Am Mühlfeld 1, Dippoldiswalde, 1744, de
Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Dippoldiswalde

he knows who's been good:  the angelshe knows who's been good: the angels

he knows who's been naughtyhe knows who's been naughty

D enjoying her first family Christmas in two yearsD enjoying her first family Christmas in two years

Susie & D glowSusie & D glow

Travel Tips for Dippoldiswalde

the luckiest man in the world

by richiecdisc

Well, it used to be that it was so off the beaten path but I guess now I guess it's getting married there! Most of my friends thought I’d never get married so when I did quite unexpectedly even to me, it came as a bit of a shock to the cynics who perhaps scrambled for possible explanations for the phenomenon before them. It was a rushed affair only attended by my closest family members and my choice for a life partner just happened to be a non-US resident so you might imagine their conclusions. That she was much younger and quite beautiful surely fueled the fire. That she was also the kindest and sweetest woman I’d ever met most likely escaped them. So, we had another wedding three months later where we dressed more appropriately and threw a bash to more fittingly celebrate the occasion. This was all fine and dandy except one thing, my beloved’s family and friends aside from her sister could not attend. Since it was a restaging of the real wedding, we were pretty relaxed about the whole affair and perhaps because of that didn’t expect much. As it turned out, it was my favorite wedding party ever and I’ve been to some great ones but that was only part of the story. I was totally unprepared for how I would feel when my already wife entered the room to formally give her hand to me. It was a mere formality as we were legally wed but with the strains of Simon & Garfunkle’s Scarborough Fair filling the room, an angel stood before not only me but my amassed family and friends. Stunning is a weak word that only begins to describe the physical effect of how she looked. With a wreath of flowers in her hair, her aura was that of a fairy and her slow entrance timed to the music playing only added to the impression that she was somehow floating as she traversed what now seemed the ocean between us. Whatever lingering questions remained about how or why I got married instantaneously disappeared. The planning and work we’d put into putting this reenactment suddenly was all worthwhile. I felt as every man about to be married should feel: the luckiest man in the world.

a fairy tale come true

by richiecdisc

All seemed perfect but of course something very important was missing so it was only natural as time passed that we talked about another wedding ceremony to be performed in Germany for the rest of what was now our family. It would be tough to top what we’d accomplished in Florida so we didn’t even attempt it. We set out to do something entirely different. First, we’d get married in a church rather than in a social room where the first party was. Though neither of us is particularly religious, some in her family are and with a beautiful romantic church waiting for us, it sounded like the perfect way to distinguish our next wedding day. Trying to top the party we had in Ft. Lauderdale would have been nearly impossible so again we opted for going in an entirely different direction. Our first wedding party was a self-made masterpiece. We made all of the food, did the decorations, and even made music CDs. It was no wonder we had such a great time since with so much control everything was just as we wanted. But with such control comes a lot of responsibility and only with great energy can you not only pull it off but manage to enjoy it as well. So, the Germany party started as a mere dinner in a restaurant. The only thing that I cared about in the choice was what type of beer they had on tap. We had something right in town picked when we remembered a brewery my father-in-law had told us about a year earlier that was situated in one of our favorite Saxon castles. We hadn’t been able to find it on our first attempt but decided to check on the Internet to confirm or rule out its existence. As soon as we found its webpage with the majestic castle prominently displayed our special day began to take form as if by some power beyond our control. There was a medieval festival right around the time we’d be in Germany and that sounded like the perfect platform for my fairly-like wife. That it was a long weekend made it easier for friends to come and make a trip out of it.

the perfect venue, the perfect wife

by richiecdisc

The church and reception was booked within a few weeks all on the Internet but we didn’t get everything ironed out until we arrived a couple months later. The church part was easy as I just had to go in to meet the father who would perform the ceremony. The brewery needed to be checked out but that’s surely not a task I dread in the least. We took the winding drive over there and both of us questioned our sanity in making our wedding guests jump through such hoops but once we rounded the bend and saw Castle Weesenstein before us, there was no question that not only would this be the perfect venue but that this would indeed be a very special day. The brewery pub was fun as the brewmaster put on a show, playing bagpipes, singing and telling bad German jokes. The beer was excellent and food certainly acceptable. We spoke with him after we ate and he explained that the pub itself would be very crowded during the medieval festival but that he could put us down in the cave-like cellar where the beer was stored. He took us down into the dark and cool room, and though it was not as cozy as the pub, it would have to do. Of course, when everyone heard that the reception was in an authentic German beer cellar everyone wondered how I talked my more than understanding wife into it.

thanking the higher powers

by richiecdisc

The days leading up to the wedding went by quickly. Not only would all of Doreen’s family and most of her friends be coming to the wedding, but a small contingent of our VT friends would attend as well. So, we were out entertaining and showing off the area to them as well as preparing for the big day which arrived all too soon. The next thing I knew I was standing in this incredible centuries-old church awaiting my fairy. Though I had envisioned the setting time and again, I was a bit overwhelmed now that I stood at the center of it. As mentioned, I am not a particularly religious person but have always enjoyed visiting the beautiful churches when in Europe. In those moments I can understand the concept of devotion more clearly but now that I was to be married in such a hallowed hall, it seemed a mere intellectual exercise to not give into allowing the feeling to engulf me. Once the organist began playing, nervousness either dissipated or kicked into a higher gear. I can’t say which but all I knew is I felt different. My fairy came down the isle and I thanked the higher powers for not only delivering her but perhaps more importantly, for allowing me to realize she was there.

how well can you work together?

by richiecdisc

This is much cooler than cutting the wedding cake. You have to saw through some wood. If you do well, you're marriage will last I presume. We did pretty well but the marriage is going a whole lot better!

Comments