasty. I could have stayed for hours but then I’d have missed my plane back home! Forgive my forgetting to take a photo but hey, I was a bit rushed!

Their stronger beer is called Latzenbier rather than Sticke and is only served on the 3rd Thursday in March, September and November.

Schloss Benrath

by Krumel

Schloss Benrath lies on the outskirts of Duesseldorf in Benrath. I have never been inside yet to see any of the three museums, but only ever went for walks in the castle grounds. There is a lake in front of the castle and a big park on the back of it where you can go for lovely walks either around the long canal-shaped lake or in the little square forest beside it.

Comments