Kloster Graefenthal

Massstrasse 48-50, Goch, North Rhine-Westphalia, 47574, Germany

More about Goch

Many jews, like the synagoge, did never returnMany jews, like the synagoge, did never return

Houses and architecture, Goch has a pretty mixHouses and architecture, Goch has a pretty mix

The evanglistic church in Goch on the marketsquareThe evanglistic church in Goch on the marketsquare

The entrance to culture and history of GochThe entrance to culture and history of Goch

Goch, Germany

by peterjanet

Can anyone tell me where to stay in Goch, Germany. I will be traveling to Europe on Decemer 27th and plan to stay 1 week. I can not however find any hotels to stay at in Goch, Germany. Thank you.

Re: Goch, Germany

by ettenaj

We were going to stay in Goch in September, but we found a great place in Kevelear, not far from Goch , take a look at my Kevelear page it was a great place to stop highly recommend it.

Re: Goch, Germany

by wolf66

Coming from the States to Germany and staying one week in Goch???
Wolf

by RhineRoll

This is a link for the entire region... the so called Niederrhein (Low Rhine)... It's quiet and off the beat a bit, but very nice.

Goch has its own web page including several hotels there, but it is only available in German:

You could also try the hotel-portal

There are plenty of things to do and see for one week. I particularly recommend paying a visit to Xanten and the Roman Archeological park there.

Should the weather turn really nasty, the big cities on the Rhine -- Düsseldorf and Cologne -- are less than 1 hour away.

by peterjanet

I have never traveled outside of the U.S. before and I am taking my son to Goch to meet a friend. Is it too small of a town for a whole week? I understand that there are some interesting cities nearby. Any suggestions? Thank you, Janet

by peterjanet

Thank you for your response. I am not a seasoned or really any kind of traveler. This is the first time I have traveled outside of the U.S. I am taking my son to meet a friend in Goch and would like to stay in that city. Your pictures were beautiful and I am going to plan on going there. Can you tell me if it is a good idea for me to rent a car. We are flying into Amsterdam and I didn't know if I should try to take a train or some other form of transportation to Goch. Thank you, Janet Harringon

by RhineRoll

Janet, renting a car will be a good idea in my opinion. Goch is quiet, but it is a fine place, with neat houses built of red bricks, small pedestrian zones and very clean streets. It must be stressed, that in Germany there is no such thing as totally dead places. It's about 60 miles to at least 7 cities with more than 500.000 people, just to give you an idea of how populated the area is. This contrast between land and city is one of the most striking things of the Lower Rhine region. The Dutch border is very close, so visiting the Netherlands is a must. The Rhine river dominates the landscape, so a stroll on one of the dykes watching the ship traffic is highly recommended.

I would suggest doing a search on google to find English pages about the following cities, and you can also type in their names here on VT of course:

Kleve
Kevelaer
Nijmegen
Arnhem (Remember the famous war movie)
Venlo
Cologne (Köln)
Bonn
Aachen
Mönchengladbach

Nearly all shops and services close on Sudays
December 31st is not officially a holiday, but many premises will close at 1 PM
January 1st is a public holiday

Hotels in Goch:

Hotel am Kastell

Hotel de Poort

There's also a couple of smaller hotels, pensions and b&bs in or around Goch. You should write an e-mail to the city and request the Tourist Office (Verkehrsbuero) info@goch.de They offer a booking service and should be able to to deal with English-speaking people :-)

by peterjanet

Thank you for all your information on Goch, especially the information on booking a hotel and renting a car. Goch is such a small town, I was unable to find any information in any travel book, at the library. Also, I was not looking in the right places on-line. I am looking forward to enjoying the small towns in Germany and the landscape and natural beauty of the country. You have made me feel much more comfortable about going on this trip. Thank you again!

Hi Janet,

you're welcome! Once again, Goch is a small market town, for German standards. The standards in this country here are very high, though, as in all of Western Europe. All services will be available. We don't have that many malls here, but that's because our inner cities usually have pedestrian zones where all the shops are located. Quite often, the city councils will try to protect the inner city businesses against competition from large malls on the fringes so that the looks and feels of the historic centers is preserved.

Don't look for big-scale attractions and don't try to rush through too many sights. The thing here is to put on some good clothing and walk through the streets and parks and the landscape, taking in the looks and feels of everything. Our main attraction here is the incredible cultural depth, often showing up in tiny details like frescos in church doors, window decorations, house facades. etc.

Win

Travel Tips for Goch

Slowly the stable gets inhabited with it's figures

by Pavlik_NL

Some towns have even a "live" variant, but Goch's church offers also a nice traditional one. The Christmas stable appears in December (Advent) and is slowly more crowdedly inhabited. First the oxen and donkey, then some sheep, then the sheppards. Suddenly angels appear with the star, followed by the main characters Jozef, Maria and ... on Christmas eve ... baby Jezus. Don't you just love this story? Again and again?

Who is "Poorte Jantje"

by Pavlik_NL

In Goch I met this statue and even on the extensive internet I did not find the answer to my question: Who is this "Poorte Jantje"?
Can anybody tell me?

In Goch sah ich diese Standbild und sogar auf then ausgebreitene Internet konnte ich kein Antwort finden auf mine Frage: "Wer ist diesen "Poorte Jantje"?
Gibt es jemand die es mir sagen kann?

In Goch zag ik dit standbeeld en zelfs op het uitgebreide internet vond ik geen antwoord op mijn vraag "Wie is "Poorte Jantje"?
Kan iemand het mij vertellen?

From Beguinage to Saint John's convent

by Pavlik_NL

In 1358 this used to be a beguinage that was situated against the city walls. It changed into the Johannes convent and was that for centuries long. Only in 1802 Marianne van den Bosch took over the almost empty convent and made it into a hospital, named after her father Wilhelm Anton". This was still not the stop of changes as in 1928 the Tertiarinnen founded in this place their convent. In the sisties the building however crumbled apart and only a part of the West side stayed up. The town however saw the importance of this monument and restored it to become the town's bookmaker's shop. the simple style it is rebuilt in reminds of the original.

Comments