Hotel Domhof

scottishvisitor's Profile Photo

Luxury at Half Price

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 18, 2006

My freind found and booked this hotel before our arrival and I checked it out on the net but it didn't prepare me for the real thing. The rooms are beautifully furnished with every comfort you need for a good nights sleep. Bathrooms are spacious with a great shower to wake you up in the morning. I just loved the pretty court yard with ivy and vine climbers running riot on the hotel walls. Waking up in the morning was no problem for me - the carillons from the nearby Cathedral ring with a beautiful melody - but do they have to ring every 15 minutes? I might get an alarm clock which rings with Church Bells so I can get up early each morning with a song on my lips.

Unique Quality: A buffet breakfast is included in the room rate with great choices of breads, rolls, cold cuts, jams, cerials and tea, coffee and fruit juice. We got excellent rates for Sunday night - half price double for 56 euro per room including the great breakfast for two.

Directions: A few steps from the Cathedral turn left down a little street

Trekki's Profile Photo

Hotel Domhof, excellent discounts on Sundays

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 12, 2006

I saw this hotel already before I stayed here and fell in love with its beautiful ambience: the walls covered with wine leaves, the large inner courtyard. And when VTer Scottishvisitor and hubby came for a visit in 2007 I checked the prices to realise that they have a special offer: 50% off for the night of Sunday to Monday. At that time this meant 49 Euro for a single room instead of 100 Euro. Joan and Ken agreed, so I booked us into this hotel. It was a very good choice because it the rooms were very nicely decorated and the breakfast was excellent. Ok, this was back in 2007. Of course a lot has changed and I didn’t stay here since, but then I live approx. 1 hour away and mostly go back home in the evenings. But my local buddies told me that it is still very good, even better than we have perceived it back then.

They state that they are a 3 star hotel but in fact they have more than is needed for the 3 star classification. They have free WLAN, TV, box spring beds, mini bar, shower or bath tub (depending on the room), a nice lobby, reception desk is staffed also in the evening. Very likely their breakfast, which is included in the price, is also better than it was already in 2007. Back then it was buffet style breakfast, and we had a hard time to decide what to eat. We had the choice of different kinds of cereals, eggs (your style), marmalade, Nutella (the nut spread), butter and margarine, a large selection of cheese and cold cuts, a variety of fresh fruits, yoghurts and all kind of bread (including crispy rolls). They serve coffee, orange juice, tomato juice and multivitamin juice. And you can select your tea among 20 different tastes (green, black and herb tea).

One remark nevertheless: if you live in a quiet region back home, bring earplugs. I live near an airport so my ears seem to neglect any noise, but Joan and Kenny live in a very quiet part of Scotland and they noticed the cathedral bells which ring every 15 minutes.

What I found nice is that they haven’t increased their prices too much. In 2007 the single room was 92 Euro, today (2015) it is 101 Euro. They still have the special of 50% off for a stay from Sunday to Monday, but it isn’t announced on their website. Check before you book.

They also offer different kinds of special arrangements, like Christmas and New Year specials, brewery weekends and “Speyer Protestation” weekend. These include accommodation and meals in their restaurant. See their website for more information -> specials

Credit cards accepted, English well spoken and of course their website is also in English.

Location of (1) Domhof beer garden, (2) Domhof restaurant, (3) Domhof hotel on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., November 2006 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), August 2015: text completely revised, photos exchanged, links repaired.

Nearby Hotel Domhof

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Hotel Domhof

• Restaurant

Speyer Travel Forum

Need advice about Speyer, Germany? Visit the Travel Forum for Speyer and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Speyer hotel reviews

Jewish Heritage
St. Magdalenen Cloister
The jewel – Speyer’s Imperial Cathedral
Things to Do
Schraudolph paintings inside the cathedral
The impressive Western Portal of the cathedral
Kaiserdom - Emperor's Hall and magic views
Kaiserdom – the Crypt
Things to Do
Coffee and cake, between musum visit :-)
Cafe Maximilian, good breakfast
Restaurants
History Museum of the Palatine - a MUST !
Magnificent interior of the Imperial Cathedral
Slow Food dining, excellent dishes, Alter Engel
The Seven Deadly Sins - interesting reliefs
Kaiserdom – The Great Paradise
Domhof's very good restaurant
Restaurants
Domhof with its charming beer garden
Restaurants
Café Schlosser: very good cake in the main street
Restaurants
Restaurant with a view :-)
Restaurants
Excellent gelato in Cafe Hindenburg :)
Restaurants
Lunch and dinner next to the Cathedral
Relaxing beach time
Bread unlimited - delicious spreads
Restaurants
Coffee, cake and hot chocolate to die for
Kutscherhaus - temporarily closed
Restaurants
Convenient parking and incredible low fees
Transportation
Speyer is part of a Camino de Santiago
The Salian kings, Speyer's key persons
Things to Do
Amazing stained glass windows !
Gedächtniskirche – Memorial Church