Am Sudstrand 21, Helgoland, Schleswig-Holstein, 27498, Germany

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Helgoland

Ships anchored at HelgolandShips anchored at Helgoland

View From Upper HelgolandView From Upper Helgoland

One of several duty free shops, HelgolandOne of several duty free shops, Helgoland

View on Duene, HelgolandView on Duene, Helgoland

Travel Tips for Helgoland

Helgoland in the off-season

by 78Eva

I spent two weeks on the island of Helgoland, and was almost declared crazy over that. After all, the island lies far out in the north sea and is tiny, only about one square kilometre, i.e. you can walk around the entire island in an hour. Also, I went in early spring, when there were hardly any tourists around.
I was glad I went. I love islands, and have a liking for remote little places (my dream is still Pitcairn Island!) and I totally enjoyed myself.
My sister and I stayed in a small, very cosy B&B, mainly read books and went for very long very wind-blown walks around the island, and the little side island (even smaller) that consists only of sand. It was one of the few times in my life when I immensely enjoyed getting up early early in the morning and go outside. The sun-rises were amazing, the air fresh, and I met fishermen that would greet me with a friendly "Good morning".
The island is entirely out of very red rock and rises high out of the sea. You get there by taking the ferry from Cuxhaven (many people got seasick during the trip which lasted for about three hours). I think during the summer months the island is flooded by day tourists who go there for duty-free shopping etc. But in spring or autumn you have it almost to yourself and if you're looking for a remote, quiet little place where you can relax and go for walks and have the total "sea-experience", the this is the place! Plus, there is a swimming-pool, a few bars and restaurants etc, so it's only almost like you're at the edge of the world.

Helgoland, a red rock in the Northsea

by Pavlik_NL

"Vikings, Pirates, English, Danes and Germans"

Having friends somewhere else is great. I met some wintersportfriends in Austria that lived in Cuxhaven, way up North in Germany (the part of the country that resambles The Netherlands completely). Bremen is here a wonderful town with Hanze-history (the old trading-treaty that connected towns from Russian Novgorod until Doesburg (near my hometown Arnhem in The Netherlands). In the Altstadt (Oldtown) many buildings remind of these rich days of Bremen. Cuxhaven itself lies at the Elbe-mouth and along the Wadden-islands. The Waddensea stretches North over Holland, Germany and West from Denmark. This is a very special natural habitat as during low-tide the area is dry, yet during high-tide it's sea. Only the protecting chain of islands hold out the raging waters of the Northsea. It is a very special adventure (best done in Northern Netherlands) to walk once from the mainland "through the sea" to one of the islands. Do it with a professional guide! as we do not want you to drown as the tide unexpectedly runs in. Onto the Northsea there is a very strange island: Helgoland. Well, island, you can better say a huge redsand cliff that sticks above the water. It has belonged to the Danish, the English, pirates and now it is German (strategic it's a important place that holds the Deutsche Bugt and the entrance of the Elbe-river). The red cliffs are very high and withstand the forces of wind and water for already many millenia. Of course the inhabitants of the island gave them pretty names, like on the picture: Long Anna

Comments