Mainzerhof Hotel Mainz

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 34% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Mainz

GutenbergGutenberg

Passengers enjoy the sun deckPassengers enjoy the sun deck

Paul Simon in ConcertPaul Simon in Concert

Lots of cafes downtownLots of cafes downtown

do I have the time?

by lesmith

I will have a layover in Frankfurt (6/5 saturday) I'm arriving at 11:30am and departing 5:20pm. Do I have time to go to Mainz to take the KD boat tour? What is the exact way to get to the boat dock from the airport? I will be traveling with my 8yr old son. We plan to leave our luggage at the airport. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

by globetrott

the best part of the Rhine starts in Ruedesheim am Rhein with castles and lovely villages along the river. In and around Mainz the banks of the river are quite flat and maybe not worth seeing at all. I am not sure if KD is going from there at all.

by GrumpyDiver

I just checked the KD website - the boats depart at 8:45 and 9:45 only, and at 11:30 on certain days. You'd have to get up to Rudesheim to catch 14:15 or 16:15 departures, but these would not give you enough time to get back to Frankfurt and catch your connecting flight.

Even in a perfect world, your 6 hour stop over really only gives you at best around 4 hours to do things (you lose at least an hour deplaning, get through customs and immigration (if you are coming in from outside of Europe) and getting out of the airport. If your luggage is checked through and you are getting on a flight to another European destination, you need to give yourself a good hour to get through security and to your boarding lounge. Add to that any travel time outside of the airport, and your time to do anything drops some more.

by globetrott

in the old part of the city of Frankfurt you will also find some nice places to walk, and there will be rivercruises as well on the river Main, much smaller than Rhine and less glamorous of course, but easy to be done in such a short time !

by lesmith

thank ypu for clearly answering my question

Travel Tips for Mainz

Eight Hours on the Rhine

by cruisingbug

We took a tour boat up the Rhine River from Koblenz to Mainz. Although the scenery was, of course, beautiful, when you go upstream, there's a long time between castles. It took us 8 hours - if memory serves, going downstream would have taken about 3. I would highly suggest going, but going the other way!

Since the city of Bacharach...

by Venturingnow

Since the city of Bacharach doesn't have it's own page, I'll put some information here. This is the old crumbling church in Bacharach that you need to find in order to get up to the youth hostel. It's a pretty cool looking church because it's only remnants and most of it's gone!

Romanic house to live in

by tessy

This house was built in the end of the 12th century. It is just to find in the old part of the town. There are some flats, where people are still living. I was surprosed, because the windows are so small.

Breakfast

by mauro_pd about Altstadt Cafe'

Alternative spot in despite of the name (sounding like "old city cafe").
Good and dynamic environment, multicultural, trendy without excess, easy to handle.
It's somewhat reminding Albatros in FFurt and also Harvey's in FFurt. Breakfast offer is interesting; check the "healthy" one and taste the jogurt with some fruit ... delicious !!!

Exploring Market Square

by hunterV

There are a lot of old historical buildings in this square and in adjoining side streets.
I enjoyeed my stroll in Old Market a lot!
So many splendid old buildings!
You could spend hours there marveling at the lovely architecture.

Comments