Hotel Bon-Apart

Hotel Bon-Apart
Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

More about Görlitz

Chapel of the CrossChapel of the Cross

Jesus Bakery and station of the Way of the CrossJesus Bakery and station of the Way of the Cross

Church of St Peter and Paul, vaultsChurch of St Peter and Paul, vaults

Restoration works on the stucco ceilingsRestoration works on the stucco ceilings

Travel Tips for Görlitz

the things you never planned on are sometimes best

by richiecdisc

Görlitz is perfect for walking. The city center if very compact but full of a fantastic array of architectural styles with gothic, renaissance, baroque, and art nouveau all well represented. One particular thing of interest are the innumerable doorways that line the cobblestone streets. Travel can bring you to exotic places, that is for sure but it can also bring you to places you never planned on going. Sometimes they are the best experiences as you have no expectations to let you down and by doing something someone else suggests you are not only giving over control but showing faith that something more important than your opinion exists.

And so it came to be that instead of a return trip to personal favorite Meissen (and a fantastic little restaurant serving up the local brewery’s entire lineup), I opted to go along with my father-in-laws plans to take us to Görlitz. The day started inauspiciously enough due to my being quite hung over from the previous day’s wedding. Since it was my very own, I had no one to blame but myself and the enjoyment I had more than made up for the queasy feeling made worse with every unexpected turn en route. We first had to pick up some wedding guests who also gave up a day to Meissen in favor of enjoying our company. Sandy and Dave turned out to be even better sports about the whole thing than me. Of course, they were also in much better shape than me with regard to adverse effects from the previous night’s consumption.

(concluded below in Fondest Memory)

Post office

by yumyum

The main post office in Goerlitz on the post square is quite an eyesight. Inside it's rather modern but the facade is worth a look.

To the left of the post office is the bus stop for the bus to Zgorzelec.

There is another post office next to the railway station but without public service. But take a look at the iron work of the windows.

Görlitz-Information & Tourist-Centre

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Görlitz-Information & Tourist-Centre will assist you in planning your travel and your stay with extensive services.
Services:
Tourist information service
Hotel and accommodation service
Classic guided tours and sightseeing tours
Package offers for individual travelers and groups
Day trips and travel programmes in the border triangle
Sale of concert and event tickets
Sale of souvenirs
Booking of congress and conference rooms and compilation of event-related social and cultural programmes
Görlitz-Information, Obermarkt 32

Season opening hours:
Monday - Friday: 9.00 am - 7.00 pm Saturday/Sunday/bank holiday: 9.00 am - 6.00 pm
Low season opening hours (November 2nd - March 29th):
Monday - Friday: 9.00 am - 6.00 pm Saturday: 9.30 am - 4.00 pm Sunday/bank holiday: 9.30 - 2.00 pm

Whisper Portal

by german_eagle

A special architecture is reason for a special experience: If you whisper some words on one side of the portal an other person can hear that clearly on the other side. Perfect acoustics!

Can be good for a romantic moment with your sweetheart :-)

Location: Untermarkt square, northern front.

good friends and their cameras

by richiecdisc

Thanks to Sandy and Dave for letting me use their "extra" digital camera since I currently do not have one. They wound up sharing their other one so I know it was a very nice gesture and one that put them out a bit. I enjoyed my first try with a digital and sure I'll be converted as soon as I can afford the one I want!

Comments