Hotel Burgk

Burgkstrasse 15, Dresden, Saxony, 01159, Germany
Burgk
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Dresden

altar, only partially restoredaltar, only partially restored

dish at Schillergartendish at Schillergarten

Bus and tram departure information - PostplatzBus and tram departure information - Postplatz

Kathedrale St. Trinitatis - DresdenKathedrale St. Trinitatis - Dresden

the nearest bus station to Bastei

Hello,

I am planning to visit Bastei next week. I'd like to take a bus from Prina to Bastei, I believe No.237 is right.....but I have no idea where/which bus station is the best to get Bastei Bridge. ( there is Bastei and Abzweig zur Bastei, some buses don't stop at Bastei) Could anybody help me?

Also, there is another route(walking) from Kurort Rathen, is it easier? I have to go back to Dresden after Bastei.

Thank you.

RE: the nearest bus station to Bastei

by vtveen

Perhaps it is better to take the train from Pirna to Rathen.
In Rathen take the (small) passenger ferry across the Elbe and start your walk to the Bastei; very nice walk and impressive scenery and great views from soem look outs.
See for more info and pics my Land Sachsen page.

Happy travels
Jaap

by vtveen

oops...forgot, for public transportation around Pirna take a look at: http://www.vss-pirna.de/auswahl/reg2002.htm

RE: the nearest bus station to Bastei

by abalada

> there is Bastei and Abzweig zur Bastei, some buses don't stop at Bastei
Closest bus stop is "Bastei". "Abzweig zur Bastei" is the point where the branch street to the Bastei begins.

by bookaholic

Thank you for the quick reply!

I might take Kurort Rathen route.....thank you. I thought it would be nice if I take a short walk in Pirna.

One more question....

Are there any specail train/bus tickets that cover Dresden city and Saxon Switzland area? I'll spend 2 days in Saxony. ( from Berlin)

with many thanks:
Y

by abalada

Best will be to buy a day ticket for 2 tarif zones (10 + 70). EUR 7,00.
Bastei or Kurort Rathen - despite already in further zones - count still to zone 70 (this is defined by the blue half circles).
The VVO covers a lot types of local public transport - but the ferry in Rathen is not covered.

by vtveen

There is also a so called 'Sächsische-Schweiz-Card', which allows you to travel free on 2 days in Dresden and the saxony Swiss:

Tnank you!!!
I really appriciate....
I can't wait!

Just one more question:
Where do you recommend to stay? I'd like to stay in a hotel/pension in somewhere in Saxon Switzland area. I start worring about accomodations as I found many hotels 're already occupied in Dresden. It must be busy time....Is it easy to make a reservation @ Infomation in Dresden for Saxon Switzland's hotels? Which town do you recommend ?

Thank you.
Y

by vtveen

If you can not get acommodation in Dresden, I would recommend one of the smaller towns along the River Elbe between Pirna and Königstein or Bad Schandau. You will be able to visit both Bastei and Dresden by train (or bus).

We had a private room in Königstein, but rather far away from the railway station, not suitable if you don't have a car.

jaap

Travel Tips for Dresden

the glowing Frauenkirche was calling

by richiecdisc

I walked around the lake looking for the perfect angle never meaning to go further but as I did I found myself heading towards the Zwinger itself and found it basking in warm hues. I found myself in the Zwinger, on the upper levels of the Zwinger snapping away in no time. From that vantage point I noticed the Frauenkirche starting to glow and reasoned it wasn’t too far either. I made my way over there and found it in a light I’d never seen before, warm and glorious. I snapped away and made my way back via the river to the place I was let off. As I got close I saw D’s mother searching frantically for me and soon she was reprimanding me not so much for taking so long but for not bringing my jacket. She didn’t realize that wearing a hat and many layers of thermals I was certainly much warmer than her! Back at the car she calmed down and surprisingly my wife was not upset. She knew me well and could tell by my smiling face I had gotten what I wanted. She slyly asked if I’d gotten some good photos. She knew I had but I still said yes, oh, and thank you. After seeing the photos that night, she said thank you too. I had finally captured her city, something to help keep it in her heart when apart.

Feldschlossen

by richiecdisc

Feldschlossden is Dresden's big brewery and though not impressed with their Pils, they are linked to brewing giant Holstein and hence, you can get the tasty Duckstein locally. This hot air balloon happened to take off as we walked along the Elbe River one day as the sun set.

Palace of Culture

by Nemorino

The Kulturpalast in the center of Dresden, just across from the Old Market Place (Altmarkt) was built in 1969 in the heyday of the German Democratic Republic (GDR).

It is a typical GDR building, not terribly attractive but practical and egalitarian. One of the current issues in Dresden politics is whether it should be demolished or preserved.

The Kulturpalast is the home of the Dresden Philharmonic Orchestra (you can see the Dresdner Philharmonie banner if you enlarge the photo) and is an important venue for musical and cultural events of all sorts, including the Dresden Music Festival, the Dresden Kammeroper (Chamber Opera) and an international Dixieland Jazz Festival.

Paddle Steamers

by german_eagle

A very enjoyable way to get around Dresden is to do a trip by one of the old paddle steamers on the Elbe river.

The central departure station is located right in front of Brühl's Terrace on the left bank of the river (old town) in the city centre. Another station is in Blasewitz at the restaurant Schillergarten. Boats run in both directions, up- and downstream. Upstream the ride goes as far as Bad Schandau in Saxon Switzerland, downstream beyond Meißen, as far as Diesbar-Seußlitz (vineyards!). There are also steamers that only run to Schloss Pillnitz and back, or that go to Pirna.

Summer season with frequent connections starts early April and ends late Oct. Special events like steamer parade (May 1 and during City Festival/Stadtfest in August) and Riverboat Shuffle (during Jazz Festival in May) are always favourites of both locals and tourists. Reservations far in advance for these events are a must.

great dining in a palais

by globetrott about Coselpalais Grandcafe & Restaurant

When you are looking for a really special place for your festivities or maybe you want to celebrate a special event, Coselpalais might be your best choice !
Palais Cosel dates back to 1744, but it was destroyed and rebuilt again in 1760 by Carl Friedrich August von Cosel ( son of August the strong and countess Cosel, who was held in prison for 49 years in castle Stolpen).
The fully restored building of today is mainly used for bureaus, but the Coselpalais Grandcafe & Restaurant has a really beautiful garden-restaurant in the innercourt, a lovely foyer and a big hall used for special festivities .
They have a big menu of fine specialities !
Coselpalais Grandcafe & Restaurant
is open daily 10.00a.m. - 01.00a.m. I spent several days in Dresden in summer 2004 and so I had some coffee and cake there one day, as for dinner and lunch prices are higher than normally and as a single traveller it is always hard to get a table just for my own in a place like this.

Comments