A-Rosa Travemunde

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Lübeck

Cafe NiedereggerCafe Niederegger

Salt warehousesSalt warehouses

Beautiful, but beware!Beautiful, but beware!

Alt LubeckAlt Lubeck

Train to Hamburg

by SwedeSarah

I read somewhere that there are 2 seperate tariffs; DB Bahn's if you take a IC or EC train or SH's tariff if you use a local train. I want to take the local train. Is there a special ticket that I should ask for (so I don't get the fast train)? How much does the local train to Hamburg cost? Is there a special ticket where local transportation in Hamburg is included because I have to continue with bus to my final destination.

I would really appreciate any help because I feel quite confused at the moment!

by HansDK

You can use a Schlewig-Holstein Ticket. Read more here: http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/prices/germany/laender_tickets.shtml

Local train from Lübeck to Hamburg cos EUR 11.90.
You can read more about SH tariff here: http://www.nah-sh.de/ (German only).

by leics

You will probably find that the ticket machines at Lubeck station have English options (assuming you don't speak German). All the machines I've come across in Germany do. They are easy to use and take coins, notes and/or cards.

It is better to buy your ticket from the machine rather than the ticket office. It's a bit cheaper.

You'll find the Laender tickets listed on the machine options.

Lubeck>Hamburg is 15.50 euro one-way on IC. Regional trains will be cheaper. So 20 euro for a Laender ticket may not be the cheapest way, if you are only using it for one train and one bus fare.

by SwedeSarah

Ah yes, a Laender ticket would indeed be more expensive. Getting a single ticket with local train sounds like the best option! Thanks for the help!

by Potato-Brigade

Lycka till, Sarah!

by abalada

> Is there a special ticket where local transportation in Hamburg is included because I have to continue with bus to my final destination.
SH tariff tickets are local public transport zone-to-zone tickets. You can travel from any point in one city to any point in the other city.
Thus all what the HVV has on offer for Hamburg.
But note that out of the many type of buses they have in Hamburg, the SchnellBus limited-stop service requires a 1st class ticket or a supplement (EUR 1,40).

by Bernd_L

In case you are not travelling alone the Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket might be the better option, because these Länder-Tickets are valid for up to 5 persons.

by scottymuch

23552 Lübeck

Tel: +49 (0) 4 51-1 22 54 07
Fax: +49 (0) 4 51-1 22 54 19

Internet
- www.luebeck-tourism.de (different languages)
- www.alemania-turismo.com/pages_ms/luebeck_esp.htm (spanish)

Having a beer

by sim1

I think the best thing about the restaurant was having taste of one of the many German beers. As we were in Germany we of course wanted to taste one of the local beer. Duckstein was on tap in the restaurant, so that's the one we choose for. This beer is of course made according to the 'German Rheinheitsgebot'. This means that the beer is brewed solely of water, hop, malt and yeast. If you want to know more about this beer you can have a look at their website :
http://www.duckstein.de/ (website is in German).

Different types of gables

by sim1

I started off the day really early; I left home around 4 in the morning to catch my plane from Stockholm to Luebeck at 7 o'clock. That was great though, as that meant I would arrive in Luebeck really early and I had a full to stroll around and enjoy the sights.
This picture was taken early morning (around 9) and it wasn't that light outside yet; partly because of the dreary weather and partly because of the time of the day. I visited Luebeck in the middle of December, so the days are rather short and dark, hahaha, although it's not as bad as in Sweden.
I walked from the city centre towards the Holstentor and I was right away taken by seeing all the different gables on the houses. Of course I started taking some pictures right away. These houses are at the 'An der Obertrave' street and you can see several shapes of gables on the houses. I've seen more beautiful houses after that, but the bad weather didn't make me that enthusiastic to keep on clicking my camera. But this gives you a bit of an impression what Luebeck looks like.

Puppenbruecke bridge

by Rupanworld

Next, from the Lindenplatz area, we moved towards the Holstentor. On way we had to cross the Puppenbruecke bridge on the Trave river. Its a bridge full of beautiful statues and being a great art and sculpture enthusiast, I was totally taken away by it. I spent sometime there taking photographs, but ofcourse I was not the only one, every tourist crossing the bridge was appreciating the uniqueness of the pieces of art.

The Holstentor

by Rupanworld

After crossing the bridge, we crossed the road, walked about 20 steps and we were in front of a beauty. The Holstentor was an overwhelming experience. The Holstentor is a big gate opening to the old town of Luebeck. It was built between 1464 and 1478 by the council architect Hinrich Helmestede following the example of Flandric Bridge gates. It was the middle gate of the four town gates. The city was then well protected with walls and the Holstentor was one of the gates through which entry had to be made from outside. Inside the Holstentor is a museum. Like many cities in Germany, Luebeck was also heavily bombed during the World War II but thankfully, the Holstentor escaped any damage. The gate was reconstructed between 1863 and 1871 and then again between 1933 and 1934. It is a thing to remember all life. (More photos in my Travelogue)

Comments