There are lots of places to spend time in Bad Kreuznach (and in nearby Bad Muenster am Stein/Ebernburg) while enjoying a typical German Kur. It however seems to be a dying tradition as it becomes harder and harder for people to get someone else to pay for their Kur. It is a shame as the Kur employs a lot of people in towns where employment is hard to find. Here, along the Nahe, Kurs center around the large salinenthals but other options exist too. One such is the Radon Solarium. In caves beneath the Tea House on the north bank of the Nahe, people pay to expose themselves to low doses of radon radiation - lower than Chernobyl, for example - in the hope of a therapeutic result. The caves resulted from old mercury/quicksilver mines.
Starting from the Kautzenburg from where you have a grand view out over the city, a new path drops down along the north side of the Nahe river. You will walk past the Radon solarium and beneath the Tea House before crossing to the south bank of the river where the trail threads among the parks that make up the Rosen Insel - a name that persists despite the fact that the island is contiguous with the mainland today. There are several stops along the way with tablets explaining different features along the way.
Bad Kreuznach, a spa town worth seeing
"First a little history"
Research showed that stone age people settled here.
Later Bad Kreuznach was founded as a Celtic settlement 5th century BC, it´s name was Cruciniacum.
After that Romans came, who liked the mild climate here, and built a lot of villas ans halls. Parts of an old Roman palace can be visited.
2000 years ago wine growing was introduced, which still charactererizes the countryside around.
The basis for today´s spa treatment are the town´s saline springs, first mentioned 1490. In 1843 the first spa building opened.
Built in 1913, was place of many historical events. Guests were: founder of Turkish state Atatürk, French presidents Charles de Gaulle and Francois Mitterand, Germany chancellor Helmut Kohl.
The castle was built in the 13th century, it was destroyed in 1689 by troops of King Ludwig XIV. It´s final appearance was given by architect Gottfried Boehm in 1972. Today it´s a restaurant with nice view over the town.