Maikammer Hotels

• Trekki profile photo Trekki
  • Reviews: 2326

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Waldhaus Wilhelm: Peaceful haven in the forests

This hotel is a peaceful haven on the eastern slopes of Palatinate Forest, on the way to its highest peak, Kalmit. I found it via Google Earth when I was looking up a place to stay during my three days roundtrip with newly registered VTer Lucy from Perth. I immediately liked the hotel website and the prices were reasonable. When I called to book our rooms, one of the owners, Marlies Stoesser, was very helpful and cheerful, typical Palatinate mentality. But website photos and phone calls are only one side of a medal, the reality was much better! The location of Waldhaus Wilhelm is priceless! Stairs from the road with parking for restaurant guests lead up through a beautiful garden; the whole house is surrounded by garden and forest. We were cheerfully greeted by the other owner, Günther Wilhelm, and received our keys. Our rooms were small but spacious enough for single rooms. From the small hallway with spacious cabinet and a big mirror is the door to the bathroom with shower, toilet and sink. The room itself with windows to the south and views onto the opposite forest hills had a bed, desk, table, TV and chairs. I especially liked the colour concept: pleasing pastel pink walls, dark turquoise furniture and curtains with flower motif. The bed was firm and the bedclothes soft and fragrant. I remember that I saw a sign that they use material which is proved to be anti-allergic. My two nights were very pleasant and peaceful. No noise at all and the birds woke me up in the morning. I like this since at home, Frankfurt airport’s departing planes wake me up...
Breakfast next morning was huge. Everything we could wish for was nicely displayed on a buffet: fresh bread and rolls, boiled eggs, marmalade (including homemade ones from the region), honey, cold cuts, cheese, Palatinate specialities (like blood sausage and liver sausage), several cereals, yoghurt, fruit, homemade cake and freshly squeezed fruit juices. We could choose several teas (black tea, herbal teas, rooibos teas) and coffees (espresso, latte macchiato, cappuccino and milk coffee).

The reasons why I like this hotel so much are manifold. First it is the peaceful location, the very pleasant atmosphere and the nice and so helpful owners. And there is the restaurant which definitely exceeded my expectations! I already plan my next stay there. The owners offer many special arrangements throughout the whole year. Only a portion of these are displayed on the website. The arrangements are season related or theme related and cover accommodation and dinner. And they are excellent value! (I don’t like to use the word bargain here, because the word has a negative touch to me). In early January for example, they offer what they call “peaceful winter days”, 5 nights and 5 dinners for 240 Euro per person, which makes is 48 Euro per person per day for bed and dinner!
Dogs are allowed, they even have an own dog, Paul, of the size of a Bernese mountain dog.
Make sure you reserve rooms! When I called short notice the owner was hesitating first and told me that they are fully booked but luckily asked what I would need. When I said two single rooms she said yes, that would not be a problem! So it seems that the double rooms are more likely to be fully booked.
Oh and I must mention that despite the hotel being located at the road up to Kalmit (hilltop), the traffic seems not to be heavy. I would have expected motorbikes on the weekend mornings but didn’t hear any. I think this is because this road is not the main road up to the hilltop.

Directions:
In Maikammer, take the road L515 direction Kalmit. The hotel is located a few metres after the forest begins.

Location of Waldhaus Wilhelm on Google Maps.