Gothisches Haus

german_eagle's Profile Photo

Perfect upscale getaway

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 14, 2010

The 4star+ hotel, part of the Travel Charme hotel 'chain' occupies three buildings on the western side of the Markt square. One is the so called "Gothisches Haus", built 1480 and reconstructed 1544, the other two buildings modern additions in corresponding style.

The architecture is a mix of old and new, very tasteful and as the name indicates, very charming. We had standard rooms to the (usually) quiet courtyard. The room size was decent, not overly large, though. My room had the usual amenities you would expect in a 4star hotel. A/C was not necessary in April. From my room I had view of the Brocken mountain. Bathroom was quite large, with a shower (no tub).

Parking was in the garage that belongs to the hotel - quite expensive, I might say. 12 Euro per day.

Free internet access at a computer in the lobby. I think WLAN access in the room is not free, but not sure.

Their spa is very nice. Hot tub, steam bath, two saunas, relaxing area. They also offer spa treatments which I didn't have interest in, but I used the gym which was pretty good.

We had booked their special offer stay 3, pay 2 nights including half-board (breakfast buffet and four-course dinner).

Unique Quality: First of all, the service was outstanding. Very friendly, attentive, they went out of their way to please their guests.

Breakfast buffet was one of the best I've ever had. The vast choice of cereals was a pleasant suprise (not just cornflakes, *real* grain and flakes), also the choice of fruits, both fresh and dried. I don't need to mention the rest, eh? Just want to point out that the salmon was excellent, ditto the scrambled eggs, coffee and tea.

Dinner was delicious. Appetizer, soup, main course (three choices) and dessert (or you choose fruits, cheese or sorbet/ice cream instead). Wine selection was excellent also. More on that in my restaurant tips.

Directions: right next to the town hall on the Market square.

Nearby Gothisches Haus

• Suites
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge

Wernigerode Travel Forum

Need advice about Wernigerode, Germany? Visit the Travel Forum for Wernigerode and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Wernigerode hotel reviews