Hotel Domhof

scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Luxury at Half Price

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 18, 2006

My freind found and booked this hotel before our arrival and I checked it out on the net but it didn't prepare me for the real thing. The rooms are beautifully furnished with every comfort you need for a good nights sleep. Bathrooms are spacious with a great shower to wake you up in the morning. I just loved the pretty court yard with ivy and vine climbers running riot on the hotel walls. Waking up in the morning was no problem for me - the carillons from the nearby Cathedral ring with a beautiful melody - but do they have to ring every 15 minutes? I might get an alarm clock which rings with Church Bells so I can get up early each morning with a song on my lips.

Unique Quality: A buffet breakfast is included in the room rate with great choices of breads, rolls, cold cuts, jams, cerials and tea, coffee and fruit juice. We got excellent rates for Sunday night - half price double for 56 euro per room including the great breakfast for two.

Directions: A few steps from the Cathedral turn left down a little street

Trekki's Profile Photo

Hotel Domhof, an unforgettable experience

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 12, 2006

When I was in Speyer some time ago, I fell in love with this beautiful hotel, just by seeing its entrance. All covered with wild wine, looking lovely and cosy. I was very much amazed to read that they have special offers for the night from Sunday to Monday: 50% off all rooms ! It was only logical that I timed our recent visit in Speyer so that we could stay in this marvellous hotel for half the price. As we stayed here the day of beatification, it was impossible to drive to the hotel during daytime, but I already have told them about our late check-in (9 pm).

The staff is very helpful, very efficient. You can arrange all via phone or email, including paying with your credit card. The hotel itself is a gem, just look at the pictures ! As we were out in the town during the day, and in a restaurant nearby for dinner, we could not take advantage of the nice seating in the courtyard (haha, we would have gotten wet anyhow), but it must be a pleasure to do so in warm weather.
The rooms are spacious, mine (single room) had a big size bed (see pic). TV and mini-bar is in the room as well. Bathroom is spacious as well, and has all you need (including hair dryer).

The price includes buffet style breakfast, and it was very much difficult to decide what to eat. You have the choice of different kind of cereals, eggs (your style), marmelade, Nutella (the nut spread), butter and margerine, a big selection of cheese and cold cuts, a variety of fresh fruits, yoghurts and all kind of bread (including crispy rolls, ahh yamm…). They serve coffee, orange juice, tomato juice and multivitamin juice as well. And you can select your tea among 20 different tastes (green, black and herb tea).

Unique Quality: Yes, it was a very wonderful experience, and I am already planning my next stay here (as a Christmas gift for my parents, to invite them here for asparagus season next year).

One remark though (Joan will write it anyhow, haha :-) ). The hotel is very close to the Cathedral. The Cathedral has very beautiful carillons (yes, although I never paid attention to carillons). But… they ring every 15 minutes. I am used to background noise (as I live close to Frankfurt Airport), but if you are not used to noise, bring earplugs to make your stay here very much enjoyable :-).

I paid 49 Euro for a single room at the special Sunday rate. Normal price would be 92 Euro. Doubles at the Sunday rate are 56 Euro, normal price 112 Euro.

They also offer all different kind of special arrangements, like Christmas and New Year specials, honeymoon specials, brewery specials (haha, I know who would love that), winter specials, Easter specials, and so on.
Look it up at their website. Unfortunately only in German. But if you need help with the translation, just contact me.

Update, November 2009:
no update i text or photos. I have only "grouped" this tip, since someone did add several hotels in Speyer, including this Hotel Domhof, to our database.

Directions: If you have the Cathedral in your back, look to your right - you can't miss the wild wine covered house, which says "Restaurant Domhof", it is on the right then.
Coordinates on GoogleEarth:

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Hotel Domhof

• Restaurant

Speyer Travel Forum

Need advice about Speyer, Germany? Visit the Travel Forum for Speyer and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Speyer hotel reviews

Hotel Am Technik Museum
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Hotel Am Wartturm

Explore Deeper into Speyer
Amazing stained glass windows !
Gedächtniskirche – Memorial Church
Painter Anselm Feuerbach’s house and garden
The Jewish Quarter and ritual bath
On our way to Hasenpfuhl - Nonnenbach
Maximilianstraße – Speyer’s heartbeat
Ludwigskirche
Archaeologisches Schaufenster
Things to Do
Stadthaus (Old town hall)
Heiliggeistkirche
Stadthaus – Speyer’s town house
Bread unlimited - delicious spreads
Café Schlosser – cake and icecream – YUMMM
Restaurants
Domhof and the famous beer garden
Inside Speyer Cathedral
Stricly for the birds
Kaiserdom – Plaza and Domnapf
Dreifaltigkeitskirche: fine wooden interior
Things to Do
Restaurant with a view :-)
The Historical Museum of the Palatinate