Schaper Apartment Dusseldorf

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about Düsseldorf

Airline LTUAirline LTU

Benrath castleBenrath castle

Bist du, bist du?Bist du, bist du?

DB TicketDB Ticket

What is Dusseldorf like at New Year's Eve?

by cessna152

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are thinking of going somewhere for New Year's Eve. I've narrowed it down to Dusseldorf and Copenhagen.

So here are a few questions so I can make up my mind. We are in our early 30,s so are not looking for party-party-party, but we do want to hit the bars.

1. Will we have to fight our way to the bar all the time?

2. Will it be booking only for bars and restaurants?

3. Any good hotel recomendations for about 100 euro per night? We would ideally like one near to the central sights.

4. How much for a beer?

5. How far is the airport from the centre? And how much will it be by taxi?

6. In the UK, New Year's Eve is a major thing. People are packed like sardines into every pub. There also might be vomiting and fighting! Is Dusseldorf more cultured than all of this?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

RE: What is Dusseldorf like at New Year's Eve?

by PaulKirk

definately reccomend Dusseldorf over Copenhagen. I haven't been at New year but the Altstadt has lots to reccomend it. Bars are small so should not be ticketed. the brauhauses like Schlussel or Schumachers are bigger so may have entry restrictions. Try the Auberge for Metal music, the Zwiebel for 70's and Julios for 80's. There are several Irish bars that may have ticket restrictions but generally the Altstadt is somewhere where all ages congregate and there's plenty of choice. Locals will hopefully advise on New year's Eve but I'm sure you'll be fine. The local beer (Alt) is dark and malty and prices for 0.3 litre is about 1.50 euros. Don't worry about vom and agro. It's rare but then it is New year's eve. I've not had any problems and it's a lot safer than England. The age groups are so wide that you will be surprised at the general atmosphere. The airport has good connections to the centre and there's an excellent Metro/pubic transport. Try the Hotel Bismarck. It's a few years since I stayed there but it's central and should be in your price range. Don't even think about Copenhagen.

Travel Tips for Düsseldorf

Sarcastic Köbes (waiters) in Altbier pubs

by BillNJ

It is a Düsseldorf tradition for the Köbes (waiters) in the Altbier pubs to be somewhat sarcastic. It is done in a fun, lighthearted way -- and it adds to the atmosphere. I encountered a little bit of this Köbe tradition at a bar on the Rhine promenade with VTers Sabs and Thomas. On that occasion, our Köbe was a young guy who loved to talk -- and we were some of his only customers on a rainy afternoon. After a few Altbiers, he asked me whether I wanted another. In reply, I told him that I would prefer a glass of mineral water in the next round. Upon hearing this, he told Sabs and Thomas in German that he would bring me a toothbrush with my water. I'm sure this type of line is typical for the Düsseldorf Köbes, but it was very funny to me as a visitor to Düsseldorf.

Local Mustard

by rollinstone81 about Düsseldorfer Senfladen

Senf (engl.=mustard) is one of the specialities from Düsseldorf. One of the most famous dishes from here is made with Senf, (the Düsseldorf Senfrostbraten= a steak with a mustard and onion marinade). So the stuff is called Löwensenf (lionsmustard) and we eat it extrascharf (extrahot). I think it would also make a nice souvenir, buy it in a supermarket or at the special shop, they have nice glasses that would do for a gift.
Opening hours: Tuesday-Friday:10am-1pm ; 1pm-7pm
Saturday: 10am-4pm Mustard

Virtual Harajuku Heaven

by SwanCarlos about Na Ni Wa

This place is right out of Harajuku. Na Ni Wa is slice of Japanese comfort smack dab in J-Town Duesseldorf. The ambience is laid-back, efficient comforting and wooden. Combine this with the delight of watching the chef's cook in the stage-like kitchen. You will realize your greatest treat is however the food. Great and kind service is bountiful as well. Eating Ramen can be transcendent, yet most of the time limited. Whenever I am able to find a new Ramen eatery the first thing I order is either the Shio/Shoyu (Salt/SoySauce) - if available - or the Miso based with Chashu (Roast Pork loin). These are usually the weather bells of whether the place will warrant your return.

The Miso with Chashu did NOT disappoint. The broth was classic in it's simple and light taste. Made from a white miso - yet with what I suspect is a hint of the darker red mixed in - the broth was thick enough to have been a joy on the cold rainy day I dove into the restaurant. The Chashu was however the highlight. Made from a high grade cut of pork the meat was wonderfully cooked to it's pink perfection. I prefer a style of Chashu popular at only a few restaurants that slices the slow cooked loin into thick cuts that fall apart when laced into the soup. But Na Ni Wa's was the best thinly sliced I have had. I would have liked to have had some Togorashi (Spicy Red Pepper Mix) available to spice up the soup, but I think that might have raised the hackles of the chef. I didn't have the Gyoza, but I am looking forward to my return where I will try their Kim-Chi Cha-Han (Fried Rice). They even serve the wonderful local treasure "Alt" beer on tap.

Burgplatz

by Helga67

The Burgplatz is a lovely square near the river. It is here where the little river Duessel flows into the Rhine, where there is a lovely statue of children playing and a shipping museum located in the only remaining tower of a 13th century castle that was burned down in 1872.

Kunstsammlung Nordrhein-Westfalen

by DanielF

The art collection of North Rhine-Westphalia started when the regional government purchased a collection of pictures by the famous painter Paul Klee in 1960. This Klee collection is still the core of the museum, but with the course of time the museum has gained in importance and it currently displays works of almost all the so called "modern classics": Picasso, Kandinsky, Braque, Miró, Mondrian and many others.

In its origins, the art collection of North Rhine-Westphalia was displayed ath the Jägerhof castle. In the 1980s it moved to this elegant modern building with a polished facade on the Grabbeplatz, in the very heart of the Old city. The collection has become so big, that an enlargement of the building is currently planned.

Comments