Nells Park Hotel Trier

Entrance to St Gangolph'sEntrance to St Gangolph's

Area behind the ChurchesArea behind the Churches

Waterfall location?

by Riverview

Where is the picture of a waterfall with iron bridge taken?

by leics

I assume you have seen the photo on VT?

If so, it's probably a good idea to email the member who posted it. He or she will be able to tell you exactly where he/she stood! Click on the 'See xx'x Trier page' link (if it's a Trier tip) and then the 'email me' link under their personal photo. If it's on their Trier page, the email link is in the same place.

by HansDK

Could it be this waterfall in Saarburg - 25 km southwest of Trier?

by Riverview

The photo was posted on the Trier page so I assumed the photo was taken somewhere in that town.

by Sjalen

It probably is around Trier but as said, check who had put it on the Trier page and ask that person (or check his/her particular Trier page where it might well be included in a tip). :)

by Riverview

Thanks for the post. I'm new to this forum and am not quite sure how to navigate the site. Hopefully, I'll learn soon.

by Sjalen

I'm sure you will - welcome!

by Riverview

The photo was posted on the Trier site so I assumed it was taken there. I will e-mail the person who posted it. Thanks for your response. Your travel page was lovely. We have visited many of the same places (and I am a gardener too).My husband worked for Bostik in the US and we visited Leicester many times. I enjoyed the Roman ruins and the cemetary in the central town.

by Riverview

Thanks to all who posted. The photo actually appeared in the Trier Travel Guide. I will be going there in early May and was looking for a photo op.

by leics

The Trtier travel guide photos are all posted by individual members.

All VT content (photos and text) is posted by members, whether locals or visitors.

I didn't notice a waterfall photo when I had a quick look at the Trier travel guide this morning....photos rotate at random.

You'll need to check the Trier tips and pages to find the waterfall photo, then you can contact the member who posted it.

Travel Tips for Trier

Porta Nigra

by Skipka

Porta Nigra is the real prove of Roman settlement in the town such as Church of Our Lady and other artifacts. Trier is the oldest town in Germany thanks to Roman settlement. And why Porta Nigra? :) Should guess... of course it is black but I don't think so it is dirty :) It is the largest surviving Roman city gate worldwide. Of course, also UNESCO passed by and added it to the list of World Cultural Heritage. It is built by massive sandstone blocks (weight about 6 tons) held together not by mortar but by iron clamps embedded in lead. First it was the gate to the town and later it was turned to double church St. Simeon (around years 1036-1804). St. Simeon was Greek hermit who lived walled up inside.
If you want to have a nice view you should climb there but not for free :) I suppose it was around 3 euro to get there.

Karl Marx Haus

by sargentjeff

We walked around the city quite a bit to find this place, and with the help of the map which I lost finally found it. Karl Marx was born in Trier, which at that time (May 5, 1818) had fewer than 10,000 inhabitants.

Talk to someone who knows ...

by Jerelis

I guess we all agree on this on; there is nothing more exciting than going travelling - exploring another country, experiencing a different culture, travelling around in new ways, sampling the local cuisine and chatting to the local people for a different perspective on life.

However during our travels we learned that there is one certain thing that you should be aware of and prepared for to make sure that the trip is as easy and enjoyable as possible. We always try to see everything once we're there, but this is not always an act of responsible travelling. We always talk to thIe locals and we know that they have the information about just the right spots to visit and how to undertake them. It will not only enhance your experiences but also avoid any unnecessary hassles.

For us the travel tips we have written in this section made the most of our travel experience and we came home in the same happy, healthy state that we left.

Eintracht Trier

by CliffClaven

It may not be one of Europe's footballing shrines but the 16000 capacity Moselstadion beside the river attracts a handful of staunch fans to Eintracht Trier's home games in the German regional league. Every so often the club manages to draw one of the big names in a German cup tie. It helps the club's finances but invariably signals the end of involvement in the cup. Bundesliga status? Don't hold your breath!

Hiking - Do take time to meander!

by Jerelis

Take time to meander - losing yourself in the maze of alleys, streets and lanes is one of the ancient town´s principal pleasures. The streets wind and wander with no discerrible order or object. We rewarded ourselves with a cool cup of gelato for our effort! But you won´t do justice to the entire city of Trier whenever you won´t visit other parts. So ... do meander, because the cluster of sights around the Hauptmarkt, main square, and the Moselle River are hearthclutchingly beautiful, and the more secret pleasures of the hushed backstreets are just entrancing.

There are trully more than enough vibrant cultural scenes to see, like the ruins of the amphitheatre and for example the St. Gangolf Church. Via the old roman baths, Palace of Trier, with its beautiful garden, we ended up at the Hauptmarkt (the main square) again, which is probably the most important square of Trier. This public square has served as Trier's main marketplace since medieval times. It lead to a great viewing point to overview the Porta Nigra. All this may seem very though as finding your way in Trier might be difficult, but in really distances are short and the signs will help you in getting around. Enjoy! Have a look at Trierer Packing List.

Comments