Parkhotel Prinz Carl

More about Worms

Aurum, Worms - Mythos braceletAurum, Worms - Mythos bracelet

Old headstonesOld headstones

Worms, Rhine promenadeWorms, Rhine promenade

Illuminated mandrel in "Sehturm"Illuminated mandrel in "Sehturm"

Frankfurt to Worms

by Gili_S

How do I get by public transport to Worms from Frankfurt Airport?
Any additional good tips for Worms are welcome.

by chicabonita

Do you spend holidays in Worms?!? :-))) I think there are some things to visit but even if Worms is only about 30 minutes by car away from my hometown I can't give you tips. You can get to Worms by public transport. Look on www.bahn.de there are the train schedules. I guess it takes round about 90 minutes. Have a nice stay in Worms.

Thanks Barbara
I’m sure I can spend almost as much time in Worms as in Frankfurt, it is not the size that matter. LOL.

And Jarkko, I’m surprised of you, as someone with international blood in you, have you forgotten that not all the world in English?
How about places names like “Valkeakoski” or “Pieksämäki”. Just from hearing those names people are laughing.
And, by the way, in Austria they have village name “f.u.c.k.i.n.g.” You can search and find it here on VT too.

Oh, Yobert, I’m so sorry, you have to travel so far for ’f’ & climax LOL

by Gili_S

I would go, if they let me in.

by Nykaenen

Yubert, did you know that I have a standing invitation for F******? I hear they have some of the best x-country tracks in that area :-))

by Nykaenen

Sure, just let me know of your preferences :-))

Btw, pitty you're not a snow person, we could visit at the same time!?!

Nykänen

by Gili_S

Yubert, don’t get nervous in presence of girls, your spelling is horrible.

Re: Re: Nykänen

by Gili_S

yes, working is the best part:)

by Nykaenen

Good! I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I will :-))

by Nykaenen

Good! I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as me :-))

Nykänen,
you post it twice, is that one for Yubert and one for me?

by IngaA

Zdenka, how could you keep your standing invitation as a secret... that's unhumanly towards our friend Yubert.
This famous place in Austria is one of his dream destinations, he's making so big advertising campaign to it...
Yubert, do u realise how lucky u r ?

:))

by Nykaenen

Yubert, I'm into many things, ski jumping is just one of them. True, most of them have to do with snow :-)))

Gil, would you like to join us in F*****?

by IngaA

Yubert, don't worry, for ski jumping it is not a problem,
:))

by Gili_S

But I will be in Worms.......

by Nykaenen

Yubert, what exactly are you talking about? I, for sure, am talking about x/c skiing and from my experience, the more people, the better fun!
I know Gil does x/c and I'm sure he'll back up my statement :-))

Vielen Dank Wal,
Finally I get a good answer here after all this nonsense :)

by Gili_S

Yes, I know, I know a bit about the place and I'm not worried, I just thought that instead of spending another day or two in a big city (Frankfurt) I can go to smaller place for a change,

by Nykaenen

Now Gil, we were just trying to keep you amused while you were waiting for some good advice. And this is how you thank us!!!
Next time we'll just leave you sit and wait and be bored :-))

Finally I get a good answer here after all this nonsense :)

by Gili_S

Thanks Wal, I guess I will visit those other places too with the time.

Nykänen, you know I enjoy it every moment with you and Yubert, it's all part of the fun here on VT.:)))

by Nykaenen

I see, you're not going there for business... In that case, how about Zagreb? There should be 4 flights each day Frankfurt-Zagreb...

by Gili_S

ha ha, take me to Zagreb with the price of Worms and I'll get there too :)))

by tessy

There should be a train, I think. But perhaps it is nicer to rent a car at the airport. Worms is just between Franfurt and Ludwigshafen/Mannheim, there are lots of beautiful little villages around. It's a wine region (Rheinhessen), there are lots of places offering wine tastings ... Depending on when you wanna visit Worms, there are also lots of wine festivals in that region.
I never visited Worms as a tourist, but I visited once the big church. They have a new museum there, called Nibelungen Museum, which is on my list to visit! As far as I know they have a jazz festival there in the end of may or in juin.
I can ask friends for more informations, if you want
tessy

by Gili_S

Thanks for the nice tips. I think renting a car wouldn’t be so practical if I want to taste the wines & the beers. (Les if I’ll get a nice driver with it) This area seems to have lots of things to do and see.

by tessy

Forgot to tell you, that there are also some kind of taxis driving from the places in the region to the airport and fetching people there.
When do you plan to visit Worms?

by Gili_S

No schedule set yet, I’m frequent in the area, so I’m just gathering information.

by Gili_S

Actually some Arab countries like Egypt & Jordan are welcoming me more then Russia, they don’t ask me to book hotel from advance on 250.-$ a night, no special additional health insurance etc. I can even get the visas at the border. The Russians are not able yet to provide this kind of service for tourists. When I can just drive my car across the border to St. Petersburg, I will do that, till then, I only drive my car to the airport, the harbour or going north.

by Gili_S

I have friends and I’m sure I can arrange invitation, but you know, getting used to just buy ticket or drive through spontaneously is one of the great thing in travelling. But I know I will visit Russia sooner or later, or let say, it just a matter of time.
About the Palestinian issue, yes, it is complicated, I think as long as radical groups are dominating, will be hard to create peaceful situation there and no one want to have a terrorist authority, but peaceful independent & democratic country.

by Gili_S

Thank you very much, this is very helpful tip and I guess the S bahn will be fast enough for me and I will follow your advice.

by Nykaenen

Sorry Gil, I should have been more careful and advise the same. There's no point in going to Frankfurt hauptbanhof, just take S8.

>>Information overload? :-)

Not at all, it's all brilliant thanks.
I will go only for a weekend, so there will be no real luggage and I certainly not going to run anyway, I surely will stop in Mainz for more then 3 minutes, will see a bit around, will drink café latte or beer (or both) and take the train to Worms later.
But now my question is: Can I buy one ticket ant stop on the way for few hours before continuing, or, will I need to buy ticket to Mainz and then another one Worms?

by Gili_S

Thanks again. You are very helpful, can I ask also for a good weather? LOL.

by Gili_S

Ha ha, :) Can I get there is 2 –2.5 hours from Helsinki? (time to fly to Frankfurt)
I heard Concorde services will be stopped soon, maybe it will be cheap to lease one of those old jets.

Travel Tips for Worms

How Worms got its name – Joan was right

by Trekki

Haha, now this has a bit of VT history. The name of this city is Worms, and of course, Worms always meant Worms city for me, the city I grew up close to. When I was starting to write about Worms, Joan (scottishvisitor) dropped me a comment saying something about wiggling. It took me some time to realize what she meant and then I just could not stop laughing…. I never ever connected the name of the city to these little animals - one worm, more worms. And then, while reading in a little book about the city, I nearly fell of the chair from laughing and now I know, Joan was right in the beginning – Worms and worm(s) is not that far away from the meaning – lol.

So let me tell you the story I just learnt (and thanks to Fritz Reuter for writing about it in the little fascinating book about Worms’ gems):
Originally, the city was called Borbetomagus, a Celtic word meaning village in water-rich region (photo 1, from the Cathedral’s picture window). This adapted to Wormatia in Latin and became Worms later. Well, but for every official explanation there is always another one in form of a legend, which of course does sound way more interesting.
For Worms it is this one:
A beautiful young girl was captured by a dragon and everyone trying to rescue her ended up as yummie dragon lunch (or dinner, depending on the dragon’s sleeping habit). Finally a young and of course also beautiful blacksmith decided to put an end to all that dragon food. He made himself a steel jacket covered with sharp knives and went to say hello to the dragon. As expected, the hungry dragon ate him at once – but….. choked of course from all these knives – and sadly puffed out his last breath, erm… fire cloud. The brave blacksmith married the girl and they lived happily after at a place they named after the gruesome dragon, or worm (German name Wurm). Now Worms’ locals dialect transformed this into Worms, as Wurm is pronounced Worm in Worms’ dialect.
And voila :-)
Since then, the dragon is part of Worms’ coat of arms, at least on the one at the city’s town hall (see photo 2). And more worms = dragons, as the one sitting on top of the winegrowers' fountain, happily eating grapes (and not princesses).

... and the queens dispute

by Trekki

So far, the only additional pictures I took connecting Worms and Nibelungenlied are ones about the dispute of the queens.
After Siegfried married Kriemhild and Gunther married Brünhild, the girls were in constant quarrels. It finally leadt to the dispute whose husband had more class, thus who of the queens would be the one to enter the Cathedral first. Kriemhild, in her jealousy of Brünhild, told her about Siegfrieds deeds (that he and not Gunther conquered her in Iceland). This dispute took place at the entrance to the Cathedral; that’s why the northern portal is called Kaiserportal (emperor portal).

The other picture is of a very much modern little sculpture just 100 m off the eastern part of the Cathedral, obviously also showing the two queens in their quarrel. But unfortunately, no sign tells about this, so I can only assume that Brünhild is the one on the left and Kriemhild on the right.

If you want to learn more about the beginnings of Siegfried, check what Simone wrote about the northern version of Sigurd on her Sundby page (starting from tip 5 on).

Bergkirche inside – plain but beautiful

by Trekki

Inside, Bergkirche is very simple, but has a lot of serene atmosphere when the sun shines through the windows and paints shadows on the floor. The windows still have the old ornaments painted around them (photo 3). On the gallery, I found a beautiful old organ, but learnt that only the outer shell is still from 1781, made by the famous local organ builder Johann Georg Linck. The gallery itself is made of wood and beautifully painted (sorry, no photo, as I am limited to 5, lol).

I already mentioned the crypt, which is amazing to visit. It is very tiny, maybe only 3 x 3 m, but has been restored and is simple as well – plain white walls and pink sandstone pillars (photo 5). On Worms website I also found a fascinating story of how the crypt was rediscovered: 3 kids were playing hide and seek in 1930 and found a hole, which was almost covered with grass. Curious as kids are, they inspected it more closely as (as almost every kids of that age), they were dreaming of a treasure behind it, below the church. So they went inside, or more fell inside and discovered the crypt room.

Inside the church again, the baptistery is also an interesting piece of work. It is quite new, of 1985, made by Verena Schubert-Andres, a sculptor of Frankenthal. The upper part has originally been from an oil mill, but the pedestal was carved by her. It is a very serene sight, when the light paints shadows around it (photo 4).

(Thanks to Detlev Johannes for telling about the crypt discovery on Worms website).

Luther Denkmal

by antistar

Heading from the train station this is likely to be one of the first sights of the town that you will see. It is dedicated to the memory of Martin Luther, a man that the Diet of Worms outlawed because of his attempts to reform the church. In 1521 Luther marched on Worms, when Emperor Charles V called on him to retract his writings. Luther refused, he was a fugitive, but his popularity meant that by 1527 the Reformation was introduced in the very city where Luther had been condemned for preaching it. The monument itself was built in 1868.

The Nibelungen Museum

by wroclawiak

I would highly recommend the visit of this museum before seeing the town. Worms is often called the Nibelungentown. Before coming to Worms get acquainted with the Nibelungen myth. You will meet a lot of places connected with the Nibelungen. If you don't know anything about the Nibelungen myth you won't understand the history of the town and the meanings of some places.

The museum is very interesting but don't expect too much from the multimedia show.
Nice views from the museum tower.
For a detailed sightseeing you need more than two hours.

Comments