Casa Verde Hotel Restaurant

Casa Verde Hotel Restaurant
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Trier

St Joseph and JesusSt Joseph and Jesus

Choir practise in the Dom...Choir practise in the Dom...

Rear view where the Dom joins LiebfrauenkircheRear view where the Dom joins Liebfrauenkirche

Chalices, ciboria and other altar vesselsChalices, ciboria and other altar vessels

temp housing/hostels

by Michaed34

Does anyone know if there is temporary housing available in Trier? I have never been to a hostel, but do they limit they number of nights you can stay? I am wanting to spend 1-2 months in Trier come July. I have been looking around and only came across one decent website, that I actually saw in another post here. If anyone has an advice where to find housing I would appreciate it : )

by lostsooner55

If you are under 26, you might wish to visit: www.statravel.com. I looked at: www.tfthostels.com, and : www.hostelworld.com, and they had only limited listings. Gary

You can try short time accomodation with locals, Wohngemeinschaft (WG):
www.hunderttaseusend.de
Enjoy Trier, it's a very nice place :)

You can try short time accomodation with locals, Wohngemeinschaft (WG):
www.hunderttaseusend.de
Enjoy Trier, it's a very nice place :)

by Michaed34

I tried going to that website Luisa but it did not come up on my computer. Is there any other way to search for it?

by luisalaranjo

Hmm..I don't know why is not working like that! Try this: http://hunderttausend.de/home/startpage.aspx

by flyingscot4

I have stayed in Trier on several occasions. If you go to www.jugendherberge.de you will find the International Hostelling hostel in Trier. IH is a group of over 4,000 hostels worldwide. Google "hostels" and you will get the sites of different Independent Hostels. Germany has over 600 hostels, and many of them allow longer stays. Last thought... Easy Palace Hostel in Munich allows longer stays. They are one of the Independent Hostels and may know of something available in Trier. www.easypalace.de Good luck and enjoy Trier. It is a wonderful city.

by Michaed34

Thank you everyone! Your advice has been very helpful. I will definitely be looking around these sites to see what I can work with : )

Travel Tips for Trier

The Main Church

by sargentjeff

The Cathedral is beautiful, and I haven't been to a church before that allowed visitors so much access to the sites within. It was nice to get out of the cold. The present Cathedral stands on top of a former Constantinian Palace. After Constantine's last visit to Trier in A.D. 328/9, the palace was leveled in 330 and replaced by the largest Christian church in Antiquity, about four times as big as the present-day church and covering the area of the Cathedral and the Church of Our Lady, the Cathedral Square, the adjoining garden, and the houses almost up to the market.

Today's Cathedral still contains a Roman central section with the original walls rising up to a height of 26 m (86 ft). The huge fragment of a granite column next to the entrance to the Cathedral is another indication of the Roman origin of the building. After destructions in the 5th and 9th centuries, the remaining nucleus was enlarged by Romanesque additions - today, the Cathedral, with its three crypts, its cloister, Cathedral Treasury, and Holy Robe Chapel, displays architecture and artwork from more than 1650 years.

Go to the Porta Nigra A Roman...

by houba

Go to the Porta Nigra A Roman port from the second century. It is the only big part of the wall surrounding the ancient city wich has survived.
Another part is the Arena /amphitheatre, which was admitted in the later build wall, and wich was also used as a port to the city

German military tricks

by kokoryko

Just a funny surprise when I arrived at Trier; looking around, trying to find my way in the city, I picked out this tower (main picture), and thought I arrived in the old city centre. . . . . . . It was close to the city hall, (picture 3) so, in normal cities close to the centre; but when I had a closer look to the tower I scratched my head, discovering the concrete in the building and noticing most of the building was concrete. . . . . Locals nearby, whom I asked for directions, explained me that the tower was not exactly historic: it has been built during WWII. It was a blockhouse, disguised as a medieval building, in order to avoid Allies bombing of the area, and to hide anti aerial defence cannons. So, the militaries built old style shaped blockhouses, but with “modern” concrete. I fell in the pitfall, like, may be the pilots from the allied air forces. . . . .
Well, local custom, but a custom from the past. . . . . . .

Hiking - One huge achaeological site.

by Jerelis

Most people try to rush Trier on a budget so they end up missing some of the highlights in a whirlwind. The key to seeing Trier properly is a game plan, you must know what you want to see before setting out. Before we visited Trier we saw on a city map that the ancient town of Trier can be divided into three areas - the historical old town, the area near the Moselle River and the residential area around the amphitheatre. We visited the city several times, every time we hiked our way through one of the areas.

Our first hike was the old town where the city is one huge archaeological site which received the UNESCO World Heritage designation in the year 1986. It was quite strenious sometimes, but definately worth while! We started at Porta Nigra, made our way to the Main square and finally hiked way down until it ended at the Trier Cathedral, a Roman Catholic church which dates back to Roman times and is home to the Holy Tunic, a garment with a recorded history back to the 12th century. While most tour guides don't recommend getting lost in the alley´s, this part of Trier is the place to get hopelessly lost for half a day. We wondered off through mysterious and steep alleyways leading us away from the crowds. We ended up at the church of St. Paulin, mazes of hilly backstreets and deserted gardens. The real Trier?

Spielzeug-Museum

by Polly74

The Toy Museum (Spielzeug-Museum) in Nagelstrasse is the most recent among the Trier museums, the display of an immense private collection. Mechanical toys, armies of tin soldiers, dolls, stuffed animals, toys from the Third Reich, a complete zoo, wind-up and electric trains, etc.

The adults are at least as fascinated as the children when, in a time warp, they see their own past presented as the present.

Spielzeug-Museum Trier, Jakobstrasse 4, 54290 Trier, Germany