Schieder-Schwalenberg Hotels

• Xefian profile photo Xefian
  • Reviews: 53

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Schwalenberger Malkasten

The Schwalenberger Malkasten is a half timbered delite . Located in the tiny Westfalain town of Schwalenberg ,the town and hotel can provide a nice respite from a European tour of big cities and faceless hotels. For about 62 Euro per nite (room for 2 w/ Fruhstuck) the Malkasten provides a 4 star room at a two star price. Spacious,comfy, nicely decorated,friendly. The hotel is divided into two sections the original old section and a more modern newer addition ... all rooms with WC/Shower...
the hotel also includes a nice bier stube ,and restaurant. Reccomcended

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written July 1, 2004
Tip Photo

from the path tho the castle:Schwalenberg

• goingplaces profile photo goingplaces
  • Reviews: 157

Burg Schwalenberg: Forget the hotel, stay in a castle!

A member of our group wanted his birthday to be spent somewhere special, so I found this great place to stay! I stumbled on it quite by accident, but I'm glad I did. The castle Schwalenberg was founded, along with the town, towards the beginning of the 13th century by Count Volkwin III and has been managed by the Saul-Feuchter family since 1971. It sits high upon the mountain, looking over the quaint town like a guardian. We were there in the not-quite-springtime. The trees were still bare and there was quite a cover of brown leaves on the ground. It was chilly and overcast, the perfect weather for exploring a castle.

Along with the castle itself, the grounds contain a small zoo (birds, goats, burrows) and several walking trails, and the owners don't mind if you go out exploring. I'm glad we did...we found an old cemetery...I'm talking, quite old. The neat thing is, all the headstones were printed in Hebrew.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average