Castle - the garden(s)
There are actually two gardens that belong(ed) to the castle: One, called 'Lustgarten' and located at the foot of the castle hill close to the town, was created in the 16th century, then re-designed as a formal Baroque garden in the early 18th century but in 1752 it was re-designed in English style (financial reasons). The two remaining buildings from previous centuries are: The Orangerie (built 1713-19) that served as a greenhouse for tropical plants until 1787 but was used as library of the Counts of Wernigerode from 1826 on. It was severely damaged in 1944 and houses now the town's archive. The other building is the Marstall, once stables and garage for the carriages.
The other garden is the small but beautiful formal garden that stretches over a couple of terraces below the entrance to the castle and the restaurant Schlossterrassen. It is a very pleasant place to escape the crowds and enjoy the views of the Harz mountains while listening to the gurgling fountain.