Schillerhain 1, Kirchheimbolanden, 67292, de
Hotels.com Booking.com hotel.info

Satisfaction Average

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Kirchheimbolanden

In need of some paintIn need of some paint

A cowboy in Kibo, isn't it a strange picture?A cowboy in Kibo, isn't it a strange picture?

An early MaypoleAn early Maypole

The senior citizens'home - formerly the castleThe senior citizens'home - formerly the castle

Travel Tips for Kirchheimbolanden

Town of Towers under the Thunder Mountain

by christine.j

Doesn't that sound like straight our of a fantasy book? This is what the small town of Kirchheimbolanden calls itself.
Well,it's true there are quite a lot of towers for such a small place, and the highest mountainin the area is called Thundermountain, but no dragons are fighting here.
It is simply a nice, small town, administrative center for the area, no industry at all, so it was not bombed and destroyed in the wars of 20th century.
Since the towns and villages around it are even smaller, Kirchheimbolanden has been the seat of the administration for centuries. The name is usually shortened to Kibo, which is much easier to say.

I had been near it very often, but this was my first real visit there and I liked it a lot. Growing up there must be hard, though, wonderful for small children, but nothing to do for teenagers. In fact I don't remember visiting a town which was quieter that Kibo. When I asked where the town center was, I was told I was standing right in it.

It reminded me of a small town in France, during lunch hour when nobody is out in the streets. Some memories of my childhood, probably, but when I read about the history of Kibo I learned that Napoleon had built a road from Paris to Mainz right through it. So there is some French influence after all.

The name Thundermountain most likely comes from the Germanic god Donar. He was the highest god of the Germanic tribes. When the Romans were in the area, they renamed this mountain Jupiter's mountain, by the way. With 687 meter high the mountain is the highest in the Palatinate. I can see it from my balcony.

Comments