Martenshofweg 2-8, Kiel 24109

At the City-centre harbourAt the City-centre harbour

Travel Tips for Kiel

Kiel

by Gili_S

I visited this city few times long time ago. Each time was only for few hours and I never actually spend the night over here. Maybe I will visit again one day, meanwhile you can check the official site, which is available also in English:
www.kiel.de

Kieler Schiffahrtsmuseum und Museumsbrücke

by Gentleman75

Well, I'm in a German shipping museum again. There are a lot of smaller-bigger shipping museums in the sea-side cities (Wilhelmshaven, Laboe, Flensburg, Bremerhaven etc) in Germany and I like to visit these ones very much.

Opening hours:
10 - 18 every day
from 15th October to 14th April:
10-17 tuesday to saturday
Museumsbrücke closed

City of Sails

by Audrey118

We spent a wonderful 5 days holiday in Kiel, which is very far north of Germany.

VT member Sjalen did well warn me about being sensible with dressing up while I am in this part of the country and you really need thermal wear (espeically in October) and a good wind breaker. Now that u are geared up with all that warm clothing, you are asured of a very nice relaxing holiday here.

Kiel is rather small, you can roam around and look at the charming old town, walk around it, cycle around it and sail around it. It is definetely more than a port where many large cruise liner calls at.

The roads here are made for cyclist -the red path parralel to the pedestrian walk are meant for them. In Kiel , you can rent a bicycle. The hotel we stayed in also have walking guides.

ooh - while you are here - be sure to take a lot of long breathe - the air here is so clean and crisp - it just overhauls your lungs!!!!

If you are into eating - Kiel has lots to offer. The great catch of the sea is so fresh, and the Kiel gourmet food also see lots of potatoes and fresh mushrooms to offer. Funny but I think the Germans up here eat a lot of pork. We had wonderful experience at most of the eateries we ventured...even the sausage and mayo chips proved to be yummy!!

"Patron of Sailors - St Nikolai"

Many of Germany's port or harbour city would have a St Nikolia church, and Kiel has one beautiful one worth seeing.

Although the church building was not spared of the bombings of the war, by 1950 the reconstruction was completed. But much of the artworks of were preserved and can still be seen - check out my travelogue for more details and pictures

Comments